Looking For a Team For a Startup Mesh Body: Brand - EBONics Origin

forbittenapple

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greetings Forum Passerbys!

At the moment, I am a single person (female) on the plight of many contributors such as game creation/optimization and user-friendly mesh body utilization. As an aspiring 3D enthusiast, I believe I can provide a comparable level of character creation and aestheticism to software like MetaHuman, Reallusion Character Creator, DAZ3D, and with the same rendering appeal as Iray, Octane, Redshift, or Arnold. I am willing to go through the trials and tribulations of next-generation second life assets, or as some would put it, "putting the pedal to the metal." With that in mind, I am undoubtedly looking for members who are familiar with these applications and plugins and who share similar motivational interests. I'm looking forward to learning from my future contributors as well.

Allow me to introduce the brand formally. EBONics Origin is a second life startup that competes to install high-quality game assets such as a signature mesh body AND a line of mesh heads. EBONics is a derivation of the word "ebonics," which is a combination of "ebony" and "phonics"; Meaning: American black English regarded as a separate language rather than a dialect of standard English. Aside from literal definitions, this brand was envisioned and will ultimately cater to the black/African American female demographic, and it encourages consumers to read between the lines through appropriate brand marketing. Mesh heads will have the well-known african facial genotype, while the body will have a sporty build with rounding where the ends meet. Of course, with proper Second Life rigging and customization, a variety of ethnic appearances are possible. Mesh body parts and mesh heads will be created by me in the start, with an open mind to refinement.

I've only been on Second Life for 8 months, but I've already purchased four mainstream bodies and a fairly new body that had been discarded for lack of consumer readiness. I've dissected their usage, optimization, user and developer friendliness, resourced blogs, and have gained a well-rounded understanding.
What I'm looking for is:

- Brand Marketers (Up to 3)

Proficient in logo design, graphic design, UX/UI design, and general HTML5/Css understanding, Typography (Flexible)

Proficient in software such as Illustrator, Visual Studio Code, Dreamweaver, and general media networking (Flexible)

Logo Types Requested:

Lettermark (for purposes of lower quaility handling such as Second Life Marketplace LOGO) Will need 800 by 800 and 45 by 45
Best file types: .ai, .eps, .png, .jpeg/jpg, .svg (editable and easily transferable with lossless quality)

Wordmark (for purposes of higher quality handling such as websites and banner use) Will need 800 by 800 and 100 by 700
Best file types: .ai, .eps, .png, .jpeg/jpg, .svg (editable and easily transferable with lossless quality)

Combination mark (for purposes of image adverts and social media marketing) Will need 800 by 800

Pictoral mark (interchangeable within Combination mark) Will need 800 by 800

Social Media Handles:

Facebook, Flickr, Professional website (Flexible)

- Mesh 3d Modelers (Up to 3)

Mesh Requested:

Clothing, shoes

Other:

Mesh body/head(s) refinement

Proficient in software such as Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop, Marvelous Designer, Maya, or 3ds MAX, UV mapping (Flexible)

- Scripters (Up to 3)

Proficient in the linden scripting language

Scripting Requested:

HUD systems (Flexible)

- Riggers (Up to 3):

Proficient in software such as Blender, and general second life viewer functionality

Rigging Requested:

Mesh body, hands, feet, Animations, Poses

- Skin Creators (Up to 3)

Proficient in software such as Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop, DAZ3D, Rendering, UV mapping (Flexible)

*Flexibility determines multiple roles that a person can take up, and in the concentration of proficiency of said software or additional software unmentioned

My Skills:

Proficient in software such as Blender, Zbrush, Photoshop, DAZ3D, Marvelous Designer, Logo Design, Graphic Design, Typography, Illustrator, Visual Studio Code, UI design, general HTML5/Css understanding, general second life viewer functionality *and constantly learning

Mesh Body:

Front View [ CENSOR WARNINg ]

Three Fourths View [ CENSOR WARNING ]

Features:

- Optimum/Default body shape

- Optimum/Default Hands + Feet

Upcoming Installments:

- General refinement

- HD Nipple/Areola types + No Nipple for mesh fitting

- HD Breast types

- HD Genitalia + Pubic Hair

- Alternative Body types/Deforms (Abiding by the 3 Somatotypes)

Future endeavors include HUD, Alpha, Physics, BOM optimization, fitted mesh, interactive clothing and HD SLUV skins, normals and bump mapping.

