To Hang Out | To Make Out | What Exactly is The Intention?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

English is not my native language. Hence the reason I am not familiar with some English expressions and the true intention behind those.

Therefore I have a question: What exactly does a guy mean when he asks me to "hang out with him" (versus "to make out"). I do have an idea what it means, but I am not sure what the real intention behind the two is. Is to "hang out" just doing something together with nor sexual context at all, or is it more something like a very casual date? "To make out" just cuddling or plain sex? Are both just a initial pitch but the intended destination is getting in my pants?

Can you explain, maybe using example situations? 

• Like 1

Hey you!

To "hang out" usually doesn't have any romantic or sexual meaning behind it. Friends can meet over the phone to hang out, you can hang out with your family. "Hanging out" is just a casual term for spending quality time with somebody else. Then again if a guy/girl asks you to hang out he/she could also just want to spend some time with you to get to know you, while not yet wanting to ask you out on a proper first Date.

"To make out" with someone is essentially just another term for hot kissing and fondling with someone in a romantic way. Not necessarily but often with a sexual intention. So for instance if we'd sit on a couch, touching, stroking and heavily kissing each other, we'd be making out. So making out is kind of the opposite of just some shy kisses on the cheek. 🙂

Edited by Mikey Shu
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

strange question for somebody who's in the "industry" for quite some time... even google translate gives a excellent translation is its not your language...

That has not much to do with the "industry".
Sometimes it is good to hear from a native speaker what it REALLY means and what the intention or expectation typically is.

Google translate../me roles eyes

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

That has not much to do with the "industry".
Sometimes it is good to hear from a native speaker what it REALLY means and what the intention or expectation typically is.

Google translate../me roles eyes

Though it technically may have nothing to do with 'the industry', it surprises me that someone who has been in SL as long as you have wouldn't already know the answer.  I figured that out in my first week.  

You can't determine what is meant by Hang Out until you actually Hang Out.  It means different things to different people.  Some may genuinely just want to hang out and chat.  Others,, may not.  You can't assume the meaning.

Make out is entirely different and you should already know what that means.

No one who has seen your posts here would think you're that naive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I could see how it could be confusing, especially when context and tone (the latter being completely absent in text communications) can change the 'literal'/'generally accepted' meaning of an expression to something that is different when there is subtext or innuendo added.

'Hanging out' to me is the act of spending time with someone where no other goal or activity is being pursued, or where the activity (for example bowling, going to a bar, etc.) is not the primary goal or motivation for being in the same place and time together. This is a bit of a social/cultural judgement, but to me if you are 'hanging out' with someone, you're either friends with them or intend to become friends with them.

'Making out' to me is sex without the P**** in V***** part. Usually associated with under-educated teens who believe that the only "real" sex is PiV sex.

Edit: FWIW, this isn't really relevant, but you can also use "make out" in other contexts to mean completely different things:

"I can't make out what the sign says" -> "I can't read the sign"

"The bank robber made out with 50 grand" -> "The bank robber stole 50 000 dollars from a bank."

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

'Making out' to me is sex without the P**** in V***** part. Usually associated with under-educated teens who believe that the only "real" sex is PiV sex.

Prepare for a huge ass  *****storm from all the gay people in SL and RL. 😄 😄 3....2....1....go!

Edited by Mikey Shu
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Mikey Shu said:

You shall await a huge ass *****storm from all the gay people in SL and RL. 😄 😄

/me queues up first in line to storm myself.

True, I would classify pegging and fisting etc. as "sex" sex and not "making out" sex, but to me the term itself (making out) implies a bit of whimsical sexual ignorance, and making a completely accurate definition would be hard and kind of defeat the point.

3 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

In SL? Hang out and make out means the same thing. They want to get into your pants.  Same meaning of "Hi"

No, that is not true, of course there is always the possibility that they are not using words that accurately describe what they want. Also even if they are content to just "hang out" and have a pleasant conversation, thier desires may well change during the course of that conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

No, that is not true, of course there is always the possibility that they are not using words that accurately describe what they want. Also even if they are content to just "hang out" and have a pleasant conversation, thier desires may well change during the course of that conversation. 

You've obviously haven't had 4859574 men ask you to 'hang out' only to realize their definition wasn't the same as yours.  As a woman, if I ask a man to hang out, that's all it is.  Hanging out, chit chatting, doing some G rated activity.  

• Like 12

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

You've obviously haven't had 4859574 men ask you to 'hang out' only to realize their definition wasn't the same as yours.  As a woman, if I ask a man to hang out, that's all it is.  Hanging out, chit chatting, doing some G rated activity.  

You mean not one time did a guy ask you to hang out and then just do that? Wow no wonder girls don't want to hang out with me, when hanging out is all I am asking for. My experience seems to be that most females fall into one of two categories, they want nothing to do with me, or they just want sex. I am a bit suspicious of those in that second group. I am fine with some G rated activity, but it's hard to find someone who wants that too. I can well understand why a guy would give up on trying to do that if that's what he really wants. It is easier on the ego to get shot down when you are being a jerk, than when you are trying to be a gentleman. When you are being a jerk, you just tell yourself she is reacting to the character, but when you are trying to be a gentleman it feels more personal.

