Have you ever met someone in SL that you realized you knew in RL?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone. I was talking to my son the other day and we started talking about gaming and I mentioned I play SL. He said "oh yeah? I played that for a couple weeks but I got bored" Then I realized that could have been kind of awkward if we'd have met and didn't know who the other person was.

So I was wondering if anyone has met anyone they later found out they know/knew in RL? Did you let them know? Was it awkward? Are you friends today or was it just a passing "oh hey! I think I might know you in RL"

• Like 1

Not in SL but in an old MMO called Perfect World. I found a roleplay group that was on my server and after weeks realized that the guild lead was someone I used to butt heads with at work a lot. We realized because of this that, removed from our specific professional setting, we actually got along really well. Still great friends some fourteen years later.

I think this might be rarer in SL because it's often a place for folks go escape their real life into interests (both adult and not) that they wouldn't in their RL. 

• Like 3

The closest I've come is to have a friend's son ask if that was Second Life on my computer screen when he stopped by our house and was standing across the room.  He said he used to play it.   Even if he was still active, or became active again in-world, I don't know if we would ever cross paths, as I don't believe we would have very many common interests, and I do not date nor seek out any type of involvement with anyone beyond platonic friendships.

This possibility of encountering someone you who might actually know you is part of what generally keeps my answers pretty vague when someone asks me questions about real life, or when just conversing with a friend about real life stuff.  There is quite a bit I might discuss with a close friend in-world, but not enough specific details that they would be able to identify me out of a town full of women of my age group. 

• Like 2

Not here but happened in WoW years ago. I found out my old guild leader lived 3 town over. About a 45 min drive. We had coffee a few times.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 4

I have no one on my friends list who lives nearby.
And if it would ever happen that I meet someone I know in RL and we become friends in SL: No problem, I have no SL secrets to hide.
My SL is mostly as dull as my RL except I can fly and have 2 boats, a horse and a Lamborghini like car  in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Typos
  • Like 5

When I joined, most people in my RL were quite negative about SL so I was pretty sure I'd never bump into them on here. I think the closest was when my brother thought it'd be hilarious to make a secret SL account and come on just to harass me, but he found Orientation Island too complicated and gave up 🤣

I met a few Londoners in clubs and worked out we lived quite near each other - the owner of one indie club lived about two miles away. Sometimes I used to watch people in RL and wonder if they were secretly on SL, and what their avatars might look like...🙂

• Like 3

We didn't actually meet until we were both in SL but she was 2 years behind me in school and we knew a lot of the same people. Even weirder, someone I met in SL moved to my hometown. Someone intentionally moved to my hometown. I still think they're not quite right in the head. 🤭

• Like 3

in my very first months in SL (2006-2007) i arrived in an italian sim. To my big surprise the background of the logo was the main monument of my town, 50'000 souls south of Rome. I was surprised, how a city not so big like mine has its main monument as a logo for a SL sim ?

i tried to discover who the owner was, then i met him IW and set up a RL meeting. He gave me appointment to a computer shop i used to buy things at. 

Well, the owner of the sim was also the owner of the shop: i knew him for 10 years already... :)

Edited by Liv Simondsen
  • Like 6

Chileeee, i have met tons of people in-world that I knew or was familiar with in real life (vise versa). It can definitely get/become awkward depending on how you live/lead your second life. I was never secretive or super private with my BTA (behind the avatar) pictures that I post in my 1st life section on my profile as well as my second life Instagram page (@AdrianHilfigerr). As a result, people do spectate your profile out of curiosity and those same people that recognized my RL pictures would inbox me like "OMGG I KNOW YOU IN RL!!" or "OMG I DID NOT KNOW YOU PLAYED THIS GAME ASWELL!" and that's honestly the beauty of it all, that Second life is very diverse and can touch people from many walks of life (ppl that you wouldn't even think play second life or expect to play second life) which is why it is very important to carry yourself with RL mannerisms. I've even had a college professor once in college who spoke of Second Life and mentioned having an account. 

Sorta kinda.  2 situations.

I am an avid profile inspector, & a fella at a dance club I frequented had his RL photo up-

At some point I was on FB & saw the same photo attached to a strangers FB, he had commented on some news story in a FB group we shared in common.  I was curious if it was the same photo or just similar so I logged into SL & pulled up his profile & it was indeed the same- the FB profile bio had similar things as his 1st life SL bio.  I never told him, cause I know how creeped out I would have been had tales been reversed.

2) My brothers second wife (real life) had mentioned she played SL but I didn’t want that cross-over so I never asked her SL name.  Sadly she passed away unexpectedly in 2016.  😞

On 7/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, Doris Johnsky said:

I suspect someone in my neighborhood because they were talking about chickens crowing and dogs yapping and I have the same issue on my block. Not a lot of towns allow chickens in the city limits. 

Are most of your neighbors Mexican?

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, Doris Johnsky said:

I suspect someone in my neighborhood because they were talking about chickens crowing and dogs yapping and I have the same issue on my block. Not a lot of towns allow chickens in the city limits. 

They allow it in my neighborhood. Are YOU my neighbor?!

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian

22 hours ago, Prisqua Newall said:

I met someone in SL, and after a while we added each other on Facebook to realise we dated the same guy in RL (not at same time of course lol). All I can say is : small world.

Oh wow! That must have either been a shock or fun to compare notes.

13 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

They allow it in my neighborhood. Are YOU my neighbor?!

They don't ALLOW them in my hood. These folks just did it.  Someone must have ratted them out, cause I haven't heard Mr. Rooster in the last couple weeks.

Either that or he's been Sunday dinner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

In fact, none are,

Then it isn't me.

2 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

They don't ALLOW them in my hood. These folks just did it.  Someone must have ratted them out, cause I haven't heard Mr. Rooster in the last couple weeks.

Either that or he's been Sunday dinner.

*burps* Chicken good.

oops

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Oh wow! That must have either been a shock or fun to compare notes.

We made it fun by randomly texting him with random things like merry Christmas or Happy Easter at the same time, so it was fun for a while until it got boring lol

Anybody I knew in sl from rl originally I introduced them to the platform. That having been said back when I first was partnered with an ex-sl wife of mine I found out she lived in the same city as me. Let's just say I had an oh crap moment and we'll just leave it at that. lol While the relationship itself didn't work out we have still remained friends to this very day. Sometimes it's oh hey and sometimes we may actually catch up a lot. I tend to keep my distance out of respect for my current sl wife/partner and my ex respects that about me. She may not always like it, but she does at least respect it. lol She also knows though if she ever seriously needs me then I got her back. I'll be there for her as a friend. I just can't be that guy anymore. It is what it is.😎