Does the 'Away' Status have something do with Copy bots?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:11 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

I visited a sim today on the default SecondLife viewer. I tabbed out for about 5 minutes and the viewer had set my avatar to 'Away'.

When I tabbed back in, I received the message:-

I would understand an AFK eject system for a particularly busy shopping event sim or something, but to protect against copybotters? :S

I wonder where this has been born from? Some new rumor or is there something substantial behind this?

LFwrwQC.png

Changing the away time out to never will stop them from detecting you as being away.

Being marked as away has nothing to do with copybots, i have no idea how they might have come to that conclusion .. probably just bought some scripted security package that's just outright misleading .. I wish such things were disallowed by LL. I really wouldn't complain about a no-snake-oil clause in the SLM ToS.

It seems like a really poor solution to disable the away time out because of this, I wish this couldn't be disabled entirely.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It seems like a really poor solution to disable the away time out because of this, I wish this couldn't be disabled entirely.

I'm reading this as if you are saying you wish it was not possible to set Away to Never. Am I wrong? If not, why would you not want registered bots that serve a purpose (not copybotting duh) being inworld 24/7? 

From the moment we were able to set Away to Never I have had mine set to Never. There are times when I don't know how long I may be afk in the middle of working on a project and being logged out would be a bad thing at that point. 

LL should have stepped in long ago. In fact, LL should never have started this "don't get involved in resident disputes etc" thing. That is a large part of the retention issue LL has always had. People do leave because of unresolved issues. Creating an alt isn't always the answer to abuse since LL allows some things to continue to exist on the grid. Look at how many people it took and how long it took all those people to finally convince LL they needed to do something about RedZone and change the ToS. None of that should have ever happened if LL cared as much about their customers as they claim they do. Without us, there is no Second Life.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

LL should never have started this "don't get involved in resident disputes etc" thing.

Actually, the wording in the TOS is "We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users."  That is, "We don't have the time or manpower to go chasing down every disagreement between residents, and we don't want to be put in the the role of policemen unless people are violating the TOS. However, we'll step in if we have to."  That's sort of the way my Mom dealt with squabbles between me and my sister too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Imagine LL patrolling and dealing with all the in world drama issues.
Her top accentuated her nipples on PG land, he ignored our formal dressing rules, call the keystone eh LL cops.

Would SL still be livable and how much would premium and land cost in that case?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm reading this as if you are saying you wish it was not possible to set Away to Never. Am I wrong? If not, why would you not want registered bots that serve a purpose (not copybotting duh) being inworld 24/7? 

Making an avatar away is a viewer driven feature.

Bots don't bother to add this. They are never away because they never tell the region to mark them as such.

Away is entirely for the benefit of actual people in world.

From the moment we were able to set Away to Never I have had mine set to Never. There are times when I don't know how long I may be afk in the middle of working on a project and being logged out would be a bad thing at that point. 

Likewise, logging you out after being marked away is a viewer feature, Firestorm has it, others do not.

Sbw1wlG.png

Again, being marked away is purely to make you avatar visibly "AFK" in world, for the benefit of other avatars.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewerhelp:Preferences_-_General

If you're getting logged out that's something else entirely. If there is no communication between the viewer and the region for 60 seconds, you're out.

• Like 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Her top accentuated her nipples on PG land, he ignored our formal dressing rules, call the keystone eh LL cops.

Would SL still be livable and how much would premium and land cost in that case?

oh god @_@ just imagine this...the poor lindens involved would need a therapist meeting weekly xD and for real...when I look alone at this forum and the drama happening, it would need like 500 people to deal with the inworld drama and it still would not be enough I am afraid!! x3

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Actually, the wording in the TOS is "We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users."  That is, "We don't have the time or manpower to go chasing down every disagreement between residents, and we don't want to be put in the the role of policemen unless people are violating the TOS. However, we'll step in if we have to."  That's sort of the way my Mom dealt with squabbles between me and my sister too.

That's what it says now. That's not what it said back then.

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's what it says now. That's not what it said back then.

I have no idea about "back then" before 2007, when I joined, but it's always been there for the past 14+ years that I have been watching.  ;)   In any case, though, it's what it says now.

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Making an avatar away is a viewer driven feature.

Bots don't bother to add this. They are never away because they never tell the region to mark them as such.

Away is entirely for the benefit of actual people in world.

Likewise, logging you out after being marked away is a viewer feature, Firestorm has it, others do not.

Sbw1wlG.png

Again, being marked away is purely to make you avatar visibly "AFK" in world, for the benefit of other avatars.

See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewerhelp:Preferences_-_General

If you're getting logged out that's something else entirely. If there is no communication between the viewer and the region for 60 seconds, you're out.

Um. None of that had anything to do with what I said. I said I set mine to NEVER as soon as it was possible to do so many years ago. Because I do not want to be logged out unless I log myself out.

As for marking my av away, I have group tags, titlers and other means of doing that without using the viewer feature.

18 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I can see that today is going to be one of those days where no one is really listening. I'm going back to bed. Maybe I'll get up again next year. Maybe.

C'mon you know better than this as experienced forum user.

If someone doesn't quote,  they react to the post right above theirs.
So I was reacting to what Rolig wrote in that case, not to what you wrote.

Now I'm reacting to one of your posts, because yours is right above this one and I did not quote.

Edited by Sid Nagy
mistaken identity

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 7:11 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

I would understand an AFK eject system for a particularly busy shopping event sim or something, but to protect against copybotters? :S

Yeah it ain't got nothing to do with nothing.

There's a LOT of rando-paranoia in SL stemming from the fact that the educational level and technical awareness of SLers tends to be a little on the lower end. Mostly technical awareness due to an older userbase (so those people have an excuse), but then there's also an amazing amount of people that will believe a rando screaming scary stuff at them but not believe facts and evidence...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Where's the documentation?  😉 Did it go away?

image.png.f6d343957f98ce2e1236c4f327c42c22.png

Oh joy, clicking Knowledge Base and entering "away" in the search field yields THIS FORUM THREAD and a few others.  Hmm, okay, can limit search to Knowledge Base.  That gives many unrelated uses of the word in articles then I find this: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/setting-your-preferences-r58/ which merely mentions the existence of "away timeout".

I am gonna go with: "This originated because someone had to ask and they got a reply from some joker that wanted to start something."

This happened to me but I knew it was in place at the sim I was on. Some auto thing would warn, then eject you for going afk or into edit shape mode. A couple times I used this when I didn't have a home set location for a quick way to a hub whenever I just felt like socializing and there wasn't really anything going on. On the 3rd time or so doing this it auto added me to the ban list... So I had to explain to the owner that I was trying to purposely get TPd to a random hub and didn't know it would also ban me.

There's still some of this anti-copybot weirdness around, though it used to be a lot worse. So many shops with things shouting !quit repeatedly and banning anyone who dared to pop away for a sandwich. Just set up rings of mushrooms around afkers like normal people.

These two got pounced, accused of copying content, and nearly ejected by a merchant when standing in a store and chatting in private about what they wanted to purchase for the house.  One spoke up in local chat and said "We are here to buy stuff.  Got any stuff?"  The other said "I only copy her.  She's my twin sister."  The merchant did calm down and let them shop.  He even asked what, specifically, they were looking for.  They spent almost L$12,000 there that day, but, never returned.

image.png.8f282cab9d89758de6b3c1fef5b6f5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.