• Like 1

Boy oh boy, it did not take all that long before someone came around to say that there's no difference, that the only thing on a guy's (or in some cases gal's) mind when meeting someone else is Adult Activity!

It certainly goes a long way to showcasing just how different one place can be from another as well as one community to another (as a general rule of thumb anyway)!

In Second Life, the meaning is going to differ from person to person and - as a general thing - from community to community/location to location. Spend a lot of time in Adult Clubs or similar places and you are going to run into a lot of people who are there specifically for a "fun time" - this is universal, mind.

So to be brutally honest/blunt here: If people are telling you there's no difference, that a majority of any user populace/community is only in it for the Adult Content (outside of the places that really are exclusively for such things) .... You can quite safely ignore their input on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

You mean not one time did a guy ask you to hang out and then just do that? 

I have had a couple who have asked to "just hang out", but when they tried moving it along to "just 😉 hang 😉 out" they would never speak to me again when I shot that down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I have had a couple who have asked to "just hang out", but when they tried moving it along to "just 😉 hang 😉 out" they would never speak to me again when I shot that down.

Did they get partnered 3 days later? That happens to me a lot haha

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Though it technically may have nothing to do with 'the industry', it surprises me that someone who has been in SL as long as you have wouldn't already know the answer.  I figured that out in my first week.  

You can't determine what is meant by Hang Out until you actually Hang Out.  It means different things to different people.  Some may genuinely just want to hang out and chat.  Others,, may not.  You can't assume the meaning.

Make out is entirely different and you should already know what that means.

No one who has seen your posts here would think you're that naive.  

As you can see in this thread, there are different views on this.
Which is what I was hoping for.

Very interesting.

P.s.: Please don't lecture me on what questions to ask or not. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Boy oh boy, it did not take all that long before someone came around to say that there's no difference, that the only thing on a guy's (or in some cases gal's) mind when meeting someone else is Adult Activity!I

That was my experience so far. However, I recently met this guy who asked me to hang out with him. It did sound genuine to me.
However, he is an avid reader of my stories, which tells me he is interested in the adult side of Second Life and his motivation to contact me might be inspired by those stories.

What did put me off a bit, was his constant self-pithiness about being alone, not having a girlfriend (he knows that is not an option for me) and having difficulties to make friends. 
Some of his "hang out" approach sounds like "let's do something fun together" and others sounds like "lets get closer".

The later not being an option at all and I want to avoid a situation where I would have to tell him that.
Nothing wrong with going sailing though (one of my SL hobbies).

• Like 2

Hm, I always perceived 'make out' (when context suggests an activity) as being the same thing as snogging (i.e. French kissing, possibly whilst climbing all over each other), but still as a non-sexual activity (something tweens & teens might do with their parents in the house, or in a corner of the school yard). It could then lead onto something sexual, but at that point I'd argue that it's another activity, much the same as a spanking session in and of itself isn't an explicitly sexual act, but very well could be part of foreplay thereof. 

If I ask or get asked to 'hang out' I don't necessarily expect any 'making out' to be on the menu. But that also depends on the person. I'd much rather say 'do you want to hang out?' to a romantic interest and promptly swoop them into my arms for a snog, than to say 'Hey, would you like to make out?'. That comes off as a little bit .. Childish. 

Personally I don't much care to 'hang out' either though, to me that feels like neither person has any idea for an activity but want attention and/or social intercourse (oi, mind out of the gutter - not that kind of intercourse!). Standing around small talking feels pointless, we could just as well have done that via IMs - unless it's a group of people rather than a pair of people, but then I tend to quite promptly tab out to do something more productive anyway, and pay little attention to the gesturbation that tends to commence in-world. I much rather do social activities such as playing board games, pool, arcade games, bowling, or going exploring (preferably via train or row boat so that I don't have to stop the vehicle every time I want to communicate, I suck at multitasking). 

Hanging out =/= clubbing =/= beach-going = stand around semi-AFK, immediately muting the venue's music stream to spare your ears from the torture that is pop and/or whinge-rock, promptly losing interest in nearby chat due to a combination of spam, senseless abbreviations and messages composed in such poor grammar you can't help but wonder how on earth its authors ever were allowed to graduate elementary school even in countries wherein English is a second language.

That is, of course, just my most humble opinion. ... Disagree with me if you dare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caroline Takeda said:

interested in the adult side of Second Life

One can be interested in the adult side of second life without wanting to make it the only side. Sex is a part of RL as well, however RL is not divided into two groups, those who have sex all the time and those who never do. 

• Like 2

Let's face it, SL is a place where everything just as RL is over sexualized. The amount of skimpy female clothes compared to regular ones is enormous! In short we're often center of attraction.

Many of the people that usually text me with the purpose to "Hang out" actually mean "Let's cuddle, make out and bang". Of course there are always exceptions! 
To battle the "hang out" :D I like to invite over people at a cafe or other public area where the tables or furniture has only singles poses so they can't make a move. That way one can determine quite easily the person's true intentions. If they want to do more than just hanging out, they will quickly get bored and probably leave.

Just because a girl likes to dress sexy, provocative or makes adult orientated content doesn't mean she'll "Hang out" with anyone that offers it.

On a side note: How guys look whenever they see a girl inworld that has "interesting" photos or looks

bronn.jpg

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.