Support for viewers on Linux.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

That Drakeo guy is now stalking me in-world.  I decided to block him.

Guess you  missed a couple of his threads in the General Discussion Forum.  He had to leave me an offline asking me why I was mean.

His one thread was concerning adding a feature to the viewer so you could tell who everyone's alts were.  I'd be very suspicious of any viewer he created.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Guess you  missed a couple of his threads in the General Discussion Forum.  He had to leave me an offline asking me why I was mean.

His one thread was concerning adding a feature to the viewer so you could tell who everyone's alts were.  I'd be very suspicious of any viewer he created.

There is no way for the viewer to determine alts.

There is no viewer to viewer communication at all .. which is a shame as there are lots of times when it would actually come in useful.

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There is no viewer to viewer communication at all .. which is a shame as there are lots of times when it would actually come in useful.

I'll take your word on it, Coffee as you're a credible source.  I didn't think there was but I honestly have no clue.  It was just disturbing that someone who built a viewer made a request for something such as alt detection to be allowed in the viewer.  I guess that goes along with not allowing basic accounts here.  Maybe his next request will be to post your account status on your profile.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There could be, and very easily: the viewers derive an unique computer ID out of your computer hardware. This ID is used during login and allows LL to track griefers, for example. It would be dead easy to add some code to the viewer in order to transfer that ID together with the avatar name to a third party website so to register them into a database and then find out what avatars pertain to the same person (or, at least, are used on the same computer, since a family could be using several accounts on it, with several avatars).

My advice is to never trust any viewer build that is not provided by the developer/team maintaining that viewer, together with the sources (and only via their official web site or channel). This is true of any Open Source software !

• Like 3

My original problem with Voice, Vivox, and Linux seems to have ended. I have logged in, and Voice is working. I have made no changes to my system since I gave up: all the suggested solutions failing. I haven't loaded new copies of any files, changed any firewall setting since the last time SLvoice three that standard Vivox error pop-up at me. Voice was, some 12 hours ago, still dead to me. And now it works.

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Vivox servers are unreliable.

It seems the height of recklessness for Linden Lab, for in-world meetings with customers, to be so devoted to using Voice.

9 hours ago, arabellajones said:

My original problem with Voice, Vivox, and Linux seems to have ended. I have logged in, and Voice is working. I have made no changes to my system since I gave up: all the suggested solutions failing. I haven't loaded new copies of any files, changed any firewall setting since the last time SLvoice three that standard Vivox error pop-up at me. Voice was, some 12 hours ago, still dead to me. And now it works.

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Vivox servers are unreliable.

It seems the height of recklessness for Linden Lab, for in-world meetings with customers, to be so devoted to using Voice.

This is very common  you will want to  tp to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Voice Echo Canyon/128/126/24

in FS re initialize voice. If in LL viewer re-log  to last place  and if it works then contact LL let them know that that parcel on

what simulator  you have this issue. 

What happens when the simulator  is restarted it initializes vivox voice module.  Make a hand shake simple as a  user name and password.

If vivox  does not make the hand shake  then you have no voice on that simulator.

Then if vivox  server for some reason does a reset then voice goes down. Then LL will will have to restart the simulator

This happens to me about  3 times a year.  Some times more  but I have to report it  about 2 times a year.

I just login into echo canyon make the connection. If down still past restart day I contact that fine robot that never relays the message.

So it is best to contact LL during them short business hours in  chat and  report it. Tell them it is working at voice canyon .

This is  very common on Main Land.

Do your part help LL report it.

Edited by Adam01Time

On 7/10/2021 at 1:43 AM, arabellajones said:

It seems not impossible that the Lab's servers are really running under Windows 10.

in your help >> About Viewer. You will see the sim host "simhost-052666de8f6d097bd.agni"

LL has been on Amazon servers as long as I can remember.

Now they are on the AWS Amazon Web Services "cloud".  Please take your time and create a free account  on AWS

This way you can learn  it really doesn't mater what operating system is running on AWS.

The thought of LL having to buy a MS license per simulator  would lead me to believe not on Windows.

The simulator is built runs in MONO.

Edited by Adam01Time
  • Haha 1

Although the speculation is fun we might assume LL is still running the simulator hosts on Debian GNU Linux until they tell us otherwise.  But that's old information.  Maybe I was told otherwise and forgot?  Used to be able to build and run a simulator host on Windows to be able to use Visual Debugger.  Dunno if that's still possible.

21 hours ago, Adam01Time said:

in your help >> About Viewer. You will see the sim host "simhost-052666de8f6d097bd.agni"

LL has been on Amazon servers as long as I can remember.

