Help with reflective floor

Sgur

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi I’m brand new to second life I need help with making my floor reflective. There is a free guide on how to but I don’t understand how to do the things on it. Can someone help me please 

1) make a copy of everything above your floor and then rotate it so that it is upside down

2) Create an empty void below your floor

2) place everything that you copied below your floor, so that it meets up nicely in a mirror image.

3) Set your floor to about 20% transparency and then tweak as desired. 

12 answers to this question

That's a very nice, old method.  It can look really cool.  The downside, of course, is that it doubles the amount of stuff (and therefore the L.I.) on your land.  It's a lot of work for a pretty high cost.

It's not quite as simple as your four steps suggest, though.  That very first step is wrong.  You can't create a mirror image by rotating all the stuff above the floor.  You have to actually reconstruct the stuff (sometimes painstakingly creating new mirrored copies in Blender or with prims) and then build a flipped version of the same scene beneath the floor.  You can cheat a bit by only copying the big things, including less detail, and counting on lower light level and the semi-transparency of the floor to fool people into thinking there's more down there than there really is.  When it's done well, it is very convincing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a very nice, old method.  It can look really cool.  The downside, of course, is that it doubles the amount of stuff (and therefore the L.I.) on your land.  It's a lot of work for a pretty high cost.

It's not quite as simple as your four steps suggest, though.  That very first step is wrong.  You can't create a mirror image by rotating all the stuff above the floor.  You have to actually reconstruct the stuff (sometimes painstakingly creating new mirrored copies in Blender or with prims) and then build a flipped version of the same scene beneath the floor.  You can cheat a bit by only copying the big things, including less detail, and counting on lower light level and the semi-transparency of the floor to fool people into thinking there's more down there than there really is.  When it's done well, it is very convincing. 

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ok thank you for helping me out. I will try that when I’m a little more advanced on second life

The thing is, there's no actual reflective textures in SL. So, as Rolig (and the tutorial you read) suggest, you have to fake it. A number of ballrooms and other places with large, fancy floors have managed it by creating a mirror image copy of the things above the floor and placing them under the floor. Then the floor is made semi transparent and it looks like the objects above the floor are being reflected.

I saw a simulation using a shiny prim floor with a projector shining down on it.  The projection was a photograph of the room and contents.  It was kinda strange but might suffice.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'd like to see that, Ardy...do you remember where it was?

It was in region Perry, but has been gone for a long time now.

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.