I cannot enable shadows!

valerie Inshan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I suspect my graphic card... Any recommendations? Thank you.

The shadows option in graphic preferences is grayed out... I hate my Mac.:smileymad:

Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
 Jeu de composants :    ATI Radeon HD 2400
  Type :    Processeur graphique (GPU)
  Bus :    PCIe
  Longueur de la voie PCIe :    x16
  VRAM (totale) :    128 Mo

I won't have a quad core before July.... Should I just wait?

18 answers to this question

Hi Val, I think it is more viewer than the configuration of your MAC.  Do you run several viewers?

Your preferences may be different.  I don't know which viewer you are using but I do know that V-2 has several preference options enabled that some (if not all) Pheonix viewers don't by default..........such as "alpha layers" and shadows.  Compare the preferences in your Pheonix viewer to the preferences in your V-2 viewer.

• Like 1

Thank you Nyll. Sighs. Hopefully the new quadricore Imac I will have in July supports it....The card will be AMD Radeon HD 6770M

full specs are as follows

• Intel Core i5 quadricœur à 2,7 GHz
  • Résolution 1 920 x 1 080
  • 4 Go de mémoire (2 x 2 Go)
  • Disque dur de 1 To1
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    avec 512 Mo

I have happily used Pheonix so far Storm, and never could enable shadows. This is such a thrilling option I feel frustrated (you know how a frustrated woman can be a pain, lol). But I will do some avanced tests this week before leaving for holidays! Thank you!

Val. I'm afraid Macs with ATI cards can not do shadows.... :(

Some OpenGL bug that makes the viewer crash, from what I understand. In the latest beta viewer, I don't even think you can enable shadows on Macs with ATI cards. It's listed as a known issue in the release notes for it. I really hope this can be sorted out soon since all macs (well, nearly all) these days have ati cards.

[EDIT] to add. I'm not sure if it is LL or AMD that has to fix the issue.

- Luc -

• Like 1

Yes, looks like Luc is right although somewhat strangely, it seems some old ATI cards in Macs can activate shadows as shown here http://yrockett.blogspot.com/2010/07/second-life-shadows-on-mac.html and Strawberry Singh mentions this too on her web site. Perhaps it's old ATI cards with old drivers but no information on that.

The problem is with Macs using newer ATI cards. Make sure hardware skinning is on, Framebuffer Objects is ticked in Develop > Rendering and you are in Ultra mode. If still greyed out, I guess you are out of luck.

LL do work with AMD (ATI) and Nvidia to sort out problems so it seems odd this shadows issue still remains broken with Mac/AMD combinations.

• Like 1

It is strange that older cards can do shadows. Does not make a whole lot of sense in a way. I wonder how old the card has to be to get shadows to work?

There seems to be hope, though. In the release notes for 2.7.1 beta, this is mentioned as a Known issue. The jira that mention links to is this one: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-1618? where it seems shadows are working on ATI card in some development viewer. Perhaps we well see shadows on macs with ATI cards before long. (Fingers crossed!)

Whether this mean Valerie's mac will be able to activate shadows is another question. The Radeon 2400 HD is a few years old, I think?

- Luc -

@Peewee:

Yes, fixed Shadows for AMD/ATI cards in Macs and broke it for AMD/ATI cards in Windows for which it had been working.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Viewers/What-happened-to-my-shadows-in-Viewer-2/qaq-p/929531

Lighting and Shadows are greyed out now for me both in Preferences and Develop menu. Works in previous V2 version and in Kirstens S21 (7)a (haven't rried S21 (8) yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.