Why are clothing textures for Mesh blanks sold as FP?

Semirans

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I normally make textures and place them on mesh blanks that I have bought for sale, but I see lots of sellers selling full perm textures for the mesh blanks.  Is there a necessity that the texture be full perm in order to be used by someone?  For example, there is a very common "gift skirt" that is sold for a variety of mesh bodies. If I wanted to make a texture that someone could apply to their copy of that skirt, does my texture need to be Full perm?  I would really rather not have people be able to modify the textures I make for specific mesh items.

For Clarity: When I refer to textures I am talking about the cut out, shaded artwork that is made to be applied to the mesh blanks, not the regular square textures that are used.

Thank you in advance.

Interesting question,  might have something to do with permissions to use the textures, I am not sure.  As someone who enjoys making my own textures from various raw texture sources and applying them to blank mesh,  I have no idea why anyone would want to buy pre made textures for the mesh in the first place.  Unless they were unable or too lazy to texture the items themselves.  I have always wondered why pre made textures are actually sold at all.

3 hours ago, Semirans said:

I normally make textures and place them on mesh blanks that I have bought for sale, but I see lots of sellers selling full perm textures for the mesh blanks.  Is there a necessity that the texture be full perm in order to be used by someone?  For example, there is a very common "gift skirt" that is sold for a variety of mesh bodies. If I wanted to make a texture that someone could apply to their copy of that skirt, does my texture need to be Full perm?  I would really rather not have people be able to modify the textures I make for specific mesh items.

For Clarity: When I refer to textures I am talking about the cut out, shaded artwork that is made to be applied to the mesh blanks, not the regular square textures that are used.

Thank you in advance.

typically we have a alt account to use as a test customer/clothes horse to test questions like these

In this case, the test account has a copy of the mesh blank.  On your main creator account set your textures to no-modify (and no-transfer | no-copy as you prefer). Give the textures to your test account. On your test  account apply the textures to the mesh blank.  Check that the permissions are as you envisage them to be

when the product permissions on the test product (mesh + textures) are as you want your customers to have, and the completed product works for the test customer as intended, then you are good  

12 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when the product permissions on the test product (mesh + textures) are as you want your customers to have, and the completed product works for the test customer as intended, then you are good  

I have an alt that  use for those types of things, to make sure my vendors work as expected and permission are correct. I figured I was missing some essential thing since every "clothing texture" that is sold on the MP is full perms.  I figured I must be missing something obvious that I couldn't conceive of.  All of the textures I see state you can't resell them as is so the person buying them is either using them for their own clothing to wear, or looking at the detailing and shading in order to improve their own creations, unless I am missing something, which I assume that I am.

53 minutes ago, Semirans said:

unless I am missing something

The only thing I can think of is that sometimes textures need to be full perm (or permissive in ways I can't remember) in order to function in certain texture change HUDs.

The best thing to do (almost always) is TEST YOURSELF.  

Textures for creators area almost always (I have only seen "gift" textures that went against this common practice) full perm because NOT having them full perm can make them difficult to use and can affect  final permissions on the product. 

If the texture is no-copy  YOU can only use it once.

If it is no transfer YOU cannot sell the product. 

If it is no mod you obviously can't modify it in any way which is normally what you do with templates :D.

But beyond that I can't see any reason to limit permissions of textures on the items you sell. You of course are not supposed to give away the textures WITH the item (unless of course you made the textures and want to).   Here is a test I just did.

Rez a cube

Add a full perm texture

Change the permissions to M-C-NT (my typical permissions)

Send the item to an alt who had NO ability to edit your items.

All the alt can see is a thumbnail of the original picture and not a very clear one at that. So it is fairly unusable. In the case of clothing items are most often no-mod and so the person then sees nothing but a locked box icon.  

There is a starting point.

Trying different tests (with both texture and finished project) will give you a good idea of what happens and why textures are most often sold full perm.  How you change the permissions on the texture will affect the way the next person (the buyer) can interact with the product.  

I appreciate the replies. I think I am failing to make myself understood. I understand how permissions work and that textures need to be full perm for someone to put them in a hud.

if I create a texture that I want to sell on the mp, that is meant to be applied to a mesh blank, is there any reason I would not set the permissions to no mod/ no trans? It just seems bad business to set it to full perms since then people could resell it or modify it.

Of the 25849 MP search results for "texture mod" 18893 have mod permissions. but only 3547 have transfer perms. It does not seem (to me) to be the case that most people in your market sector sell full perm, quite the opposite.

One thing you might not be understanding is that for textures, the "modify" permission is basically meaningless. It is only possible to download and modify a texture if it is full perm. "modifiable" textures are slightly less annoying for the end-user (they only see one restriction after the name) and they are no more insecure for the seller ( there's not much danger of plagiarism unless someone downloads then re-uploads the texture*). so sellers might as well leave the box checked.

*there may or may not be other ways to plagiarize a texture, but lets not talk about them.

Edited by Quistess Alpha

Thank you to everyone that replied. I think I figured out what I wasn’t understanding. I assumed that anyone buying mesh blanks would make their own textures to put on them to sell. It never occurred to me that someone might buy the blank and buy textures made for it, put them in a hud and sell it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Semirans said:

I think I figured out what I wasn’t understanding. I assumed that anyone buying mesh blanks would make their own textures to put on them to sell. It never occurred to me that someone might buy the blank and buy textures made for it, put them in a hud and sell it.

Yes indeed that does happen, and it creates a problem for those of us who do put our own textures on the blanks.  It allows someone to take credit for a creative process that they have not done.  It uses other peoples creativity to make money for themselves in direct competition with those of us who do put in the effort be creative.  I have never understood why someone would make and sell textures for blank mesh,  when clearly they  must have the mesh, so why not sell the finished product themselves.  Why sell textures for blanks???  Makes no sense to me I am afraid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

Yes indeed that does happen, and it creates a problem for those of us who do put our own textures on the blanks.  It allows someone to take credit for a creative process that they have not done.  It uses other peoples creativity to make money for themselves in direct competition with those of us who do put in the effort be creative.  I have never understood why someone would make and sell textures for blank mesh,  when clearly they  must have the mesh, so why not sell the finished product themselves.  Why sell textures for blanks???  Makes no sense to me I am afraid.

My thoughts have always been that those people are looking for a quick buck, that they think it will be easier to make money in the smaller full perm texture market rather than competing with the countless other merchants selling apparel. I'm not sure how they go, very few of these full perm texture makers sell what I would call high quality stuff which may be why they are not bothering to compete with other clothing makers to begin with.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.