Bellasserian Covenant

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So it seems the Bellasserian Covenant announcement of May was pushed out now (I didn't receive it but I'm only in the old Linden homes and I don't see it on my alts' email either but then I haven't checked them all and maybe it was lost). And people were discussing this in the group Bellasserian Citizen. 

Patch appeared and explained it is not new or changed, but that due to a glitch it didn't go out in May, so now seemed like a good time to push it out again since so many violations are popping up.

You can see the covenant on the land menu. It's very lengthy and detailed. It seems reasonable enough, although the bit about the holiday decorations seems excessively controlling. That point, and others aren't enforced so well -- I see Christmas trees in July but it doesn't bother me.

One of the points that seems reasonable but likely to get static is that you can only have two breedables and their food. Yikes, I have to get busy culling my kitties. So this led to edge-casing -- what if they were permapets without food or breeding, could have have more than two?

Our own @Sig Nagy asked if we were allowed to live in the Linden Homes still, and Patch deadpanned "Yes."

Reminds me of that time Lee Linden told me frankly that the sims work their best when there are no avatars on them.

Unless someone was encroaching right into my house with a breeding barn or some giant unauthorized build, I doubt I would rat them out. No doubt plenty of hall monitors will be found in Belli, but it's a big place, you know? I see vendors and tip jars unmolested for months on end and green screens left up on roofs. What a chore to police this or even respond to ARs.

I just moved to a new Stilt location, and was looking for reasons why there was so much lag. Not surprisingly, one of my closest neighbors has breedables, and there is a fish temp razzed nearby as well. I just sent this message, in hopes that I don't have to report them:

HI, I am reaching out to you because I recently moved into a stilt home in [region name] near you. I noticed that the lag in this region is pretty heavy and so I went looking for reasons. It appears that you have a number of breedable Kitty Cats on your parcel. The linden homes covenant only allows for two. Also, you may be the owner of a fish temp rezzer (I apologize if this is not the case). If those rez prims they are banned in the covenant as well. I wanted to be more of a friendly neighbor and  reach out to you (instead of reporting you) since you may not be aware of the limitations in the covenant. 

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Trinity1776 said:

I just moved to a new Stilt location, and was looking for reasons why there was so much lag. Not surprisingly, one of my closest neighbors has breedables, and there is a fish temp razzed nearby as well. I just sent this message, in hopes that I don't have to report them:

HI, I am reaching out to you because I recently moved into a stilt home in [region name] near you. I noticed that the lag in this region is pretty heavy and so I went looking for reasons. It appears that you have a number of breedable Kitty Cats on your parcel. The linden homes covenant only allows for two. Also, you may be the owner of a fish temp rezzer (I apologize if this is not the case). If those rez prims they are banned in the covenant as well. I wanted to be more of a friendly neighbor and  reach out to you (instead of reporting you) since you may not be aware of the limitations in the covenant. 

So clear, polite and gentle; I wish all of our neighbors could be so thoughtful!  And I hope you get a friendly response.

Edited by Leora Greenwood
can't type
  • Like 6

I'd also like to know about the permapets/forever pets. I have a few kittycats like that. They don't eat and they don't breed, but will they be counted simply because of the brand?

There were events that caused the changes to the rules though, so they're not just random. There were no breedable rules until people turned houses into breedable farms. There were no seasonal decoration rules until people started reporting others for being out of theme for putting out decorations and it was causing arguments. I don't think most of us would report someone for putting out pumpkins for Hallowe'en, but I guess enough were doing it to cause a problem.

16 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

One of the points that seems reasonable but likely to get static is that you can only have two breedables and their food. Yikes, I have to get busy culling my kitties. So this led to edge-casing -- what if they were permapets without food or breeding, could have have more than two?

I am the person who asked in Bellisseria Citizens chat about permapets...  "Do they count as breedables and have to be limited to two?" Both Patch and one of the moles answered that they do. It is a clear and concise answer an I am no longer confused on that issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just as IRL, some people can go overboard in the decorations, some of which cause lag. Come to think of it, we do have "lag" IRL when people go overboard with Christmas decorations...it's called "Tacky Lights Tours." If you've ever tried to get to your house that is near one of those places, you know what I mean.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I am the person who asked in Bellisseria Citizens chat about permapets...  "Do they count as breedables and have to be limited to two?" Both Patch and one of the moles answered that they do. It is a clear and concise answer an I am no longer confused on that issue.

