Lag in SL seems universal today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So now it becomes more complicated.  We don't yet know your system specs, or your graphics settings or draw distance.  

If your FPS remains low (<10 fps), you could fly to other regions around you with your draw distance at 96, and see how your FPS changes.  But you have to wait for all the textures to rezz in and cache in each region.  If one region is bad, others will not always be.  In the houseboat region, I could get FPS from 40 to 5 by walking to a different region.  It all depends on what the other residents have rezzed and running.

1 minute ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So now it becomes more complicated.  We don't yet know your system specs, or your graphics settings or draw distance.  

If your FPS remains low (<10 fps), you could fly to other regions around you with your draw distance at 96, and see how your FPS changes.  But you have to wait for all the textures to rezz in and cache in each region.  If one region is bad, others will not always be.  In the houseboat region, I could get FPS from 40 to 5 by walking to a different region.  It all depends on what the other residents have rezzed and running.

Well I was sure it would get more complicated, but I'm doing better now after the restart, and it's good enough for me.

Eeks, now your packet loss is still way too high.  Information is getting lost somewhere along your connection.  Are you running on wifi or hard wired?

Packet lose as explained by @Coffee PancakePancake

On 5/1/2018 at 2:50 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

What is SL Packet Loss

Packet loss in SL is a very specific issue.

The region is sending you some data over UDP.  UDP data can be seen as time-sensitive.  Say, the position of an avatar. You need to know NOW .. you don't care what the value was a second ago.

The sim sends you a stream of packets, and you viewer has to be ready to catch them as they arrive, in order. If for some reason it isn't managing to do that then you will have packet loss. A good analogy is the server is playing catch with you and throwing too many balls too fast. The bandwidth slider in your viewer preferences is a throttle for this data - its badly labeled and has nothing to with how much bandwidth you actually might have, just how fast your computer and connection can play this game of real time digital catch - It used to affect everything way back when, but not anymore.

Most of the viewer data has been moved to TCP which is way more reliable and will be unaffected, this is why things mostly seem to work when you have packet loss.

However ... 

The SL service does still send some non-time-sensitive data over UDP, so having packet loss can result in a generally poor experience with non-obvious causes.

Note - Voice is an entirely separate service provided by a different company. It working or not working has almost nothing to do with SL.

Resolving packet loss.

The cause of packet loss could be many things, most of which can be outside of your control. It really is your connection (or maybe a painfully slow computer).

Update your viewer. Always use the latest released version.

Start up the viewer fresh, set the bandwidth slider in your viewer to 200, the slider is poorly named and does not throttle the whole viewer (as the name implies)  just the game of UDP catch. It used to affect everything, but that's not the case anymore - If that doesn't instantly fix your problem (you can continue to try tweaking it lower) then it's almost certainly your connection to SL that's at fault

Next, if you're on Wifi. Switch to using a cable plugged into your router, if you can't do that, move to a different spot to play SL or move your router. Wifi is a common cause of packet loss.

The best you can do to resolve it is switch everything off for a minute (computer, router, wifi etc), go make a cup of tea and then fire everything back up.

If you still get packet loss .. and you're on a wired connection and all your gear is fast and shiny and working perfectly .. the source is between your home and SL, the only thing you can do is call your ISP or find a new one. 

tl;dr yes, it's totally your connection

The Lab have been working for years now to slowly move everything that shouldn't be using UDP over to HTTP. This is one reason why you should always try to use the very latest release of your viewer, and why we haven't had quite as much sexy shiny from LL as we might have hoped for. Server side stuff just isn't sexy and doesn't get people excited, but this is why SL runs better than it ever has.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

My house rezzed really fast this time and I'm not getting the lag I had before, so it did some good I can tell.

That just means your cache was already filled with the textures around you.  There's a bug where you can wait for ever for textures to rezz, or not - depending on what the servers feel like sending you.   I have that on a overloaded breedable market region.  First time I TP in, I can wait 20 minutes for the textures to rezz.  Next time they show instantly.  Then my cache rolls them off when I wander around and when I get back to my shop, where all the textures were rezzed, they are grey again.

You might be seeing what is "normal" SL behaviour these days. (:

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

Your ping is high. That tells me its a connection issue. As Jaylin said, we don't know your system specs either.

What does it mean that my ping is high?

I'm on a late 2012 Mac Mini running 10.12.6 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 ram, graphics Intet HD Graphics 4000 1536 mb

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Eeks, now your packet loss is still way too high.  Information is getting lost somewhere along your connection.  Are you running on wifi or hard wired?

I'm running hardwired, CAT5 ethernet to the router. I don't do WiFi here.

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Well when I came back recently I installed the latest release of FS, so that's good, and all this is a bit over my head, but here's my networks prefs

netprefs.png

1 minute ago, Chris Nova said:

Then theres really nothing you can do about the lag. Maybe go to the lowest graphical settings possible and put your draw distance down between 60-80.

Okay, did that, and I'll just have to see how it works now.

1 minute ago, AnnHerrick said:

Well when I came back recently I installed the latest release of FS, so that's good, and all this is a bit over my head, but here's my networks prefs

netprefs.png

You're going to have to turn your graphics way down.  Advanced lighting off.  Show your graphics tab please

The Intel integrated graphics card is not suited for using Second Life.  You'll have to play with everything to find what works best for you.  That draw distance is a major player in your fps.  At home, 32 is even better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Intel integrated graphics card is not suited for using Second Life.  You'll have to play with everything to find what works best for you.  That draw distance is a major player in your fps.  At home, 32 is even better.

Well it does seem to be working better now, and thanks for all your help, I could never have figured any of this out on my own.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.