One type of sun lighting makes my avatar look terrible.

You may have no control over other people’s lighting but if you see a good looking avatar they will probably have personal lighting to make themselves look good. Hence, you will look good to them. So no worries.

• Like 1

Honestly since midday is the worst, it's actually really nice to use when I work on skins.

I basically make it look nice in midday and use midday in the ad images. If it looks good in midday, it'll look good on better lighting settings too. It being the most "neutral" light helps a lot too.

Edited by LilithServil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other graphics settings, in addition to WL or EEP, can also make a difference.  If I'm running with shadows on, then I don't have any issues with how the viewer's default midday setting makes my avatar look.  

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Janet Voxel said:

Yeah, basically what everyone is telling you about having no control over how people see you is true. Things like having a different viewer and not having ALM enabled can make a big difference in how SL appears.

Some facelights can be good. I use one that has different settings, so on the lowest settings it does its job without lighting up the entire sim.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Facelight-Pro/16621523

Thanks for the recommendation, I really like this.  I was given a facelight by a friend who designed one for me in 2012, but not adjustable. Well it became a part of "me" so never really thought about it that much until lately when I realized how annoying it could be to others especially with some common settings.  Although I admit, I'll miss the dual use of facelight and flashlight to light up the way ahead through a cave somewhere.  If I need to go spelunking or light my way through a creepy dark house, I'll find other means of doing so, like a flashlight attachment.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, Elinah Iredell said:

yes I guess that is my concern what is the point of getting a nice skin, and working on your shape, buying an expensive mesh head, and then going to a sim with terrible lighting  and you look awful? 

Because I look good to me....which may sound really vain but I can't control if someone is using the lowest settings or the highest ones, what kind of light they are using, if they have attached lights or particles derendered, if they have local lights turned on or off or any number of things that effect how I may look to someone. I knew several people who didn't upgrade to BOM compatible viewers until they absolutely had to (same thing with mesh). 

Those things I have no control over and if I try to make sure that my avatar looks good in every possible combination then I'd never get dressed and go out in SL. 

I control what I can control--which is how I look on my viewer.

• Like 1