Creating a Demo

Elinah Iredell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone . I was wondering if it is better to create a demo for clothing apparel items using a separate texture that was uploaded and put on the item with  the word  Demo appearing  on it in large letters, or to learn to use a script and prims that appear over the customer's head? And if it s the second idea with the scrpts and prims  what is the best way to achieve it? 

If you have an in-world store where people get the demo, you could temp-attach it.

The scripts and prims method is usually (from ones I've seen) just a "tube" prim with text on it, and maybe a small amount of omega (which is where the script comes in).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

If you have an in-world store where people get the demo, you could temp-attach it.

The scripts and prims method is usually (from ones I've seen) just a "tube" prim with text on it, and maybe a small amount of omega (which is where the script comes in).

Do you know how the prim is attached to the apparel item without it flopping around when the custumer  tries the demo on and  moves while wearing it? 

1 hour ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Do you know how the prim is attached to the apparel item without it flopping around when the custumer  tries the demo on and  moves while wearing it? 

If your apparel is rigged, attach it to avatar center (avatar root on some viewers) if you want the prim parts to not flop about as much.

The flopping about is part of the deterrence strategy though I think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elinah Iredell said:

Do you have a favorite method of attaching it as well?

if the clothes are mesh, the clothes will fit anywhere, but if you add a prim box, when worn, it will show at the attachment spot.

So for example, you make a pair of mesh, rigged shorts. You add a prim box to it that reads "DEMO!" and then attach it to your head.

The shorts will fit regardless of where you attach them, but the regular prim box will is going to be placed where you attach it, you can edit it to move it where you want, it wont affect the clothing itself.

A way to check this, is going into the infra red sight, whatever its called, and looking at avatars, you will see a lot of invisible boxes attached to right hands and pelvises.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

What do you mean when you say "script"? That ghastly timed demo script which I would whack just for the sack of that stupid typo in its text? 

And then trash the demo and never look back?

What type of Demo do you think is the best type of Demo that customers prefer ? 

5 hours ago, FreeToSL said:

if the clothes are mesh, the clothes will fit anywhere, but if you add a prim box, when worn, it will show at the attachment spot.

So for example, you make a pair of mesh, rigged shorts. You add a prim box to it that reads "DEMO!" and then attach it to your head.

The shorts will fit regardless of where you attach them, but the regular prim box will is going to be placed where you attach it, you can edit it to move it where you want, it wont affect the clothing itself.

A way to check this, is going into the infra red sight, whatever its called, and looking at avatars, you will see a lot of invisible boxes attached to right hands and pelvises.

You can attach the mesh shorts anywhere on the avatar but separately attach the prim box somewhere else, even though the shorts and the box are connected together to each other?  I have been having problems getting the hang of this for some reason. 

The infra red sight I know of  is called Highllght Transparent and is found in the advanced section under Highlight and Visibility assuming we are thinking about the same things. 

As a costumer customer I hate demo's with a time limit.
For the rest I don't really care if the word demo is on the texture or above my head.
As long as I get a good impression of the goods.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elinah Iredell said:

You can attach the mesh shorts anywhere on the avatar but separately attach the prim box somewhere else, even though the shorts and the box are connected together to each other? 

No, but kind of yes.

If the thing you are intending to demo is a rigged clothing item, (shorts) linked to a non-rigged thing (possibly a prim) then the non-rigged parts will appear attached to whatever attachment point you attach to, but because it is rigged, the rigged part will appear as though it is where it is supposed to be (but only on viewers that support rigged-mesh, which is basically all proper viewers).

If your shorts are not rigged mesh, you cannot have your demo sign and your shorts appear to be attached to different places, unless your demo sign is a rigged-mesh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

As a costumer I hate demo's with a time limit.
For the rest I don't really care if the word demo is on the texture or above my head.
As long as I get a good impression of the goods.

That makes sense. I admit I find the timed ones frustrating too. 

I really don't like one demo version more than the the other but just some things I do not like is creators offering their in black, you usually can not see the shading correctly on black.