Rigging:

*No In-depth rigging

- Set to t-pose to optimize Second Life skeleton

Hands:

(Square Nails Previewed)

hands-angle.png.933caa8bb49ff1457ef90c37180e1f23.png

Features:

- Optimum/Default Hand Shape

- Up to 3 Nail types (Square, Almond, Stiletto) + Natural

- Up to 3 Nail levels (Short, Mid, Long)

Upcoming Installments:

- Static/Animated poses

- Nail Systems HUD

Rigging:

*No In-depth rigging

- Set to t-pose to optimize Second Life skeleton

Feet:

feet-flat-3foruths.png.cad9d67e2e69af7d27e5edd8afac43d7.png

Features:

- Optimum/Default Feet Shape

- Flat Feet type (Stand)

Upcoming Installments:

- Up to 3 Feet levels (Stand, Arched, Tips)

- Up to 3 Feet Lengths + Toes

- Feet/Toes Animations

- Included in Nail Systems HUD

Rigging:

*No In-depth rigging

- Set to t-pose to optimize Second Life skeleton (mostly)

*Images taken in Zbrush

Project span: Approximately 6 months to a year *and ongoing

Reference:

Top-Selling Mesh Avatar Bodies Drastically Hurting Overall Second Life Performance

Second Life: Female Body Statistics

Second Life: Female Head Statistics

The 3 Somatotypes

Edited by forbittenapple
Censored nudity (avatar body rendition) for forums guidelines

:D.  So there are three (at least) threads on this subject. Most have comments that refer to "this isn't the right forum for that info"  ---- so I am replying to the one placed in the CORRECT SPOT (the MESH forum is mostly for "why isn't this working" questions).   

I don't want to be depressing but I feel like someone should explain that "elephant" in the room regarding your project.  You seem to have done a lot of research on what is needed for an SL mesh body and that's good.  Your account on the forums is from the end of last year so you aren't technically "new" :D.   Your INWORLD profile is completely and utterly empty. 

Here's the thing. There are many many mesh bodies for women in SL.  Only three or four make up most of the users. There have only been two newish brands to break into the long time leader ranks where creators actually make some RL money. The other creations  which are good bodies are used by a scattering of folks throughout the grid. So even if you could make a better than anyone else's body it is going to be very hard to get it accepted as one of the top three or five etc.  

While it seems like you should know that --- I am pretty sure that anyone with the skills that you need for your project  DOES know that LOL  -- hence it is going to be very difficult I think to find folks to join you.  They might do work for hire for RL currency of course and maybe that's your plan, 

One of the biggest issues for mesh bodies is clothing. And if your avatar can't wear "most" of the clothing of some top brands (clothing and shoes) most folks won't buy.  And of course you cannot have the body be so close to another brand that you are infringing on that's brands rights. What you really want is some creators that make good quality clothing that will also opt in to the project.  I am not all that privy to the clothing making world in SL but from my experience blogging for  secondary mesh body brands I would say that it would be difficult UNLESS you already had ties to those designers. 

It is currently one of the slowest times in SL history -- that 'I" can remember anyway.  Each and every summer season is slow and many creators take the time off or more or less off. This year we have the release of mask and lock down orders and so even more folks are out and about and not all that interested in their virtual lives at the moment.   So the available pool of creators is likely smaller than it would be in say -- October next.  

I don't want to be depressing -- just realistic.  So if folks don't start pounding on your door wanting to join the party -- it most likely isn't a reflection of your work, but an understanding of the virtual times we are living in. 

Just my opinion of course and others may have different ideas. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling and clarification
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

:D.  So there are three (at least) threads on this subject. Most have comments that refer to "this isn't the right forum for that info"  ---- so I am replying to the one placed in the CORRECT SPOT (the MESH forum is mostly for "why isn't this working" questions).   

I don't want to be depressing but I feel like someone should explain that "elephant" in the room regarding your project.  You seem to have done a lot of research on what is needed for an SL mesh body and that's good.  Your account on the forums is from the end of last year so you aren't technically "new" :D.   Your INWORLD profile is completely and utterly empty. 

Here's the thing. There are many many mesh bodies for women in SL.  Only three or four make up most of the users. There have only been two newish brands to break into the long time leader ranks where creators actually make some RL money. The other creations  which are good bodies are used by a scattering of folks throughout the grid. So even if you could make a better than anyone else's body it is going to be very hard to get it accepted as one of the top three or five etc.  

While it seems like you should know that --- I am pretty sure that anyone with the skills that you need for your project  DOES know that LOL  -- hence it is going to be very difficult I think to find folks to join you.  They might do work for hire for RL currency of course and maybe that's your plan, 

One of the biggest issues for mesh bodies is clothing. And if your avatar can't wear "most" of the clothing of some top brands (clothing and shoes) most folks won't buy.  And of course you cannot have the body be so close to another brand that you are infringing on that's brands rights. What you really want is some creators that make good quality clothing that will also opt in to the project.  I am not all that privy to the clothing making world in SL but from my experience blogging for  secondary mesh body brands I would say that it would be difficult UNLESS you already had ties to those designers. 

It is currently one of the slowest times in SL history -- that 'I" can remember anyway.  Each and every summer season is slow and many creators take the time off or more or less off. This year we have the release of mask and lock down orders and so even more folks are out and about and not all that interested in their virtual lives at the moment.   So the available pool of creators is likely smaller than it would be in say -- October next.  

