Mainland & Social Norms - Did I miss any?

Feorie Frimon

On 7/21/2021 at 5:27 PM, Feorie Frimon said:

I know I might not make any friends with this video... but I'm just sayin' what everyone is thinkin'.... 

The idea for operation mainland reminds me of the Open Seas Project that Indigo Mertal set up about 12 years ago. I think the group is pretty much dead now, and Indigo left East River Community a couple of years ago so don't think they are around in SL, much if at all.

But you might find their resources box of some use, even if just as an idea for marketing, you can find it scattered around many locations. I have one at my Fudo parcel here: you might be able to repurpose the notecards giving advice on land settings, or the letter to give to owners to explain why they should make their land more traffic friendly.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Elena Core said:

I loved your video @Feorie Frimon, I agree with most of your points, that is why I chose Campbell Coast to live for quite some time.

Despite having been in SL for many years, it wasn't until recently that I started living in Mainland. I could be such an amazing place and explore; it is great to hear some people are trying to make it more beautiful

When watching you derender that massive wall, have you tried selecting a whole area? I tend to derender everything around me, I started doing it piece by piece, or clicking on several, till I found out one can select your whole screen! Maybe it is just new to me 

I still can't get this to work (using Firestorm).  As soon as I try to derender, it changes the selection from a bunch of stuff to just the latest object selected.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I actually did try, but it didn’t work. I actually did it in that video but ended up having to manually select different objects in a group then derendering them. 
Was there a trick I missed? 

6 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I think you can derender from area-search?

Yes! I have had just this problem. When I draw up a box around a whole lot of others items, the box disappear before I can derender. I did just as others described to me, selected one object and draw a box around others. They are outlined with yellow. But before I can derender it reverts so only the first object is selected.

But it works like a dream in area search! I got this beautiful view by derendering 2 neighbors until I got the "pretty" one in view.

I used area search and you can choose either owner or group. The owner option simply would not work on one parcel, but then I selected group and hit "find".

Then I got this wonderful list and I can select all on the pace by selecting the first and last while holding down the shift key. Repeat on all pages until clear!

neigh_002.png

neigh_004.png

Edited by Marianne Little
I edited a picture and added more info
  • Like 4

@Feorie Frimon @Quistess Alpha @Rabid Cheetah @Marianne Little, these are the steps I follow:

- click on any object and select edit

- then hover the mouse into the screen, an arrow should appear

- (make sure the object is still selected) now click in any empty point, like the sky, and drag the mouse until the area hows up in yellow

- now click on derender

I hope it helps, I'm not really good at technical explanations. The key for this to work is having selected an object to be derendered before selecting the whole area

Edited by Elena Core
grammar
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

I still can't get this to work (using Firestorm).  As soon as I try to derender, it changes the selection from a bunch of stuff to just the latest object selected.

You might need to make sure you have the right options set in the build menu in particular select by surrounding

select.png.a40187dd1f85db16bf0485e27ac1ea7f.png

• Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

You might need to make sure you have the right options set in the build menu in particular select by surrounding

I can log in and look. But I can select my own items by surrounding them. It is only on others objects it will not work. I have unchecked "Select only My Objects" too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I can log in and look. But I can select my own items by surrounding them. It is only on others objects it will not work. I have unchecked "Select only My Objects" too.

do you have include group-owned objects selected as well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I very rarely derender anything.

I find reducing my draw distance works perfectly fine most of the time and has the added bonus of making my stuff rezz quicker

Even knocking a couple of meters off can have a decent impact.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Wait.  There...there's a build menu?

I've never noticed that.  I usually just click the ground and select "Create".

Thankyou.  I've got a new toy to play with.  🙂 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Well, already had these settings, it still wouldn't work...until I looked and noticed I didn't have "show selection beam" checked.  So I checked it, and then it worked. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/25/2021 at 12:08 AM, Aethelwine said:

The idea for operation mainland reminds me of the Open Seas Project that Indigo Mertal set up about 12 years ago. I think the group is pretty much dead now, and Indigo left East River Community a couple of years ago so don't think they are around in SL, much if at all.

But you might find their resources box of some use, even if just as an idea for marketing, you can find it scattered around many locations. I have one at my Fudo parcel here: you might be able to repurpose the notecards giving advice on land settings, or the letter to give to owners to explain why they should make their land more traffic friendly.

I found the Open Seas Project Box - good information, and a beautiful parcel! http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fudo/20/149/22

Snapshot _ Aethelwine at Fudo, Fudo (20, 148, 21) - Moderate.jpg

• Like 3

A few minor mainland norms. These are not mandatory, but are suggested.

• It's sort of a norm that gas stations are rez zones. You can repair your vehicle, or switch vehicles, or rez a vehicle. It's not required, but most of the time, it's followed.
  • Commercial  buildings with a parking lot usually allow allow object entry and some time before object return, so you can stop and shop. A "30 minute parking" sign is a nice touch. Allowing rezzing in your parking lot is optional. Totally unusable parking lots are allowed, but pointless.
  • If you have a ban line up against a public road or waterway, put up a physical fence or wall on roads, and keep out buoys on waterways. Nobody wants to hit your ban line by accident.
  • Before putting up large FOR RENT signs, read LL ad policy. Floating, rotating, glowing, or more than 8 meters above ground are reportable. This is much less of a problem than it was 2 years ago.
  • Like 2