Question about my mesh house

Nielisse Alidiana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made it, got it into SL and realized thru this forum why i couldnt walk in it. but now when i try to texture it, it textures the entire thing the same texture. i tried to edit the linked part but it just does all of it :( maybe i shoulnt have joined it all in blender? I dunno....im new at this so any help is appreciated. 

This will explain about the physics. THE INTERFACE IS DIFFERNET but the process is the same. If there is a new physics for second life tutorial with the new interface hopefully someone will paste in here. Google still thinks mine is it LOL.  

And as an aside there is a LOT to learn usually before tackling a house so take your time and maybe backtrack a bit :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

5 hours ago, Nielisse Alidiana said:

I made it, got it into SL and realized thru this forum why i couldnt walk in it. but now when i try to texture it, it textures the entire thing the same texture. i tried to edit the linked part but it just does all of it :( maybe i shoulnt have joined it all in blender? I dunno....im new at this so any help is appreciated. 

Generally you want to join all your meshes into one object but use multiple materials (in Blender) and assign them to individual polys. These become different faces in SL and each will have its own texture control. You still need to UV unwrap like others are describing.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:36 PM, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Generally you want to join all your meshes into one object but use multiple materials (in Blender) and assign them to individual polys. These become different faces in SL and each will have its own texture control. You still need to UV unwrap like others are describing.

This is usually the case, except for houses or big builds that require a physics map, since the weight will scale with size/volume.  You want to keep the volume as low as possible, sometimes uploading walls individually will reduce the weight of the house considerably. (and optimizing it in other ways, like making large flat surfaces be regular prims, etc.)

Just as an anecdote, I made a house that was 350li, that would go down to 50li when shrinking it in-world.

Sorry about the off-topic tangent.

I make separate interior/exterior walls. I'll make the wall from a cube, duplicate it, then delete all unseen surfaces. I end up with a plane on the inside and one outside, allowing for different textures. I've tried figuring out UV mapping from various tutorials but I find the two-piece method much simpler. It also allows for different interior walls on one large exterior wall.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:04 AM, FreeToSL said:

This is usually the case, except for houses or big builds that require a physics map, since the weight will scale with size/volume.  You want to keep the volume as low as possible, sometimes uploading walls individually will reduce the weight of the house considerably. (and optimizing it in other ways, like making large flat surfaces be regular prims, etc.)

Just as an anecdote, I made a house that was 350li, that would go down to 50li when shrinking it in-world.

Sorry about the off-topic tangent.

Physics are a separate model generally that can upload with the house.

I tend to upload in 3 sections - 1. Floors as the physics we want "thick" to ensure you can Rez items on floors.  2. Areas that need what I call strong physics - so areas like walls, doorways - things an avatar will interact with and 3. Weak physics areas these can be things like ceilings, or intricate roofs where a simple physics or none physics is sufficient.  

Also @Charalyne Blackwood that's a good viewpoint as if you use a separate face for interior wall to exterior wall it helps people whom want to retexture so always good to have separate maps like you do.  

For the OP I would look at it as:

1. Use Planes/Splines etc to make your model and plan out floors, interior and exterior walls, roofs, ceilings, and things like windows/doors (as these can be repeated throughout).  Remember to have normals facing outwards for things like external walls and inwards for interior walls (SL Camera needs to see the normal to render it in world).

2. UV Unwrap

3. Add Materials/Set Baking/Rendering and Bake Materails/add baked texture to the color channel for upload *depends on your software you model in - this is how we do it in C4D for upload so textures load with the model.   Be efficient if you have 3 walls the same you can use one baked texture, if you have 10 windows the same, do it once and apply the material to all the other windows.   Use small outputs for things that can be blurry e.g. glass can be 64 x 64, iron railings you can get away with 256 x 256.  Limit 1024 textures to any large UV maps (If I have a large tiled floor I do use 1024 x 1024).    You can also plan out things so you can use repeating / seamless for some areas.          For bakes you can also run them through things like photoshop to increase a bit of clarity/definition for a "sharper" bake.

4. Join Meshes based on the sections (e.g. how I mentioned) or based on your own workflow.   

5. Create Physics model so for things like Floors never just have a thin plane (nothing will rez on it) you need a thicker physics model (I just extrude one edge of my floor then delete the poly leaving a vertice so the physics work).

6. LOD Optimization for SL uploads and save to daes.

7. Upload in batches per your sections with the relevant Physics model and LODS.    

8. Analyze the physics model on upload / set to prim in world for physics for things like the doorways so you can walk through. Don't press Optimize for the physics that are floors, or strong physics or it will close up your doorway holes etc.  I Optimize my weak physics section on that upload only.

9. Link the model in world - then the usual e.g. scripting doors etc.   I do a silly thing when I upload, but it works for me.  With each mesh I upload I upload a cube with them in the same position.  I then make that the primary in the link set and use the super quick Firestorm copy and paste on coordinates to align each mesh automatically to the cube.  Then I delete the Cubes when I link everything together.

There are a multiple of steps/what ifs/things in between these and also it can vary dependent on specific software you use.   But as you start to move forward with the house; hopefully this will give you a bit of a skeleton workflow to look at to create the method that works best for you.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 971 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.