@Daniel Voyager Has the limit on Avatars per account lifted?

ShadeBlue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had read in one of Daniel Voyager's comments that Linden Labs has lifted the limit on how many Avatars one can now have unlimited? Any verification on this ?

I believe it was mentioned in one of the most recent interviews with the LL top officials.

6 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

the official wiki still shows the policy that's in place

Yes, but notice the careful wording (with my emphasis) ...

"if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost."

For well over a decade, LL has used that wording to discourage people from creating a large number of alt accounts.  I don't think anyone knows how often they have actually charged the $9.95 fee, but it's the ultimate deterrent in case they catch some griefer with an alt army.  Personally, I doubt that they would charge it for, say, a school that wanted to create a couple dozen accounts for class work.

• Like 2

Around 2006 (and perhaps before) the $9.95 charge was BUILT INTO the sign up sheet and obviously accounts were "linked" together. Paying the fee gave you a "legal alt".  You could still make alts beyond that but they weren't "legal". You could NOT have more than five "legal alts" back then.   When Bellisseria came on the scene it was pretty obvious that LL didn't care how many alts you had as some folks posting here went way over that.  Some folks posting here have 26 and more alt accounts and have never had any issues and some folks apparently (not sure why they would lie) have more then five premium alts.  This was often  to get the very good deal on group mainland (not so good now but still cheaper).  

I have never seen any mention here of anyone in the last decade paying a fee for alts. Of course there are NEW OWNERS now and so that "may" happen. Who knows.  At one point maybe eight years ago the official LL position was that as long as your alts were good citizens (no harassment, griefing, etc.)  they were OK with it.   Again, that could be changing and hopefully if someone HAS been charged a fee they will let us know.  Personally I think that charge is reasonable and in theory would keep griefing down as a viable payment method would be needed. 

As we have seen over and over again, the wiki is frequently NOT kept up to date and so really can't be relied on to show the current ACTUAL policy.  Again, that may be changing.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

8 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Around 2006 (and perhaps before) the $9.95 charge was BUILT INTO the sign up sheet and obviously accounts were "linked" together. Paying the fee gave you a "legal alt".  You could still make alts beyond that but they weren't "legal". You could NOT have more than five "legal alts" back then

Wow - Well that was gone by July 2007, which is when I created my first alt (me).  There was no mention of fees when signing up except for the Premium membership fee.

10 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

When Bellisseria came on the scene it was pretty obvious that LL didn't care how many alts you had as some folks posting here went way over that.  Some folks posting here have 26 and more alt accounts and have never had any issues and some folks apparently (not sure why they would lie) have more then five premium alts.  This was often  to get the very good deal on group mainland (not so good now but still cheaper).  

Long before Bellisseria came about, I had roughly a dozen Premium alts -- specifically for that reason of donating tier to my mainland land group.  I still have around 15 or so accounts, but only 3 of them are Premium right now.  Those were specifically to get Bellisseria homes, because (as you mentioned) after the premium fee increase, multiple premium alts are not really the cheapest way to do large mainland plots.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, but notice the careful wording (with my emphasis) ...

"if you create an army of alts, Linden Lab may charge a small fee of US$9.95 for the creation of each additional basic account as a way to recoup some of the cost."

For well over a decade, LL has used that wording to discourage people from creating a large number of alt accounts.  I don't think anyone knows how often they have actually charged the $9.95 fee, but it's the ultimate deterrent in case they catch some griefer with an alt army.  Personally, I doubt that they would charge it for, say, a school that wanted to create a couple dozen accounts for class work.

I posted the link to the official policy,  we know how it works, but it's there for them to read too.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.