Need some advice please :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I bought a little piece of land ( my first ) and I just find out the owner of the estate will abandon the entire land so I imagine it will affect me and the others living there.  I'm wondering what will happen next. Will I keep my parcel? Lose it? Should I sell it? Abandon? I'm completely lost and need advice pls pls 

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear this.  What happened is you DIDN'T buy a little piece of land,  You RENTED it.  While renting has many advantages, you are now experiencing one of the disadvantages.  You will NOT keep your parcel, as the server will be shut down.  Your only hope would be to arrange a server transfer, if you or a group of current residents could pool your money and make the current owner an offer.  Even so, you'd also have the continuing monthly cost of renting a server.  None of this is cheap.  It's a long shot, but you might find a real estate investor and act as a go-between between them and the current owner to arrange a server transfer -- though you'd still have to deal with the possibility of the new owner selling or shutting down the service at any moment without notice.

It's nice that the current server owner let everyone know their plans so it at least doesn't come as a shock.  It doesn't always happen that way.

This is all assuming that you're on a private server.  If you're on the Mainland, you've got more options.  You could ask the parcel owner to subdivide the land and sell the little portion you're on to you.  This will most likely be acceptable to your landlord, as they at least get some $L for a partial sale of the land;  Completely abandoning the land won't earn them a cent.  Your other option would be to deal with the land abandonment, which would involve all your stuff being returned to you (and the house and landscaping to your landlord if these belong to them and not you) by Linden Labs when they seize the land.  Then put in a ticket for the abandoned land, being very specific about the little part of it that you want.  Linden will charge $L 1 per m2, so only do this if the current owner charges beyond that and you can deal with all the stuff on the parcel going poof.  If you do buy the land, using either of these methods,  realize that you'll need to pay Linden Labs a fee called "tier" each month.

Alternately, you can just enjoy your little place while you have it, then go shopping for a new place -- either a Mainland purchase, a Mainland rental, or a rental from someone who owns an entire private region/server.

Note that if you do buy land from Linden, you'll also have to pay a monthly Premium Membership fee:  The right to own land is reserved to paying Premium members.  Membership has many perks;  The right to own land is just one of them.  Your first 1024 m2's owned doesn't count for tier fees, so if your little parcel isn't bigger than 1024 m2 your membership fees will be your only monthly cost.  You'll need to pay the membership fee AND the tier fee on any land owned beyond the free 1024 m2.  You can save a few bucks if you select a different premium payment plan than the monthly one.

Another benefit of Premium Membership is that you can have a Linden Home.  Look into that, as it might be a better option for you than renting again.

Well, hope that helps.  Best of luck to you!  😄

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

I have to give it up :( Fortunately the land owner now reimbursed me for it so it's not a total loss

If you do decide to rent again, use a well established rental business/person.  Ask them how long they've been in business, roughly how much land they own and on average, how long they have owned it.  I've seen too many people get taken advantage of by people who buy a region and rent it out with no business plan only to find.they have no home a couple months later when the owner disappears and the land is taken back by LL.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

I have to give it up :( Fortunately the land owner now reimbursed me for it so it's not a total loss

Finding somewhere to live and making it a home is half the fun and brings many opportunities to connect and reconnect with people.

Don't stress over finding a "forever place", just don't pay ahead more than you're prepared to lose .. although to be honest in all my years here, I've lost more money buying shoes for an avatar body I've moved on from than because a land owner pulled the rug up from under .. it has happened to me a few times, but with hindsight, it always lead to better things.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Finding somewhere to live and making it a home is half the fun and brings many opportunities to connect and reconnect with people.

Don't stress over finding a "forever place", just don't pay ahead more than you're prepared to lose .. although to be honest in all my years here, I've lost more money buying shoes for an avatar body I've moved on from than because a land owner pulled the rug up from under .. it has happened to me a few times, but with hindsight, it always lead to better things.

I'll always remember my first land and house. I learned so much by taking things apart and rebuilding them. It was on this first piece of land that I build a giant flying peach hoisted by a flock of captured seagulls. My second piece of land was a grotto built underground at the bottom of a deep sea mainland parcel. I loved that spot. Someday I will go back to a grotto that ws a lot of fun. Ive also owned a skybox penthouse that had a 360 degree view of Seattle at midnight. I made it ( the view) slowly rotate like I was living on the top of the Space needle. I now live in a richly appointed underground bunker buried under a deep forest of pine trees. Each time I moved was an opportunity to reinvent my surroundings. I actually look forward to my next move. 

• Like 8

I have a little 1024 parcel right on the water in a quiet place and can put a cute little cabin or whatever type of house you need, sweetie, if that would suit you. It only has about 250 prims left, but it's a cute spot. Message me if you like.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has been so nice thank you 😭❤️

Definitely has been a learning experience

On 7/21/2021 at 9:16 AM, Rabid Cheetah said:

Glad I could help.  Keep us appraised of what you decide on.  🙂

• Like 7

Just as an FYI, after thinking about this thread for a few days I’ve decided to sell my land and go looking for some deep water real estate. I’ve been in my bunker for two years and it’s time to change. Thanks for reminding me what makes SL special!

• Like 9

Bonjour Katt Dragoon. C'est malheureusement un incident qui arrive souvent avec les terrains privés, si certes faire affaire avec de grands propriétaires met relativement à l'abri, ca reste une loterie. Si vous n'êtes pas difficile sur l'emplacement de votre premier terrain 1024, et que vous avez un compte prémium, vous pouvez facilement en acheter un aux enchères seconde life a un prix très abordable, sans frais de loyer, et vous mettre a l'abri puisque le terrain appartient aux lindens ( a moins qu'un jour SL arrete aussi mais on en est pas là)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.