Mainland & Social Norms - Did I miss any?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'll still take a banline or a physical barrier blocking my vehicle any day over a no-warning tp-home orb.  The former creates a navigational problem, usually solved by using edit object to move the vehicle.  The later ends the journey entirely.  Wrecking the prettiness of my view is a moot point, as @Mollymews pointed out in regards to a simple viewer toggle.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Zero second orbs across the whole parcel are anti-social on a whole other level of obnoxiousness. 

But if you are wanting a physical barrier then a fence or wall is the way to do it, not a banline. 

Totally agree.  Personally, I don't put up any barriers.

17 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Totally agree.  Personally, I don't put up any barriers.

Same here - not that I'm inviting the world, but if someone stumbles across my little houseboat and wants to go inside...go for it. The likelyhood of us being online at the same time is small and they can't drop prims unless they are in the land group. Worst comes to worst, I can always eject them from the parcel if things get weird. 

• Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Can you say more about your "Operation Mainland" and how you propose to enlarge these principles? Have a group that those willing to adhere to these principles can join and put a symbol on their properties?

I've actually thought about doing a video about this specifically and putting up information at a HUB I'm working on. I have an in world group that people can join (though I think it's just me, and like, 5 others right now). You can search it - Operation Mainland. I have only sent out one notice so far and don't plan to send out many unless there is something significant to say. Origionally, the goal was to do just what you suggested - get a group of big time land lords (and regular residents) together that all agree on / decide on the 'principles we're willing to adhere to', and then put out some sort of signage so other people could see and join them too. I was going to send out 'seasonal branded gifts' too that people could put in their yards as well, so they could change with the season while still telling people about the initiative as well (Think 'pumpkins' for Fall or luminaras or snowmen for Winter).The project is so small right now that it doesn't really have a big enough following do that just yet. Buuuuuuut.... that being said, a big name like you would go a long way to helping the cause. 😁

Seriously though... I'd love to do a meet up and establish some of those standards for people to try and follow. I don't want to be everyone's 'land marshall', but for an initiative like this, we're always stonger in numbers and I think there are alot of people that want to make the mainland better and try their hand at renting or real estate in SL. Having good info out there from the get go would really help to create good habits from the beginning, and the more interesting and beautiful places people know about on the mainland, the more likely residents are to rent/visit from those areas as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Uh, no, toggling the ban line box on and off as needed doesn't mean they're turned off forever, any more than it means they're turned on forever.  Why is everyone obsessed with a toggle being a permanent setting?  It's not.

You don't want to know how many people change a setting in SL and then forget they did it immediately. Rolling up to viewer support weeks or months later and have someone sherlock out what happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You don't want to know how many people change a setting in SL and then forget they did it immediately. Rolling up to viewer support weeks or months later and have someone sherlock out what happened.

I have absolutely no idea why, when or even how I managed to block myself either,  it took a very clever There in Spirit support person to work that out from the problems I was having using their system, before I knew.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Someone with a small beach parcel with an incredible view after you de-rendered their skybox-on-the-ground 64 meter high panel walls...the interior of which depicted...wait for it...a beach scene

uselesswall.thumb.jpg.82c764224945b4f906829d5aeb07f2c3.jpg

At last, we've hidden the forest with a picture of a forest!

I want LL to offer LL-operated islands of isolated parcels, and a free move and land swap, to people who have walls on mainland. They should be moved to regions that look like this:

isolationcontinent.thumb.jpg.06ffd00fbfcaa8dfdd03bf8cb4ff9d3f.jpg

Build all the walls you want, and stay in your own square. This region is run by a private landlord. LL should have a product like this, for people who want to buy directly from LL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

Zero second orbs across the whole parcel are anti-social on a whole other level of obnoxiousness. 

But if you are wanting a physical barrier then a fence or wall is the way to do it, not a banline. 

100% agree. Although I'll add that I'm one of those that prefers my SL to look as realistically close to my RL as possible, so I'd love it if ban lines simply appeared as cute picket fences (or chain-link, split rail, wrought iron... whatever floats your boat), instead of ugly yellow stripes. But I get it that not everyone else in SL has the same opinions and preferences as me.  