This. It's not the fact that they are breeding that makes them laggy, it's being physical and moving around.

Limiting residences to two such pets is common in other rental estates as well as Bellisseria. If you want to keep more than that, you need to put them on mainland, or a rental that's specifically for the purpose.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

Just as IRL, some people can go overboard in the decorations, some of which cause lag. Come to think of it, we do have "lag" IRL when people go overboard with Christmas decorations...it's called "Tacky Lights Tours." If you've ever tried to get to your house that is near one of those places, you know what I mean.

I plead the Fifth.... 😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Trinity1776 said:

So, is there a similar restriction to wandering pets, like Jian?

No. Jian's pets do not use physics (easily checked in the build popup), and besides, I don't see anything in the covenant specifically mentioning physics.  They walk through walls. They can, however, collide with any physical objects you may have around (like yourself!).  It is amusing to rez a big physical plane in a sandbox and watch a wandering Jian puppy shove it around.  Also, Jain pets can be set phantom via menu, if you want them to be able to walk through you.

The only issue I have with Jian wanderers is the endlessly active script, which is constantly turning alphas on an off to make it look like the animal is moving, as well as changing the animal's position from place to place. (actually, at LOD 2, the alpha on/off technique of simulating animation doesn't work very well for me - lots of flicker and breakup on the animal).

I have a Jinx wandering pet, and it DOES use physics, but it is also phantom, so generates no collisions.

Having a lot of physics happening in a region can slow the whole region down.   (Note that boats and other vehicles are generally physical when in motion.) Long ago, one estate we were on had a couple of physical deer endlessly climbing up a steep, rocky hill.  They would get to a certain point and slide back down, very amusing, about a bazillion collisions.  Noticeable effect on region performance.  Makers of most modern animals are careful about physics, but it may be an issue with old pets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The rules will quickly get unworkable if they include all pets. Some features will use up more resources than others, but we're getting into features that aren't unique to pets and most people don't understand how their decor items work anyway. We really don't need a pet police counting anything that looks vaguely like a moving animal and reporting it. That'll be annoying for other residents, but also clog the system with pointless abuse reports.

That said, I wouldn't recommend placing too many items that appear to move constantly or contact servers regularly, regardless of how they do it and whether they're pets or not. Some things will lag the viewer rather than the region, but you're still not going to make friends if you create the garden of twenty lag fountains.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

This. It's not the fact that they are breeding that makes them laggy, it's being physical and moving around.

I thought it was the scripting that is involved in the breeding aspect.  KittyCats and some of the other wandering pets can be set to not actually move.  If it is the movement only, I would have thought that the covenant would say something about moving animals instead of specifically saying something about breeding.  

@Abnor Mole or @Patch Linden-- Is the the moving around of the pets, or the scripting stuff related to the breedables (eating and/or breeding) or something else entirely????  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though I have a Linden home, I log into a skybox where my breedables are embraced and welcomed. I had rented for years on a private estate where I devoted all my prims to my breedables. I rarely furnished a home. Then one day a neighbor complained about lag on the region. The finger was pointed at me. I never had movement or sound on my animals, trying to be the best neighbor possible. I don’t know if breedables have a bad rep that stems from the Scion/Sion (sp?) chicken era. Breedables have come a long way, since then. Nonetheless I’m not advocating for breedables farms to be allowed in Linden homes. 

• Like 2

Marisa, your last sentence pretty. much sums up the point = the covenant only allows two and so a linden home resident can't run a breedable farm. Other regions, it is up to the region owner.

Region owners have the right to make these kind of decisions. For a different example, I was at Uber a while ago (just one of the cam sims, no I didn't get into the event itself). - there's now  a notice that pops up asking folks to take off any unnecessary HUDs, pet attachments and particles (hurray for that, I wish more people would get the message that it's an awful experience to go to an event or a store participating in a weekly sale, have things rez slowly due to the volume of people there, and have someone nearby shooting out particle hearts or sparkles or whatever). That has been added to the signs that have been up for a while at the cam sims that say if you keep pounding your avatar against the edge of the main sim, they'll eject you.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.