I don't want to be depressing -- just realistic.  So if folks don't start pounding on your door wanting to join the party -- it most likely isn't a reflection of your work, but an understanding of the virtual times we are living in. 

I appreciate the time you took out to write all of this out. Truly. You have made points that I am very aware of, but I cannot let those deter me, and rather than climbing the ranks I am focusing on evolution of second life quality and furthermore consumer values and inclusion. Just as any other platform that supports creator expansion, there are those who are more open to change than some.

On behalf of my second life "longevity" I might say, I am certainly experienced. I have mockups of what my profile will entail, but I keep that in mind especially in regards to public appearances. Once again, thanks so much for your response. It feels like a dead horse at times.

Edited by forbittenapple
  • Like 1

DISCLAIMER

naomi.gif.65f0a0b46a4372f8c75e72966876c434.gif

Logistics and budgeting will be discussed further with interested parties ONLY via inbox.

Candidates must be self-motivated and knowledgeable about software. Entry-level to seasoned professionals are encouraged to apply.

Criticisms or unfounded doubt/backhandedness will not be addressed by me because, unfortunately, members engage in patronizing and berating behaviors. Although, you have the right to express your opinion; Honest inquiries, questions, or concerns outside of the fields I've mentioned are acceptable.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt

Edited by forbittenapple

On 7/13/2021 at 1:42 AM, Chic Aeon said:

"One of the biggest issues for mesh bodies is clothing. And if your avatar can't wear "most" of the clothing of some top brands (clothing and shoes) most folks won't buy.  And of course you cannot have the body be so close to another brand that you are infringing on that's brands rights. "

Greetings, I was reading the thread, and I noticed something : well what may be the value of "so close" here. as far as I see, most well known brands are very close to each other (skin weights of those bodies) 

7 hours ago, embersRealm said:

well what may be the value of "so close" here. as far as I see, most well known brands are very close to each other (skin weights of those bodies) 

try wearing a variety of clothing made for a different brand on a body and see how many places poke through.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:38 PM, Quistess Alpha said:

try wearing a variety of clothing made for a different brand on a body and see how many places poke through.

okay, so if I develop a mesh body and manually make skin weights very close  to those well known brands. ie : maitreya.  does that means infringing on that's brands rights?

57 minutes ago, embersRealm said:

okay, so if I develop a mesh body and manually make skin weights very close  to those well known brands. ie : maitreya.  does that means infringing on that's brands rights?

At that point it comes down to process and intent. This is not legal or moral advice, but I would say, if you start from the maitreya (or search-replace another body brand) dev-kit and manually move the weights around just to be different, that's infringement. if you start from scratch and make something kinda close, while being specifically ignorant of the actual weights maitreya has, then adjust the weights so that most clothes fit ok, then that's acceptable reverse-engineering.

Now, for maitreya specifically there already exists a free full-perm and open-source body that has similarish proportions and weights. https://github.com/RuthAndRoth/Ruth2/tree/master/Mesh/Ruth2_v4 Fix the butt a little and it would be about as perfect as one could ask for without being the actual thing.

(Edit) Their official SL marketplace (and there are a lot of ripoffs:) https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/228512  I don't like the head on the v4 as much as I like the head and the alpha cuts on the v3 though, and for the record, to get an acceptable (IMO) head shape with the v4 you need to push some sliders on the brow-shaper (legacy hair wearable) to somewhat extreme levels.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

if you start from scratch and make something kinda close, while being specifically ignorant of the actual weights maitreya has, then adjust the weights so that most clothes fit ok, then that's acceptable reverse-engineering."

okay as you already wrote , even if I  start from scratch and make something kinda close, while being specifically ignorant of the actual weights maitreya has, can I prove that ? if I develop the mesh body and, to answer customers needs for clothing, re-adjust breast shape, skin weights according to clothing fit (most clothes for maitreya so lets say according to it, not from dev kit, but for ex : trying clothes on body and trial error) so it is acceptable, but if the creator of the mesh body claims "thats infringment" and fill a dmca etc, how can I protect my product? I think , if the creator of mesh body fills a dmca, its hard to prove that "reverse-engineering" or  if someone is serious on starting a mesh body project, should they take that risk ?

Edited by embersRealm

2 minutes ago, embersRealm said:

okay as you already wrote , even if I  start from scratch and make something kinda close, while being specifically ignorant of the actual weights maitreya has, can I prove that ? if I develop the mesh body and, to answer customers needs for clothing, re-adjust breast shape, skin weights according to clothing fit (most clothes for maitreya so lets say according to it, not from dev kit, but for ex : trying clothes on body and trial error) so it is acceptable, but if the creator of the mesh body claims "thats infringment" and fill a dmca etc, how can I protect my product? I think , if the creator of mesh body fills a dmca, its hard to prove that "reverse-engineering" 

You're asking for legal advice. Go get a lawyer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.