Requiem for a stranger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The abuser would also be unable to hide and when they are punished by LL they can't log in with an alt because all accounts could be banned. Another good thing! If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't be afraid. 

How would SL even go about this? They would need to invade privacy really deep, and people already complain about Google lol In our household me, my husband and our eldest daughter have an account, and often enough her boyfriend stays over and in pandemic times we all 4 often go for funny exploring trips in SL xD so much fun we almost forgot about the fun exploring can bring lol but how would LL determine, if we are alts? Sending in birth certificates, blood samples. and photos? xD And not many people have static IP adresses, so one day its in mexico and 2 weeks later someone in france maybe has it so no matter what this would not be convenient in any way, beside it being the most not so clever move ever of LL as I already stated up there xD

• Like 4

Ah Kali. Geez. People.

I wish I could say I'm surprised. I would be surprised if this happened to me. I mean, whoever thinks that someone you are "close" to is just lying about everything? I'm just not surprised that people are [insert word that would get censored here].

10 years he kept this up? Geez. People.

Like you said, on one hand you kind of understand why the lie had to be perpetuated. But... geez. People.

I think you are being very pragmatic. Good at adulting. All of that.

I'm currently in my own dilemma, different, but also long standing (10+ years of knowing someone in SL), and coming to the conclusions that: People don't really change their essential selves (so if they are liars and cheats, for whatever "noble" reason IRL, they'll be liars and cheats in SL), and 2) I'm a crap judge of character. 

Geez. People.

I really do need to start that group (both IRL/SL) that I "joke" about here: Misanthropes Anon.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:05 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Perhaps it is time for Linden Lab to end the secrecy and make everyone’s alts be discoverable. Maybe if you looked at an avatar’s profile it would have all associated accounts by IP or a special code embedded into avatars by the client viewer. It could bring about an end to heartbreak and griefing.

I've never done anything like this to anyone. Why should I be punished?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

The abuser would also be unable to hide and when they are punished by LL they can't log in with an alt because all accounts could be banned. Another good thing! If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't be afraid. 

I don't think you get it. The abused would unsafe on SL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

OMG. So much pushback! Why is there so much pushback?

Ok, LL don't make alts discoverable! There. Now LL will have to disband the team that was assigned to make alts discoverable.

Anyways, for the OP:

Just listen to what people are saying, if they disagree with you.   Also there is a difference between the LL governance team matching up alts with mains and residents doing it.  They are empowered to do so for legitimate reasons.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

This is a logical fallacy, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_to_hide_argument

Next thing you know we'll have big brother breathing down our necks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Perhaps it is time for Linden Lab to end the secrecy and make everyone’s alts be discoverable. Maybe if you looked at an avatar’s profile it would have all associated accounts by IP or a special code embedded into avatars by the client viewer. It could bring about an end to heartbreak and griefing.

How would this work? Someone could easily make different accounts on different computers with different IP addresses, while there are other situations where people two people might share the same computer and IP address so one might look like an alt but actually they are not. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2021 at 12:16 PM, belladonna Wexhome said:

I always think back to that scene from Madea - where she says some people are tree people - who set roots and grow in your life with you and their are leaves people - people who are with you for a season and then they go.  It does suck what you've gone through - and I find that the people who pose questions and posts like you do feel that way cause you are the honest people in RL and you wouldn't play around on alts and stuff with people.  I never understood how people do that - just pretend to be someone else with people you already know.  That lasts about 4 seconds with me and my avi.  It sucks and the only thing that helps is time to move through it.  *HUGS*

It's such a hard thing to learn, but so so important.  Not everyone is meant for you, and not everyone is meant to be your forever.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

How would this work? Someone could easily make different accounts on different computers with different IP addresses, while there are other situations where people two people might share the same computer and IP address so one might look like an alt but actually they are not. 

Which is the reality in our case. He is not me but we both log in from the same IP because we live together!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Ah Kali. Geez. People.

I wish I could say I'm surprised. I would be surprised if this happened to me. I mean, whoever thinks that someone you are "close" to is just lying about everything? I'm just not surprised that people are [insert word that would get censored here].

10 years he kept this up? Geez. People.

Like you said, on one hand you kind of understand why the lie had to be perpetuated. But... geez. People.

I think you are being very pragmatic. Good at adulting. All of that.

I'm currently in my own dilemma, different, but also long standing (10+ years of knowing someone in SL), and coming to the conclusions that: People don't really change their essential selves (so if they are liars and cheats, for whatever "noble" reason IRL, they'll be liars and cheats in SL), and 2) I'm a crap judge of character. 

Geez. People.

I really do need to start that group (both IRL/SL) that I "joke" about here: Misanthropes Anon.

Thank you about the adulting.  Adulting is very hard, especially when one has technically been an adult for over 45 years and still don't always act like one.

Yeah, I was very surprised.  I find myself talking to him.  Not that I believe he can hear me, but who else can I talk to about this? So I suppose I am talking to myself. 

Misanthropes Anonymous, heh heh.... didn't they start a meeting but nobody came because, you know, people would be there.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 1

Not a geek, and could very easily be wrong, but in regards to Bree's (not well thought out) suggestion: Not only can two different people living in the same apartment share the same IP address, but I believe in certain circumstances entire apartment buildings can have the same IP address (and I believe that happened to me about ten years ago).

I've been the target of many alt-hunting, IP address reporting, BS things (that have unfairly targeted innocent people), including alt-hunting people who are forensic typing/syntax experts [sarcasm font]. Yeah... no, just no. Big Brother breathing down our collective necks is just one aspect of the total insanity.

There will always be people like the OP discussed, who for whatever reason choose to lie and deceive. Rules can be skirted, etc. I don't want to live with that, either, but would prefer it to knee-jerk, reactionary "fixes" that have tons of unexpected consequences.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:48 AM, Seicher Rae said:

Geez. People.

I'd join, but....

On 7/19/2021 at 2:11 PM, kali Wylder said:

...people would be there.

This.jpg

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.