Jump to content

Do you change your avatar’s features?


RoyBlakeley
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

For me, Roy and his alts are like virtual dolls. I might change their clothes sometimes, but I don’t change their bodies. When I’ve wanted to try a different look I’ve created an Alt. But based on looking through the forums it seems many people like to change their whole main avi. So do you change yours, or not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over time I make adjustments but they are minor and once I make an adjustment i will stick with it. This usually happens after something about my look starts to bother me. My legs are to long, or something like that, eventually I will fix it and then not change until the next thing that starts to bug me.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope!  I love how my avi looks and just change the cosmetic things - eyes, skins etc.  However I do have a collection of other heads (LeLutka, Genus etc) and switch from my petite shape to other body types when I need to blog something that is not Catwa/Petite compatible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the start I tinkered to get the look I wanted. Finally got everything smoothed out, and follow my own 8:1 idealized artists proportions for my body ... therefore 5'9" (175cm), correct shoulder position, torso length, leg and arm length, hip placement, widths, crotch and navel at the proper spot, knees, etc. Too many women in game are wayyyy to leggy, and I notice things like that as an artist.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall, my avatar has been the same since the beginning.  The changes come with each new thing introduced.  Lolas, cutebutt, then mesh heads/bodies.  If you look at my avatar at the beginning of my Flickr until now, her 'character' is the same.  Average height, average width and Black.  I do get attached to a look so it's always a struggle when I eventually change something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm always toying around with my shapes.. I just make sure I label them well or I'll get them all mixed up..

Mostly I'll put a date and version and the name of the look..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

At the start I tinkered to get the look I wanted. Finally got everything smoothed out, and follow my own 8:1 idealized artists proportions for my body ... therefore 5'9" (175cm), correct shoulder position, torso length, leg and arm length, hip placement, widths, crotch and navel at the proper spot, knees, etc. Too many women in game are wayyyy to leggy, and I notice things like that as an artist.

I might need to take a look at this... Somehow? Is there like an in world way to do this, or did you eyeball it? I'm trying my best for "me" and not some 80ft tall Amazon. 

Anyhoo, I tinker all the time, but I have a "me" look that's pretty much how I feel/ visualize myself, so if there's a shiny new head, I stop to see if it's a "fit"... For example, I don't ever consider any heads that are more Asian in build, not because I don't like them, (no I am absolutely not a racist. ) the heads just don't work for what I have envisioned

I've had the same overall theme to my Avi since the beginning, and short of some super groundbreaking new "thing" (looking at you, mesh) I don't see myself changing much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I treatmy alts the same way - a box of dolls, each with their different look. Helps to keep their inventory relatively tidy, too. Since I only get them things that suit the look I am going for. 

They usually stay the same in terms of shape, worth some minor tinkering. On a whim I can give them full makeover with new skin, shape, mesh, everything. Happens maybe once a year? 

Edited by Littoralis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll switch to different skins occasionally for different looks (though always reverting to my main one), including fantasy skins of various colours. I seldom change my shape except to adjust it where necessary for certain clothes. I'll often switch between flat chest, petite chest or no chest add-on at all, depending on the outfit. But I don't change my face shape at all unless I've got a new head, and in that case I tend to stick with the new head if I like it better than the old one. 

Over time I've slowly gotten more used to having actual boobs, it doesn't make me uncomfortable any more like it did a year ago. 

Nel has stayed more or less the same, though with a new, more muscular skin and some new high-tech prosthetics.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope. Not ever. Of course I have upgraded to Mesh and I have once changed my head to one I liked better, but everything else stays exactly the same and aside from quality, I have just the same look as I did when I started in 2008. I'm still wearing the same skin I bought in about 2013.

Different looks - that's what my alts are for. And once they are settled on a look, they never change either. Well except for one, but she's a werewolf.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a general face shape and body type that I like, and when I get a new head or body, I tend to try to recreate something close to the previous look--it's not really possible to be identical when switching from Genus to Lelutka, for example, but I want them to at least look like they could be sisters 😄 I buy new shapes and skins sometimes when they're on deep discount and I'm curious, but I tend to think they all look weird once I've gotten used to the look I have.

I also have an alternate body shape for when I, for some reason, really want to wear an item that's in standard sizes. My usual body shape is too big for M and too small for L, so I have a special tweaked (smaller boobs) one for wearing M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ellie4024 said:

I might need to take a look at this... Somehow? Is there like an in world way to do this, or did you eyeball it? I'm trying my best for "me" and not some 80ft tall Amazon. 