Nope, that's new! SL was entirely hosted out of there own data centers. Textures (etc) were moved to the CDN a few years back (and that was wonderful).

The thought of LL having to buy a MS license per simulator  would lead me to believe not on Windows.

It's probably not on windows .. but that said, volume licensing is a hell of a drug.

The simulator is built runs in MONO.

The simulator is not.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Can anyone say RedZone II? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Vivox, and SLvoice, still feel problematic. As I said, above, suddenly everything started working, without me making any change to my system. The voice indicators sometimes work, sometimes dont, and I know I have changed nothing.

Then the new Firestorm version appeared. I downloaded it, started using it. That could, I suppose, have messed up voice, but it didn't. Voice works, the indicators, showing who is speaking, are still unreliable.

I am resigned to mentioning a problem, trying to give details of my experience, and getting swamped by suggestions and solutions that suggest nobody has bothered to read my description.

On 8/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, arabellajones said:

Vivox, and SLvoice, still feel problematic. As I said, above, suddenly everything started working, without me making any change to my system. The voice indicators sometimes work, sometimes dont, and I know I have changed nothing.

Then the new Firestorm version appeared. I downloaded it, started using it. That could, I suppose, have messed up voice, but it didn't. Voice works, the indicators, showing who is speaking, are still unreliable.

I am resigned to mentioning a problem, trying to give details of my experience, and getting swamped by suggestions and solutions that suggest nobody has bothered to read my description.

Vivox servers go down with the tides sometimes I think. My main could be out but my alt is fine and vice versa. There really isn't much you can do about it except to "hurry up and wait" :|

It is best to use the Windows version with Wine. Linux SLVoice (Vivox 3.2) is over ten years old now and not supported. The 32 bit Windows binaries are included with the Firestorm download (Vivox 4.6). Just make sure Wine is installed and to activate it go to debug settings (ctrl alt shift S) and change FSLinuxEnableWin32VoiceProxy to TRUE and restart Firestorm.

2 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

Vivox servers go down with the tides sometimes I think. My main could be out but my alt is fine and vice versa. There really isn't much you can do about it except to "hurry up and wait" :|

It is best to use the Windows version with Wine. Linux SLVoice (Vivox 3.2) is over ten years old now and not supported. The 32 bit Windows binaries are included with the Firestorm download (Vivox 4.6). Just make sure Wine is installed and to activate it go to debug settings (ctrl alt shift S) and change FSLinuxEnableWin32VoiceProxy to TRUE and restart Firestorm.

It's odd how the Firestorm people don't mention the different version numbers, and how that wine method loads a vaguely-specified add-on module and then doesn't work. I do have a version of Firestorm I can run under wine, 64-bit Windows, and voice works on that. If you haven't noticed, they really discourage you from using 32-bit Windows code. I think Linden Lab have already stopped supplying a 32-bit Windows version.

I suppose it is worth trying, but when it doesn't work, as comprehensively as it just didn't for me, it feels like a dead end. 64-bit Windows has been a default since Windows 7 came out in 2009. Offering a 32-bit-only option seems ill-advised.

Relying on voice to "involve" your customers is looking a bit stupid.

1 hour ago, arabellajones said:

It's odd how the Firestorm people don't mention the different version numbers, and how that wine method loads a vaguely-specified add-on module and then doesn't work. I do have a version of Firestorm I can run under wine, 64-bit Windows, and voice works on that. If you haven't noticed, they really discourage you from using 32-bit Windows code. I think Linden Lab have already stopped supplying a 32-bit Windows version.

I suppose it is worth trying, but when it doesn't work, as comprehensively as it just didn't for me, it feels like a dead end. 64-bit Windows has been a default since Windows 7 came out in 2009. Offering a 32-bit-only option seems ill-advised.

Relying on voice to "involve" your customers is looking a bit stupid.

I'm half asleep right now... Are you using the Linux, Windows or Mac version of Firestorm? If you are using Windows or Mac forget everything I posted before and down below. ZZZzzz...

No, don't run FS in wine unless you like decreased performance. What you will be running is SLVoice.exe in wine. Everything else is native Linux code. Voice in Linux is all 32 bit code even in the 64 bit version of FS. Doesnt matter if the viewer is using Linux or Windows for voice. 

marissa@marissa-ROG-G703GXR-G703GXR:~/Downloads/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_x86_64_6.4.21.64531/bin$ file SLVoice
SLVoice: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, not stripped

marissa@marissa-ROG-G703GXR-G703GXR:~/Downloads/Phoenix_Firestorm-Release_x86_64_6.4.21.64531/bin/win32$ file SLVoice.exe
SLVoice.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows

Edited by MarissaOrloff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 73 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.