Creating a Demo

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 8/19/2021 at 2:06 AM, mysteriousdots said:

There is something that can help. Its called experience keys. Helps you allow rez a product with temporary attachment script.. When someone leaves the sim the avatar goes back to the way it was previously. No need for Demo above head or text. Its less intrusive too. You need a custom script for this since it needs to detect avatars and what mesh body they wear so that the clothing ads itself to the correct body types. I suggest a script combined with Experience keys based on keywords as in hair, body skin tattoos to stay on your body while other stuff gets removed at the doorway of your store via invisible "portal". Store will need adult rating land for this. and because it might cause lagg you can have the demo button on vendor act as an activator and the demo object to go directly to the avatar.

I always take demos home to check them out, so any system that requires me to demo at the store will not have me as a customer.

I hate timed demos, though if it is a simple item without various color/texture changes to check, then I usually can decide within the typical 5-10 minutes. 
I'm okay with items attached to the demo as long as it does not impede me being able to accurately see the item.
Having 'demo' written on the texture is fine as long as it is written on a real texture -- not just a white texture with the words demo on it -- and the word needs to be small enough that I can actually evaluate the true texture (how do seams line up, etc..).  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just had someone tell me that even though my demo is no mod, they've moved my demo sign into the floor and basically got a free fatpack. I suggest rigging your demo sign if you're going to do that. It still won't stop people from derendering it to take pics in though. I honestly think having one texture with demo written on it is the best method to stop people from using your items without even purchasing them, but customers do like to see all the options in a fatpack, you could write demo on all your textures and redo your fatpack HUD with them for the demo, but i know that is a lot of extra work for each and every release. It's so disheartening to hear people are doing such things, I'm not really sure what to do at this point.

Hi, for me Demo's are a must- no demo, I won't purchase.  I find the demo with the wording over my head is more acceptable then it does not get in the way of viewing how the material and colour looks on my avatar. Also please, please put a colour hud in you demo's. Unfortunately some don't and we are wearing a colour we would never buy or even worse grey with no texture at all,  it is always best to see the colours on the clothing on your own avatar.  Gives a better shopping experience, plus shoppers spend longer in your store trying all the colours.  Win win.  I am not a big fan of timed demo's if this is a must 15 minutes is more managable :)

Hope this helps, Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 462 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.