Social Island, Welcome Island, pop ups that won't go away...

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Everything that comes along, you either figure out or give up.  Or come here and whine.

The thread IS about newcomers giving up, because they can't figure out how to close a non-window. It is their first experience in SL and they say well f***k this and find another online game.

The OP was not whining, but trying to help a newbie.  If you had actually read this entire thread you would know that, and you would know some were concerned that confusing a brand new resident their first hour in SL is not the best plan for keeping them.   As usual you come here for a cheap and unwarranted shot...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And if you had noticed, I was in at the beginning of the thread and still to this day, we have not seen nor heard of a swarm of newcomers having an issue.  Most seem to figure it out like we all figured things out.  Which has been my.point from the beginning.

But of course,  I won't point out that fact.  But you did seem to agree with me back then.  

Edited by Rowan Amore

On 7/15/2021 at 9:55 AM, Quartz Mole said:

What bug?    If new users find it difficult to use the Guidebook button (the use of which is explained in the Guidebook), then LL will presumably change it, but things are working as intended.

Even if they don't read that far, I would imagine most of them will have a play with the Guidebook button at some point, if only to see what it does (maybe LL should make sure they do, by labelling it "Do not touch" in bright red capital letters).

Quartz, I have been in SL for 17 years, and trust me, I have been through many, many UI changes. This one is truly annoying. I went to the Welcome Island, got the Guidebook, and I, too, could not figure out for days how to get rid of it. Finally someone explained that you have to go down to the bottom of the viewer to toggle it there. You have to "just know" this. So it should be changed so that you can click on the guidebook itself, as you do a HUD, to get rid of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

And if you had noticed, I was in at the beginning of the thread and still to this day, we have not seen nor heard of a swarm of newcomers having an issue.  Most seem to figure it out like we all figured things out.  Which has been my.point from the beginning.

But of course,  I won't point out that fact.  But you did seem to agree with me back then.  

They more than likely swarmed right out of SL forever with this thing, which is one reason you didn't hear from them, and the other is that most people don't go on the forums. It's only a tiny percentage that do. And those who might brave it find a lot of snark and scorn and then back out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well I was young and stupid back then.  I also had only tried it with the SL viewer.  I'll keep my agreement reaction for you and raise you a confused.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, portexploits said:

I have encounter this issue in Social Island. I go there and get a blue pop-up on my screen. Sometimes I can right-click on it and detach it, sometimes I can not. I have to restart. The viewer I use is Firestorm. I am trying to help someone and they have one of these pop-ups on their screen for four months. She has restarted and it's still there. I thought maybe she had her home set to "Welcome Island." She doe snot. This is the pop up on her screen.

https://prnt.sc/1bc11cz

How do we remove these type of pop-ups?

For the Firestorm Viewer, click Avatar>Toolbar Buttons

You'll find the guidebook button in there and will need to drag it onto the screen somewhere as it is not already out there like it is with the default SL viewer. Click it, and the guidebook will go away. Then you can remove the button again if you so desire. 

I agree it is stupid not to just have a close x button or something on the popup itself but *shrugs*

• Like 1