But one thing that will make me take off the demo instantly and never come back to a store is ...timed demos. I really do not know who had this idea but it's not clever at all. A friend and I were at hair store for example, some days ago. Place was slow and the hair demo was timed to 2 minutes...and the store offers several color huds that my friend was not even able to try. Many people I know despise timed demos but are fine with the rest so I think you can not do much wrong 💜

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

hair demo was timed to 2 minutes...

I'm not an avid shopper, but even I can tell 2 minutes is way too short. 1/2 hour is the minimum I would expect out of someone trying to be reasonable. 15 minutes, would be a bit short, but I could probably live with it. 2 minutes is insulting and careless. especially if someone wants to try the demo while in a laggy store rather than taking all the demos home, then going back to the store to buy the actual products *bleh*

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobsknief Orsini said:

Temp attach also is quite a good idea. Implementing it however is something else.

It's rather easy IMO. although you (or the scripter) need an experience to make it work seamlessly, and you need to be careful to explain how to take off a temp-attach item (it's not always intuitive) or provide a detach button on the demo HUD or something. I have a very basic implementation in my store that's not-yet-open.

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

It's rather easy IMO. although you (or the scripter) need an experience to make it work seamlessly, and you need to be careful to explain how to take off a temp-attach item (it's not always intuitive) or provide a detach button on the demo HUD or something. I have a very basic implementation in my store that's not-yet-open.

Yes the rez and temp attach is the easy part. Was more referring to making it manageable for none-scripters and end users as you still have to deal with the whole "who has what body" thing, what if some crazy clicks all the boxes, etc, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I'm not an avid shopper, but even I can tell 2 minutes is way too short. 1/2 hour is the minimum I would expect out of someone trying to be reasonable. 15 minutes, would be a bit short, but I could probably live with it. 2 minutes is insulting and careless. especially if someone wants to try the demo while in a laggy store rather than taking all the demos home, then going back to the store to buy the actual products *bleh*

Well sometimes I can't decide , or  have to leave second life for a while, so  I sometimes want to go back later and try it on again to make a final decision but I.can't do that with a timed demo .  I suppose it at least helps to keep my inventory low, it is embarrassing how many old demos I have. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, Elinah Iredell said:

For my money, the best demo is the one that is not timed, and the demo sign is not blocking the view of the item.  I also dont like some of the demo textures, because Id like to see what the original textures are going to look like.  Just make sure the demo is no-mod.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

There is something that can help. Its called experience keys. Helps you allow rez a product with temporary attachment script.. When someone leaves the sim the avatar goes back to the way it was previously. No need for Demo above head or text. Its less intrusive too. You need a custom script for this since it needs to detect avatars and what mesh body they wear so that the clothing ads itself to the correct body types. I suggest a script combined with Experience keys based on keywords as in hair, body skin tattoos to stay on your body while other stuff gets removed at the doorway of your store via invisible "portal". Store will need adult rating land for this. and because it might cause lagg you can have the demo button on vendor act as an activator and the demo object to go directly to the avatar.

I attach the set to Avatar Center.  Above the set is a huge blue box with "Demo" on it.  It's so far above them that they often don't even see it and I've been contacted a number of times saying that my demo was not a demo so I just tell them to have a happy day and wait.

I was contacted once by a person that said that they were kicked out of a club, "for wearing that monstrosity" as it was quoted.  And they chastised me for having a bad product, although they couldn't describe what was wrong with it and I had no clue until I they calmed down and teleported me.  We both had a good laugh and I ended up giving them the retail version just for their troubles.

They ended up buying it anyway, something I would do myself.  Some days are fun \o/.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2021 at 11:13 AM, Elinah Iredell said:

Well, if you're doing a survey of actual customers, I'd prefer the box over head method.  Writing all over the actual clothing means I don't get to see precisely what the outfit looks like on me.  Not a big deal if you go with the writing, but I'd prefer the box to that.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.