Proof of Employment/Sale of Product or Services on Second Life (?)

diffthought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

Has anyone working in SL full-time or part-time needed to furnish a proof of employment for legal reasons, (i.e. stating that you provide a product or service to other users in SL) ? How did you obtain it or what document/evidence besides transaction history have you used? 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

5 answers to this question

If you need to get some sort of specific form related to your financial relations with LL, you should probably contact their billing department,

Our Billing team is available from 6am to 2pm PST, Monday through Friday.
Call toll-free in the US/Canada: 800-294-1067 or 703-286-6277

It depends on what exactly you need/want and why you need/want it. In the US, if you make more than 400USD from your linden selling operation (As I understand it in legal logic you are just selling Linden dollars for USD on the tillia exchange, how you got those lindens is irrelevant.) you need to report that income and pay quarterly (4 times per year) taxes on that income. Your tax-payments and related forms would be proof of your self-employment.

• Like 1

If you process credit you will have your Paypal account with info showing money coming in from Tilia.  I believe (still) that only money taken out of games into real life is being considered income (there is a move to change that but I haven't seen any updates. @animats  might know something more on that).   This is for the US I am speaking of.   @animats

It might also depend on your country.  I am having a difficult time  understanding why you would need to prove you are working . You would be classified as a self-employed person in the US anyway -- NOT an employee.  So the fact that your are selling game assets to other gamers doesn't seem relevant.  In the US you would most likely fill out a Form C at the end of the year --  for Profit or Loss from a Business.   

I believe  LL sends out more 1099s now than in the past (again from chatter here at the beginning of the year).  So that might solve your issue --- depending on what that issue is. 

AGAIN -- I don't see that you would have any proof of employment as you are NOT an employee.   But maybe I am just confused :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
getting animats link in there to take
  • Like 2

In the United States there are certain situations whereas it is required that you prove your employment status, often the result of an incident or activity to which you were involved.  I'll just leave it at that.  Those that need to report their status know what this means and it's likely not something they want to share openly.  Using SL as proof of employment likely won't meet the requirement, but I understand the desire to make an attempt.  Good luck with that.  :)

On 7/20/2021 at 3:33 AM, Quistess Alpha said:

If you need to get some sort of specific form related to your financial relations with LL, you should probably contact their billing department,

It depends on what exactly you need/want and why you need/want it. In the US, if you make more than 400USD from your linden selling operation (As I understand it in legal logic you are just selling Linden dollars for USD on the tillia exchange, how you got those lindens is irrelevant.) you need to report that income and pay quarterly (4 times per year) taxes on that income. Your tax-payments and related forms would be proof of your self-employment.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:53 AM, Chic Aeon said:

It might also depend on your country.  I am having a difficult time  understanding why you would need to prove you are working . You would be classified as a self-employed person in the US anyway -- NOT an employee.  So the fact that your are selling game assets to other gamers doesn't seem relevant.  In the US you would most likely fill out a Form C at the end of the year --  for Profit or Loss from a Business.   

AGAIN -- I don't see that you would have any proof of employment as you are NOT an employee.   But maybe I am just confused :D.  

Thank you so much for your replies! I may have framed my question incorrectly. I understand we're not employees in sl. I am not looking for proof of income, but something to declare that I am a content creator in-world.  I already have the income proof, and can state myself as self-employed. But it doesn't specify the essence of the work done in-world, it would merely be a self-declaration. I am in need for this because of an embassy paperwork, and looking for a way to be more specific about the kind of work done. (Also, I am not from the U.S.)

Anyway, I have figured its not easy to obtain and LL has not been of much help so far, because of clear reasons. I am just going ahead with financial documents I have with me, and hoping it suffices for this purpose.

Thank you again!

Edited by diffthought

18 minutes ago, diffthought said:

But it doesn't specify the essence of the work done in-world, it would merely be a self-declaration. I am in need for this because of an embassy paperwork, and looking for a way to be more specific about the kind of work done.

i think you'r self employed in developing "game" assets .. as you do it as subscriber to a virtual world thats about all you will be able to tell.
It would be different if you were hired by LL and get a payslip every month...( proces cedit isn''t, thats "just"  income, no wage out of profession)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.