Making Custom Animations for Other People's Avatars?

Tenzin Knickers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies, I have no idea how to begin wording my question for the title since I've racked my brain trying to think of any possible combination to get my answer before caving.

Basically, I want to know how to make animations for existing avatars, in my case, I'm trying to make a custom animation for my Hallowpup dude. I have Avastar, but when I try to import the .xml from the game to Blender, it just gives me a rigged humanoid model. I'm a complete newbie at making animations, especially in the sense where I want to make them for TWI, M.O.R, or any other existing feral avatars, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Start off with Qavimator, it's simpler and doesn't include the bento bones so as a learning-tool it's ideal.

You'll need to get a login to the beta grid to upload and test your bvh files without incurring costs (trivial I know, but I often go through 5-10 iterations before I get a result I'm happy with)

8 hours ago, DemeaningDog said:

Basically, I want to know how to make animations for existing avatars, in my case, I'm trying to make a custom animation for my Hallowpup dude. I have Avastar, but when I try to import the .xml from the game to Blender, it just gives me a rigged humanoid model. I'm a complete newbie at making animations, especially in the sense where I want to make them for TWI, M.O.R, or any other existing feral avatars, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

First off, and perhaps is a mistype, the animation formats for SL, exported by Avastar, are either bvh or anim. Xml is used for avatar shapes.

Then, if you want to make animations for humanoid type of avatar that aren't based exactly on the default human avatar, you're better off by animating with a devkit. The differences in proportions, and sometimes the actual joint positions, may represent a quite hard time getting motions translate nicely to SL.

4 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

First off, and perhaps is a mistype, the animation formats for SL, exported by Avastar, are either bvh or anim. Xml is used for avatar shapes.

Then, if you want to make animations for humanoid type of avatar that aren't based exactly on the default human avatar, you're better off by animating with a devkit. The differences in proportions, and sometimes the actual joint positions, may represent a quite hard time getting motions translate nicely to SL.

Ah, I see. Not a mistype, just pretty clueless, unfortunately. I probably never would've gotten anywhere further without asking (and without getting the sleep I needed). Regardless, I'll probably see if I can get the mentioned Qavimator going, or maybe even try and get a hold of the avatar's maker for its devkit. Latter might be the better option since it'd probably give me more control, plus I can make more than just animations.

9 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Start off with Qavimator, it's simpler and doesn't include the bento bones so as a learning-tool it's ideal.

You'll need to get a login to the beta grid to upload and test your bvh files without incurring costs (trivial I know, but I often go through 5-10 iterations before I get a result I'm happy with)

Sounds good to me! I'll look into it here in a bit. Thanks for the suggestion!

On 7/20/2021 at 5:14 AM, DemeaningDog said:

I'm a complete newbie at making animations, especially in the sense where I want to make them for TWI, M.O.R, or any other existing feral avatars, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I know folks have recommended QAvimator, but I don't think it can be configured to start with a custom skeleton with bones out of their default SL positions. Blender can, and Avastar makes the animation export process straightforward, so I think you'll find that easier. (The hard part will be getting hold of the official base pose rig. There doesn't seem to be a rigged Hallowpup dev kit.)

For SL animations in general, and especially for something with a nonstandard skeleton, you want to restrict your animation to rotations only. You can reposition the root hip bone to lift/drop the whole body pretty safely, and you'll need to reposition the tongue bones to make it stick out, but don't keyframe location changes on any other bones if you can help it. This will minimize your animation messing up customizations and deformers.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.