Why firestorm viewer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For me it's mainly because of Beq. I'm a builder and she has done a lot of good work adding some really useful tools for us content creators recently. It helps a lot that she's a good content creator herself so she understands better than LL's developers what we actually need. I also use the area search tool a lot.

Generally speaking, Firestorm is the SL viewer with a bunch of extra fucntionalities added. If you need some of those extras - and most advanced users do - then go for Firestorm. If you don't, the SL viewer is probably a marginally better option.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The S/L viewer does not include a Grid Manager so can only use it for secondlife. Firestorm is Opensim friendly so I don't have to use 2 different viewers depending on the grid I am logging into. That along with the Area Search function as well as a few other features, make it a no brainer.

• Like 5

I've never much liked Firestorm, I'm afraid.    I use it when I have to, for testing purposes, but I find it overloaded with functionality I hardly ever need to use, while it's slow to catch up with new features introduced by the Official Viewer or (for RLVa) by Catznip, the RLVa reference viewer.

Meanwhile, Catznip has all the Third Party Viewer features I find useful (and few that I don't), looks and feels like the Official Viewer, and has what I consider the best set-up for outfits of any of the viewers.

When it comes to building, I've not yet found much in Firestorm I can't do using the Official Viewer on its own or, if I need to, by writing simple scripts to do what Firestorm does with what to me seem rather clunky tools.

(I realise that not everyone knows how to write simple scripts, though that's no more difficult, to my mind, than learning to use the Firestorm UI, and is a much more useful skill to acquire, since people will more readily, if asked, pay you to write simple scripts for them than they will to use Firestorm.)

So for me, from choice,  it's the Official Viewer, Catznip and Marine's RLV, plus Firestorm when I need to see what things look like using it and to see what it breaks because it's not yet caught up the latest Official and RLV features.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The UI is very user friendly. It's good to build with. It's not my preference for everything but is for most everyday things. It has its quirks like that image in front of you that won't rez for whatever reason while everything else you aren't looking at is rezzing xD. There's also this one store I can't visit in Firestorm for whatever reason. I have no issues on other viewers. Other than that, I don't have too many gripes about it.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Sorry, I don't understand the term, and Google was no help

CHUI is the chat user interface overhaul done by LL some time back. It's the chat interface as presented in the official viewer.

I'm not familiar enough with what FS did to comment, but for Catznip, we basically threw it in the trash and made our own chat & IM interface from scratch.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm with Innula on this one; Catznip is definitely my "daily driver" for a viewer, mostly because of one specific feature (a Quick Preference folder option) that's not nearly as useful in the Firestorm attempt ("favorite wearables" or something like that). Also, Catznip is the only viewer that seems reliably faster than the Linden viewer on my machine, whereas I find Firestorm very noticeably slower and more resource intensive, despite spending a long time trying to match settings.

I will say, though, that for specific building operations, Firestorm has some useful features that Catznip didn't seem to get quite right.

Also, I can generally get by with Firestorm's built-in Animation Overrider for my lesser alts; it's not as flexible as a modern scripted AO (and scripted AOs don't contribute much script lag anymore) but the built-in one is plenty good enough for a starter avatar.

Personally, I much prefer the chat interface on Catznip and the Linden viewer, but folks have different preferences. I find Firestorm notifications extremely cumbersome but probably there's an "enable delete all" option somewhere in that bewildering nest of settings menus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I've used Firestorm for so long now that whenever I start up the SL Viewer I can't figure out how to do anything.  I absolutely hate their chat & IM setup, as well as how they do Notifications.  The fact that I can do Area Search and permanent Derender is a major bonus in Firestorm.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I will say, though, that for specific building operations, Firestorm has some useful features that Catznip didn't seem to get quite right.

Feedback button up by your L$ balance. Be specific - What do you need to accomplish and how could we make it better. Don't say "like firestorm", we don't use it and have no idea.

I build a whole lot and haven't really noticed anything especially lacking, but that's probably because I'm just very familiar with the feature set we offer.

• Like 2

For me it's mostly derendering, a built-in AO, the Favourite Wearables and much better search functions.

I will switch to Black Dragon for taking photos sometimes, especially if I have need of the poser feature (I would love to see that in Firestorm).

I only use the official viewer when I'm trying to help someone else and need to know what menu options to tell them.

• Like 2

I have used Firestorm since it was named Phoenix (and was totally remade). But I still find features I had no idea about.

I knew Areas search and is using it almost daily. When I rez a thing that goes poof. Is it under the house? Is it stuck up in the trees? Did SL catapult it 500m up? I search for name, find it and zoom camera to it. Just to check it is the right one and not the other 3 with the same name I already rezzed. Then I delete it.

Also in stores, when I wait for things to show up and are impatient.

But I did not know I could use Area search, find owner and permanently derender all the neighbor's furniture, house, plants and surround from a list instead of picking one chair, then one lamp, etc. No more annoying stuff around me.

And I learnt that 3 weeks ago?

• Like 3

For me its a combination of the features/UI, usability and habit. When I say features, its little things like having a built in pose stand and AO, being able to toggle Lookat on and off easily, area search, etc. The ability to Search a location is HUGE! The rest is just me being comfortable with it and knowing where mostly everything is.

I use Black Dragon a lot too, but it took me a while to get used to it. I'm comfortable enough to use it all the time, it just took a lot of fiddling and "What does this do? *Crash* "Ok...don't touch that again" before I felt comfortable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And Favorites. Just a tab I can place where I want, at the bottom or on the sides. I know I can make a folder of "Useful stuff" in my inventory, but clicking on Favorites is faster. It is not smart to have HUDs permanently attached, because I can lag, but when I need one, it is so fast to add it.

And built in Animation Override. And we can have many of them, I am not sure how many. Good if you have human avatars and non-human avatars.

Can we do this in the Default viewer? Saving several graphic preferences, one for taking pictures, with shadows turned on and graphics on ultra. One for events with shadows turned off and graphics on low. One for exploring, with graphics on medium and longer draw distance. Just load what you need.

I must ask, because I never use the Default viewer, and I do not know if it has added some features.

• Like 2

Cause I am a total noon on any other viewer - I used to use catznip when it first came out - and then firestorm has more to offer.  I also like Singularity in the fact that it lets you see who is hiding from you - I think FS had that for a hot minute as well and then they got rid of it - I wish they wouldn't have.  Now I'm trying to learn Black Dragon for photos.

• Like 3

The chat commands too. I find it faster to go up to my platform when I'm on the ground in the corner far away from the teleporter. The platform at 1090 m up, and I type in gth 1100 and up I go. Sure, I can walk to the teleporter or send the camera there... but it's easy to get used to shortcuts.

Same in a sandbox, I type in the height I want, and then type rezplat. The viewer add a solid platform under me. Change draw distance = dd 64 = draw distance 64.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The chat commands too. I find it faster to go up to my platform when I'm on the ground in the corner far away from the teleporter. The platform at 1090 m up, and I type in gth 1100 and up I go. Sure, I can walk to the teleporter or send the camera there... but it's easy to get used to shortcuts.

Same in a sandbox, I type in the height I want, and then type rezplat. The viewer add a solid platform under me. Change draw distance = dd 64 = draw distance 64.

that's what I use my favorites landmarks for . i love the fact that fs allows the buttons on the top of the view so i can just click the button and tp to one of my favorite places.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.