Jump to content

Can you import from Blender/Unity3D etc to Second Life


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Not sure if the title makes sense here... I feel like the easiest way to put it would be could I create something in Unity3D and then import it to second life??

I came across this and really wanted to try it .... Forcefield Shader using Shader Graph in Unity3D - codinBlack but I don't know the first thing about building/scripting... I'd really love to learn though.

Thanks in advance ❤️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, and no.

Yes, you can usually export models made in most programs to DAE format and upload them to Secondlife.

No, you really shouldn't try and upload that object specifically, because you can't import shaders to SL; to make an effect like that you would need to do a bit of scripting (It's actually a really simple script if you have the assets set up correctly, but setting up the assets correctly is hard because there aren't many programs that do that for you automatically. )

You might want to take some SL-specific blender courses or read up on what does and does not transfer from the modeling program to SL, and learn to make LODs and physics models.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Yes, and no.

Yes, you can usually export models made in most programs to DAE format and upload them to Secondlife.

No, you really shouldn't try and upload that object specifically, because you can't import shaders to SL; to make an effect like that you would need to do a bit of scripting (It's actually a really simple script if you have the assets set up correctly, but setting up the assets correctly is hard because there aren't many programs that do that for you automatically. )

You might want to take some SL-specific blender courses or read up on what does and does not transfer from the modeling program to SL, and learn to make LODs and physics models.

Hmmm, okay, thank you.. what if I were to (somehow) get the texture and just shove it onto a default sphere in second life? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alexis Kiyori said:

Hmmm, okay, thank you.. what if I were to (somehow) get the texture and just shove it onto a default sphere in second life? 

Exactly, that'd be the best way to do it. maybe add a bit of glow and lighting to it in the build menu. If you want it to animate, you need to take each frame and merge them into a spritesheet-like format.

Edit: actually looking at it more closely, you might get better results using carefully controlled drop particles.

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Exactly, that'd be the best way to do it. maybe add a bit of glow and lighting to it in the build menu. If you want it to animate, you need to take each frame and merge them into a spritesheet-like format.

Awesome, thank you so much. Now to figure out how to get that texture.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...