Oh no! It happened again!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Something I just bought I tried to rez on a table in my house, and it vanished again with a notice that I'm not allowed to rez it there because the owner does not allow it AND I'M THE OWNER!!!!

This really really really SUCKS!!!

Why does this evil thing happen and how can I get my thing back?

2 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Something I just bought I tried to rez on a table in my house, and it vanished again with a notice that I'm not allowed to rez it there because the owner does not allow it AND I'M THE OWNER!!!!

The table is mesh and does not have a properly built surface - note that the floor of the house can have the same problem, depending on who built it.  Rez a flat prim in your house and make it a rug.  Rez everything on the rug and move it to wherever you want it.

If you don't want a rug, then just make the flat prim invisible, so that you still have a rezzable surface.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

The table is mesh and does not have a properly built surface - note that the floor of the house can have the same problem, depending on who built it.  Rez a flat prim in your house and make it a rug.  Rez everything on the rug and move it to wherever you want it.

If you don't want a rug, then just make the flat prim invisible, so that you still have a rezzable surface.

Seems a lot to have to do just to use what you bought and avoid this stupid little booby trap built into SL. Why on earth do they let this happen? Can't they fix that?

5 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Seems a lot to have to do just to use what you bought and avoid this stupid little booby trap built into SL. Why on earth do they let this happen? Can't they fix that?

It has to do with how most mesh is made -- you end up not being able to rez another mesh item on it.  This isn't something LL can fix - it is an issue with the mesh item and the person that created it.

First thing I ensure is that I almost never buy no-copy items.  Then when they don't rez, I don't really lose anything.  I just pull out a new copy, rezzing it on flat land or a prim surface.

Make yourself a mental note any time you cannot rez on a item to never try again on that item.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

It has to do with how most mesh is made -- you end up not being able to rez another mesh item on it.  This isn't something LL can fix - it is an issue with the mesh item and the person that created it.

First thing I ensure is that I almost never buy no-copy items.  Then when they don't rez, I don't really lose anything.  I just pull out a new copy, rezzing it on flat land or a prim surface.

Good to know, thanks for the advice.

I'm guessing that when you try to rezz something on top of a mesh object, it gets bounced away from your intended target and may have crossed past the parcel boundary, hence the "owner does not allow" message.

Is your item copy or no-copy? If it's no-copy, look for it in your Lost & Found folder. If you don't see it, relog and it should appear.  If it's copy, rezz out a new copy, but you should go into build mode first before attempting to rezz.  What it does is when the rezzed item appears inworld, it gets highlighted so you can easily spot it.  Right click on it to get the x,y,z (red, green, blue) arrows to show up and move item into place.

Edited by Eddy Vortex

1 minute ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I'm guessing that when you try to rezz something on top of a mesh object, it gets bounced away from your intended target and may have crossed past the parcel boundary, hence the "owner does not allow" message.

Is your item copy or no-copy? If it's no-copy, look for it in your Lost & Found folder. If you don't see it, relog and it should appear.  If it's copy, rezz out a new copy, but you should go into build mode first before attempting to rezz.  What it does is when the rezzed item appears inworld, it gets highlighted so you can easily spot it.  Right click on it to get the x,y,z (red, green, blue) arrows to show up and move item into place.

Okay, I've just recently come back to SL and don't remember anything about build mode. How do you get into that?

What Storii said.  Or in the pull-down menu Build > Build

image.png.5b2aa480ea6c28aff4067625c8b94709.png

A box appears like this (I'm using the offical viewer. Don't know how it differs in Firestorm):

image.png.f5cdd2d7ee4dd4485910ceea1aff52d0.png

When you rezz an item out you should see a yellow highlight on it. (I'm using any old item in my inventory as an example.)

image.thumb.png.685efa4a5b3770212869a083ddf04a72.png

Right click on item and choose Edit...

image.png.d8d2a2e4fb77a35429eb4e063ce401a7.png

...and the x,y,z arrows appears:

image.png.36ed6d28363f273389afda9a4d3b8faa.png

Then position item into place.

Edited by Eddy Vortex

Also, I will repeat what LittleMe said about rezzing a flat prim first before rezzing anything else, so you'll have a safe surface to work on.  A plain cube will do; simply reshape to be a bit flatter and/or increase surface area, then rez desired item.  You can always delete the cube afterwards.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 1

Do we get a similar thread every time Ann tries to rez something now?
I thought that the last time this problem occurred there was plenty of explanations about how to avoid this happening.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Do we get a similar thread every time Ann tries to rez something now?
I thought that the last time this problem occurred there was plenty of explanations about how to avoid this happening.

Well at least she stays on topic!😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A gorgeous young redhead goes into the doctor's office and said that her body hurt wherever she touched it.

"Impossible!" says the doctor. "Show me."

The redhead took her finger, pushed on her left breast and screamed, then she pushed her elbow and screamed in even more. She pushed her knee and screamed; likewise she pushed her ankle and screamed. Everywhere she touched made her scream.

The doctor said, "You're not really a redhead, are you?

"Well, no" she said, "I'm actually a blonde."

"I thought so," the doctor said. "Your finger is broken."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Contact the sim owner

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

First  up, the object isn't gone - it's in your inventory, BUT due to the sequence of events, the viewer has no idea unless you refresh your inventory by relogging.

The inventory in your viewer isn't your inventory, It's like a local list of your inventory.

1. You drag object from inventory to the world
  2. The viewer tells the region - Hey! I rezzed this inventory at that point and then removes the object from it's view of local inventory
  3. The region says no and correctly doesn't remove the item from your actual inventory.
  4. Because the region doesn't then say 'add this object to your local inventory', the viewer doesn't know it exists.

The viewer creates a very convincing impression that the act of dragging at item into the world is a single seamless act. It's not. The viewer quite literally tell the region to rez the item you dragged at a certain place, removes the local reference from the list, and then magically some time later the region tells your viewer - Hey! This new object appeared right in front of you, fancy that!

On face value you might think then, that the viewer could have an intermediate list of objects that it's asked the region to rez (rather than completely forgetting them instantly) and add them back to the local inventory should they fail to appear. However .. .there are other reasons why the region might not tell the viewer about the magical new object it was just asked to place, this creates a situation where it could have been placed, the viewer has no idea (because the region didn't tell it), and now it's erroneously shown as back in your inventory.

We (Catznip) have been a little on the fence about how to address this issue as it could easily create the appearance that this glitch is creating copies of things you shouldn't be able to copy.

We suspect that a similar disconnect exists on the region which is why it doesn't inform the viewer that the object should be added back to local inventory.

The ONLY work around is to right click and place a regular prim (remember where it is and hide it if you like), and the always drag new items onto this prim target. That doesn't make it impossible for this to happen, but it does make it very unlikely.

When it does happen, the only course of action is to relog.

The only actual fix for this issue is probably - make the error message more informative and explicitly tell the user to relog.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.