6 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Same here - not that I'm inviting the world, but if someone stumbles across my little houseboat and wants to go inside...go for it. The likelyhood of us being online at the same time is small and they can't drop prims unless they are in the land group. Worst comes to worst, I can always eject them from the parcel if things get weird. 

Exactly. Maybe I'm just not that hung up on privacy in SL, but I don't mind at all if people come wandering through my place. I rather like knowing that what I've built can be explored and enjoyed by others. I allow rez too, but there's a time limit unless they're in the group. But if you show up with your prim boobies or pecker hanging out, you're gonna get kicked. lol

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is me, constantly feeling like a noob. If I take a break longer than two or three months from SL, I basically have to restart at Welcome Island. 🙄 Sucks getting older and forgetting everything.

• Like 3

I've never liked ban lines, so won't use them. Instead on one or two parcels, if needed, I've put up an invisible panel, just so folks enter the parcel through the gate/door etc, like they should. I don't expect visitors in RL to enter through the window, it's what doors are for ☺️. I like people to see the small attempts I've had at creating a space to share. However I have ban lines set to visible, I've broken my nose so many times hitting one by mistake so like to know where I'm not meant to be! The downside to having them visible is that an immediate neighbor has her ban lines up, even though she has nothing rezzed at ground level, so if I sit too close I can see them (the ban lines, not the neighbor) 😕

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No, I totally get that.  I have no qualms about playing around with software, in a curious "what does THIS button do" mindset.  I've made a lot of money over the years in real life from doing just that, then advising the folks scared they're gonna break something how to use their software -- an irrational fear which I have empathy for, but realize it's the other side of what kept me employed for so many years...and which caused a glut in tech support jobs once folks got more comfy with and adapt at using their digital devices.

But I digress.  SL has a steep learning curve these days.  But I'd put "learning how to toggle ban lines" towards the beginning of simple things to remember how to do, if I were making training material for LL's users, over more complex things like LOD, mesh, and detaching uneeded scripts from objects.  But I hear ya:  With such a fun software, who wants to learn all the techy nitty gritty of all the various viewer settings?  Let's just play!  🙂

7 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I have absolutely no idea why, when or even how I managed to block myself either,  it took a very clever There in Spirit support person to work that out from the problems I was having using their system, before I knew.

Wait, you blocked YOURSELF?  This I gotta hear  🍿

3 hours ago, Trinity Heartsong said:

I'd love it if ban lines simply appeared as cute picket fences (or chain-link, split rail, wrought iron... whatever floats your boat), instead of ugly yellow stripes. 

Great idea!  That's the way to do it.  So of course people instead make those giant yellow banline-inspired parcel border markers for folks who dare to turn off ban lines and property lines.  "Yer gonna know this land is MINE even if you're a kilometer away!" 🙄

• Like 2

But if you show up with your prim boobies or pecker hanging out, you're gonna get kicked. lol

Same here, but not before I take a picture and humiliate you on the forums lol

304314690_tryingtoohardcensored.thumb.png.3a8a0f953ed19f601088c58d481ef96d.png

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Can I just say I recently, in the past few months, started buying mainland instead of renting private sims and I love it....except for the ban lines.  Now I know I can turn them off in settings but that means every time I have a guest come over..Before I can start the tour of my land, I have to say wait a minute...go to preferences...etc..  It's quite annoying.  Also I've noticed that when I buy a new piece of land...It never fails that even if there aren't any ban lines when I purchase the land, that most of the neighbors put them up after I move in.  Not sure if they just don't like neighbors, if they're trying to get me to move, or actually think I'm going to break into their 512 sq m plot when I have 4096 sq m of my own next to them.  LOL  And so what I try to do is landscape around the ban lines...meaning put trees, hills, etc...near them so that I won't walk to close to them.  But if they put the ban lines up after I've started landscaping, it is really a headache.  The reason why I don't get tiny plots is mainly because I need the prims for my Zooby babies but also because if I get a tiny plot and someone puts their ban lines up next to me...the whole plot is ruined.  That's just my 2 cents on the ban line thing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYGiantschick83 said:

