Jump to content

Does the 'Away' Status have something do with Copy bots?


Recommended Posts

I visited a sim today on the default SecondLife viewer. I tabbed out for about 5 minutes and the viewer had set my avatar to 'Away'.

When I tabbed back in, I received the message:-

Quote


[07:03] Region Scanner(AFK Mode Detector): ***AFK mode warning***: we don't accept AFK mode(include "Edit Appearance" mode) in this region for against copybotters, please understand.
 And will be ejected in 3 mins if you keep AFK or Edit mode, thank you.

I would understand an AFK eject system for a particularly busy shopping event sim or something, but to protect against copybotters? :S

I wonder where this has been born from? Some new rumor or is there something substantial behind this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

And will be ejected in 3 mins if you keep AFK or Edit mode, thank you.

Even more stupid since AFK mode is easily turned off in your viewer.  What if a copybotter is dancing?  Banned for loitering - sounds like a city I know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

*Goes to communications,online status, and checks everything*

My cone of silence is in place. Time to go shoppin!! \o/

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Forgot to add online status, DOH!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

You can type iQuit…. To get around it….

 

(so joking…. ) But this is the same vein on people who think these things are protection.  I haven’t seen things like this since 2007/8.

It was always fun to watch !quit popping up in local chat all the time and nothing happens.!
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
 
🤭
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
It was always fun to watch !quit popping up in local chat all the time and nothing happens.!
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
 
🤭

I seen it all the time, but never took the time to ask what it was..It was just always there..hehehe

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
It was always fun to watch !quit popping up in local chat all the time and nothing happens.!
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
!quit
 
🤭

The first time I saw that in chat, someone was typing it a lot and I thought they were mistyping and meant I QUIT.  I'm standing there thinking to myself, well just freakin quit already.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The first time I saw that in chat, someone was typing it a lot and I thought they were mistyping and meant I QUIT.  I'm standing there thinking to myself, well just freakin quit already.

That's what I thought, too. Why don't they just hit the X in the upper right corner fcol. Or open Task Manager and end the program or use the menu or... something! 🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's because whoever implemented that rule is ignorant. I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long for someone scraping their sim to do so. All banning people for being AFK outside of peak customer visit time and events is inconvenience people and make you look paranoid. That said at least they give you three minutes instead of 30 or 10 seconds like some jerks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only valid reason I can think of for ejecting AFK avatars is at busy shopping events (like a free mesh head giveaway, for example) where AFK avatars are actively stopping other customers from getting in.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a few places sometime ago that had something against people flying and would nag arrivals. Trouble was, whatever they were using was differentiating between avatars actually flying and avatars on phone connections who seem to bob gently half a metre above the ground.

Some people just get stuck on power trips, there's nothing can be done about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2021 at 9:11 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

I visited a sim today on the default SecondLife viewer. I tabbed out for about 5 minutes and the viewer had set my avatar to 'Away'.

When I tabbed back in, I received the message:-

I would understand an AFK eject system for a particularly busy shopping event sim or something, but to protect against copybotters? :S

I wonder where this has been born from? Some new rumor or is there something substantial behind this?

They sound to me like:

Paranoid GIFs | Tenor

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember back in the days of money camping chairs, some regions used anti-afk devices to stop people sitting in them all night. Then there was some kind of gadget that faked being not afk, so then they started asking you questions like "what is 2+2" every 5 minutes and if you didn't answer in time, it booted you off the chair.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still find some people in SL only follow FUD, they base these type of decisions on what they hear only and they "well I got it from an official linden alt as my source" I've heard that several times over the years and it just continues to happen, I wish LL could least help people understand that the FUD they follow is more harmful like this than good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I still find some people in SL only follow FUD, they base these type of decisions on what they hear only and they "well I got it from an official linden alt as my source" I've heard that several times over the years and it just continues to happen, I wish LL could least help people understand that the FUD they follow is more harmful like this than good.

It's no different than those "by speaking to me you waive the TOS" picks, or people that argue that no modify prevents theft.

They see someone else doing it or hear it from someone that heard it from someone, and for some reason it just makes sense to them. Next thing you know, they've convinced themselves it's in the wiki somewhere, or a Linden said it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I remember back in the days of money camping chairs, some regions used anti-afk devices to stop people sitting in them all night. Then there was some kind of gadget that faked being not afk, so then they started asking you questions like "what is 2+2" every 5 minutes and if you didn't answer in time, it booted you off the chair.

I remember some of the camping chairs having a timer on them, like 4 hours or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Does the 'Away' Status have something do with Copy bots?

Yeah, my avatar always gets this 'Away' label when I copybot everything around me.

Don't answer that! It's a trap!

In other news: no, hydroxychloroquine does not cure COVID and setting your products to No Mod does not render them incopybottable either.

5 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

people that argue that no modify prevents theft.

Darn, Paul beat me to it.

New question: does anyone know of any other urban myths that apply to SL?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

New question: does anyone know of any other urban myths that apply to SL?

People (mostly female) who think that totally overblown hips under a small waist is super sexy.
People (mostly male) who think that a totally overblown gorilla chest with ultra short arms is super sexy.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People that think writing "no drama" in their profile would prevent it from happening. I always think to myself if drama follows you everywhere, that often you need a disclaimer about it in your profile...you should start to take into consideration that maybe you are the problem x3 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...