Attachment to avatar points

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Derf Fairport said:

Has something changed with these recently?   I never had so many bits of clothing taken off before when I put things on, I'm using 'add' as opposed to wear, possibly might be forgetting to sometimes. Just seems strange all of a sudden.

Have you reached the limit for attachments which I believe is 38?

One of the actions that have been known to cause this is the use of default attachment points by creators of mesh clothing and the like.  I have been astonished at just how many items simply attach to the right hand.  With rigged mesh, if an item is attached pretty much anywhwere on the avatar it will appear as intended.

My solution has been to check when a new item attaches the first time, be it clothing or adornment: I detatch it if it defaults to the right hand and manually attach it somewhere else.  Once attached again the item "remembers" that attachment point and always subsequently goes there when added or worn.

If many items are defaulting to that point (ie right Hand) then once more than 5 items are attached there, further attachments most assuredly will cause detatchment issues upon teleporting but also I have observed items already at the point being "knocked off" when a further item is added.  The issue is, I suspect, inherent to the file-association protocols used with SL avatars, but a little foresight and care at least reduces to issue.

A little effort on the part of creators would go a long way  in mitigating this issue.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling correction

I used Second Life Viewer to wear 38 rezzable objects, all on "right hand".  I tried to "add" a 39th rezzable object but found the "add ..." options in menus were not active.  Then I detached one from "right hand" and rezzed another on the ground and selected "Put on > Add" to wear it on right hand.

I detached all attachments and put those 39 rezzable objects in a folder then selected "add to current outfit".  After a couple of seconds, 38 of those 39 rezzable objects were attached to "right hand".

If you use a different viewer and get different behavior when you try this then perhaps you could direct your inquires to users / developers of the specific viewer you are using.

If you are also using Second Life Viewer and get different results than I described above then perhaps you could help us help you by telling us which version you are using.  To save time, "The latest" is not a version number.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.