Not sure if they just don't like neighbors, if they're trying to get me to move

Probably trying to get you to move...and here's why lol

7 minutes ago, NYGiantschick83 said:

I need the prims for my Zooby babies

😁

[JK, I like babies, and will search a whole region for them if I hear them saying "goo goo" or "gah gah"]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, NYGiantschick83 said:

Can I just say I recently, in the past few months, started buying mainland instead of renting private sims and I love it....except for the ban lines.  Now I know I can turn them off in settings but that means every time I have a guest come over..Before I can start the tour of my land, I have to say wait a minute...go to preferences...etc..  It's quite annoying.  Also I've noticed that when I buy a new piece of land...It never fails that even if there aren't any ban lines when I purchase the land, that most of the neighbors put them up after I move in.  Not sure if they just don't like neighbors, if they're trying to get me to move, or actually think I'm going to break into their 512 sq m plot when I have 4096 sq m of my own next to them.  LOL  And so what I try to do is landscape around the ban lines...meaning put trees, hills, etc...near them so that I won't walk to close to them.  But if they put the ban lines up after I've started landscaping, it is really a headache.  The reason why I don't get tiny plots is mainly because I need the prims for my Zooby babies but also because if I get a tiny plot and someone puts their ban lines up next to me...the whole plot is ruined.  That's just my 2 cents on the ban line thing.  

I've learned to go up to the edges of the parcel for sale. Ban lines from neighbors... not gonna buy, sorry, especially if all four boundaries have ban lines.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Same here, but not before I take a picture and humiliate you on the forums lol

304314690_tryingtoohardcensored.thumb.png.3a8a0f953ed19f601088c58d481ef96d.png

Oh what fun if this had been recently. You could have invited us all, en masse!😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TlIIy said:

I've learned to go up to the edges of the parcel for sale. Ban lines from neighbors... not gonna buy, sorry, especially if all four boundaries have ban lines.

Right!  And the sad thing is...I've seen absolutely beautiful parcels...even protected on some sides but then there's horrible ban lines in the way.  I guess it depends on the parcel for me...If I stick to larger parcels and can see the potential to landscape around it, then I'll still buy it.  Also with ban lines people have to consider how hard it's going to be for explorers to get to their parcel from other parts of the sim.  If someone has ban lines on all 4 sides of their parcel, then unless they have the LM or fly up 50 m, then they will never be able to discover their parcel.  I have a parcel in the snowlands and 3 of my neighbors put up ban lines.  When I'm flying around looking at the rest of the land, and start to fly home...I am constantly bumped all around my land bc of my annoying neighbors.  Which is sad..because it's supposed to be a Santa's village and factory that anyone can visit year round.  I almost put a giant Santa up on all sides of the ban lines but decided not to be petty.  LOL  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

on my wishlist is an ability to reduce the height of the banline box

i would quite like to be able to reduce it down to 4 meters, which for me is about the height of a room.  With the XY I can cut a sub-parcel for the room so am ok on that

sure I could put in a zero-time access script which kills anyone who comes into my room, but I prefer to be pre-emptive

• Like 2

I loved your video @Feorie Frimon, I agree with most of your points, that is why I chose Campbell Coast to live for quite some time.

Despite having been in SL for many years, it wasn't until recently that I started living in Mainland. I could be such an amazing place and explore; it is great to hear some people are trying to make it more beautiful

When watching you derender that massive wall, have you tried selecting a whole area? I tend to derender everything around me, I started doing it piece by piece, or clicking on several, till I found out one can select your whole screen! Maybe it is just new to me 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elena Core said:

I loved your video @Feorie Frimon, I agree with most of your points, that is why I chose Campbell Coast to live for quite some time.

Despite having been in SL for many years, it wasn't until recently that I started living in Mainland. I could be such an amazing place and explore; it is great to hear some people are trying to make it more beautiful

When watching you derender that massive wall, have you tried selecting a whole area? I tend to derender everything around me, I started doing it piece by piece, or clicking on several, till I found out one can select your whole screen! Maybe it is just new to me 

I actually did try, but it didn’t work. I actually did it in that video but ended up having to manually select different objects in a group then derendering them. 
Was there a trick I missed? 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.