Anyhoo, I tinker all the time, but I have a "me" look that's pretty much how I feel/ visualize myself, so if there's a shiny new head, I stop to see if it's a "fit"... For example, I don't ever consider any heads that are more Asian in build, not because I don't like them, (no I am absolutely not a racist. ) the heads just don't work for what I have envisioned

I've had the same overall theme to my Avi since the beginning, and short of some super groundbreaking new "thing" (looking at you, mesh) I don't see myself changing much

Sent you a IM via the forum messaging :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 6 years I had my mesh body, not changed but in last 4 years I had 3 different Catwa head, (non bento then when bento came out went to bento then now went to HDPro when Majer came out) and updated my skins and shapes a few times in 6 years to fit my various heads I had at different times due to head I had at that time. Then when I finally went fully BOM; I updated my eyes to BOM but otherwise I don't change my skin or shape or eyes however my hair colour can vary to my mood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, RoyBlakeley said:

For me, Roy and his alts are like virtual dolls. I might change their clothes sometimes, but I don’t change their bodies. When I’ve wanted to try a different look I’ve created an Alt. But based on looking through the forums it seems many people like to change their whole main avi. So do you change yours, or not?

yes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did huge makeover if i will compare myself to 2018 me. I were buying shapes and never really changed a thing.When lel evo x came out i kinda copied my shape from "dated" version of head and this time i got lips shape i wanted.So thats first time i changed more than one slider,heeh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will spend a great deal of time, thought and lindens on new skins, hair, mesh bodies etc just so I can look very similar to the way I always look. I guess for me, Mercedes is a dark-haired avie with certain features and I can not picture her another way. If I want an entirely different look, I make a new avie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before mesh bodies and heads, I was never satisfied with how the avatar looked. I bought new skin constantly, and used as many attachments as I could, to hide things like the awful wrists with a stack of bangles.

I was blonde, but changed to red/brown about the same time as I went full mesh. Mesh has erased the flaws in the default avatars. I do not feel the need to change so often. I had the Simone head many years, no matter if new heads came out. I found nothing better. But when a head with more features came out, I changed to it. I will use the head I have now for many years to come, I feel.

The alts also stay almost the same. They get the free mesh heads when they are released, but they are not totally changed.

Edited by Marianne Little
Link to comment
Share on other sites

アバターを変えるのが好きですが、自分に合った頭を見つけたので、まったく問題ありません。乳白色の肌なので、髪と薄いメイクを探すだけです。

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JusticeBo said:

アバターを変えるのが好きですが、自分に合った頭を見つけたので、まったく問題ありません。乳白色の肌なので、髪と薄いメイクを探すだけです。

Google Translate, from Japanese into English:
"I like changing avatars, but I've found a head that suits me, so it's perfectly fine. With milky skin, all you have to do is look for hair and light makeup."

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/12/2021 at 12:04 AM, RoyBlakeley said:

For me, Roy and his alts are like virtual dolls. I might change their clothes sometimes, but I don’t change their bodies. When I’ve wanted to try a different look I’ve created an Alt. But based on looking through the forums it seems many people like to change their whole main avi. So do you change yours, or not?

I used to do this and amassed quite a number of alts in doing so. After deciding I needed some stability in my Second Life I settled on this account and use her as a chameleon. She has three different identities at the moment and I enjoy using the one that appeals to me most at the time I log in. Having made many outfits for each identity it’s so very easy to change between each. It has also saved me some money as I really only have to buy ‘toys’ (I love vehicles and buildings) for one av rather than for a few.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I change quite a lot. I switch between human and furry, or an in-between hybrid, fairly regularly, and I also switch bodies; I prefer Hourglass but some clothes I have and like fit Maitreya only, so for those I switch to Kalhene. My overall shape tends to stay more or less the same but the sliders themselves will be different depending on whether I am on Hourglass or Kalhene. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I change a lot, I like to play with sliders and I'm changing not only the body shape but the head too. I don't use ready made shapes because there is always something I don't like. So yeah, I use sliders to customise my look very often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

 

I was blonde, but changed to red/brown about the same time as I went full mesh. Mesh has erased the flaws in the default avatars. I do not feel the need to change so often. I had the Simone head many years, no matter if new heads came out. I found nothing better. But when a head with more features came out, I changed to it. I will use the head I have now for many years to come, I feel.

 

Oh yeah, I forgot about hair. I change my hair *style* all the time, but I have a color range I like, allowing for differences between hair makers in terms of what colors they actually make. Basically, if you look at my hair and you're not sure if it's blonde, red, or brown, I did it right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...