Have you ever met someone in SL that you realized you knew in RL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kind of; I met someone at a games club who played SL and we chatted for a while.  She asked me what my SL name was and when I told her she said I was lying because 'Pixieplumb is American'.  She wouldn't believe me, my husband, our daughters or several friends, and said we were in a conspiracy and she was going to warn the 'real Pixieplumb' about me.  She never did, and I never knew her sl handle.  I sometimes wonder if she's still around - that was easily 7 or 8 years ago.

I started SL in 2005 after being requested by my college division chair to see if there were any pedagogical applications to this “virtual world brouhaha.”  In 2006 I started introducing SL to students to teach basic concepts of texturing, tiling, alpha channels, primitives, and an introduction to entry level 3D modeling. Over the course of the next 3-4 years I guided about a hundred and fifty students through this curriculum on a private education island that we shared with a couple other universities. About 2009-ish the college pulled it’s support after media reporting started to focus on the dark side of SL interactions.

Most of my students worked through the curriculum sections and enjoyed it. We had created about 15 avatars that we temporarily assigned to students in order to fast track in-world acclimatization. We, of course, strictly kept the students to our island safe place and sandboxes. 

Round about 2016, after a succession of surgeries killed my full-time teaching gig, I was in-world (in a different avatar) surfing profiles in a BDSM club event. A latex clad DJ with a gag-ball in her mouth was streaming music and her profile mentioned she was from the PNW (pacific north west USA). We started chatting. I told her I was also in the PNW and through the course of the conversation we discovered that she was introduced to SL in college… and yep, you guessed it… she was one of my students. It was awkward at first. We were both kind of “outed” at the same time in full BDSM revelry, but we got over it and had a great laugh. We still bump into each other from time to time, but generally we don’t hang out together. The student/teacher dynamic combined with the D/s imperative kind of makes thing weird. I know that it doesn’t make sense, we are both adults, but some lines just shouldn’t be crossed—even in SL, LOL

Edited by Alma Palmira
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not that I know this person in real life but I met someone last year who lives in the same state as me but 2-3 counties away its pretty neat how you find this stuff out now we hangout a lot  when she is on lol. 

No but I did meet someone in SL who went to the same college that a very old Internet friend of mine (who I met outside of SL years before I joined) also went to, and they both just happened to be friends. The person showed me photos of them with this old friend and it tripped me out. Really felt like some kind of weird ass fate thing.

More like they brought me back to the grid, some 12 years after my departure [I got here June 2003] [because of computer failure and losing my original account] so, technically, the opposite. Since then, we've spent the last 5+ years getting to know one another better and better, to say the least.

Edited by LunaRavencroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 99 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.