Have you ever met someone in SL that you realized you knew in RL?

Just curious if this has happened to anyone. I was talking to my son the other day and we started talking about gaming and I mentioned I play SL. He said "oh yeah? I played that for a couple weeks but I got bored" Then I realized that could have been kind of awkward if we'd have met and didn't know who the other person was.

So I was wondering if anyone has met anyone they later found out they know/knew in RL? Did you let them know? Was it awkward? Are you friends today or was it just a passing "oh hey! I think I might know you in RL"

• Like 1

Not in SL but in an old MMO called Perfect World. I found a roleplay group that was on my server and after weeks realized that the guild lead was someone I used to butt heads with at work a lot. We realized because of this that, removed from our specific professional setting, we actually got along really well. Still great friends some fourteen years later.

I think this might be rarer in SL because it's often a place for folks go escape their real life into interests (both adult and not) that they wouldn't in their RL. 

• Like 3

The closest I've come is to have a friend's son ask if that was Second Life on my computer screen when he stopped by our house and was standing across the room.  He said he used to play it.   Even if he was still active, or became active again in-world, I don't know if we would ever cross paths, as I don't believe we would have very many common interests, and I do not date nor seek out any type of involvement with anyone beyond platonic friendships.

This possibility of encountering someone you who might actually know you is part of what generally keeps my answers pretty vague when someone asks me questions about real life, or when just conversing with a friend about real life stuff.  There is quite a bit I might discuss with a close friend in-world, but not enough specific details that they would be able to identify me out of a town full of women of my age group. 

• Like 2

I have no one on my friends list who lives nearby.
And if it would ever happen that I meet someone I know in RL and we become friends in SL: No problem, I have no SL secrets to hide.
My SL is mostly as dull as my RL except I can fly and have 2 boats, a horse and a Lamborghini like car  in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
Typos
  • Like 3

When I joined, most people in my RL were quite negative about SL so I was pretty sure I'd never bump into them on here. I think the closest was when my brother thought it'd be hilarious to make a secret SL account and come on just to harass me, but he found Orientation Island too complicated and gave up 🤣

I met a few Londoners in clubs and worked out we lived quite near each other - the owner of one indie club lived about two miles away. Sometimes I used to watch people in RL and wonder if they were secretly on SL, and what their avatars might look like...🙂

• Like 2

in my very first months in SL (2006-2007) i arrived in an italian sim. To my big surprise the background of the logo was the main monument of my town, 50'000 souls south of Rome. I was surprised, how a city not so big like mine has its main monument as a logo for a SL sim ?

i tried to discover who the owner was, then i met him IW and set up a RL meeting. He gave me appointment to a computer shop i used to buy things at. 

Well, the owner of the sim was also the owner of the shop: i knew him for 10 years already... :)

Edited by Liv Simondsen
  • Like 5