Mesh Bodies/Heads

Avinami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's been a while since I've been on SL and mesh seems to have taken over. I know Matrieya (sp?) is popular, but searching the marketplace, I can't find the actual mesh bodies. Just clothes and accessories. Can someone tell me how to find them or link me to them?

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If you're new to this ..

DEMO EVERYTHING

Get a demo body, and a demo head, get some demo skins, demo clothing, and take your time.

I'm not necessarily new. My account is several years old, but I've taken the past two off because I didn't have time to play. Not only that, but many of the demos I have tried have been atrocious. I want good quality items since I have the currency for it, I just don't know what is generally considered "good".

1 minute ago, Avinami said:

I'm not necessarily new. My account is several years old, but I've taken the past two off because I didn't have time to play. Not only that, but many of the demos I have tried have been atrocious. I want good quality items since I have the currency for it, I just don't know what is generally considered "good".

Shop for stuff at events.

https://www.seraphimsl.com/

• Like 1

AS A guy I find the Maitreya avatar looks best for women. I've helped my wife with hers. She has the Maitreya Lara body and a bento head (don't remember who made her head). Maitreya is actually quite easy to work with as far as skin tone and what not. I think that may be one reason it's so popular.

• Haha 1

Maitreya Lara body is a great balance of cost to detail, and the most supported, Legacy maybe being second? 

Heads, there's the big three (Lelutka, Catwa and Genus). You can get a free genus head still I think as a group gift, the newest catwa are nice (HD pro) but are a kick in the wallet... And Lelutka is (at least in my opinion) the best quality to cost.... Likely has the most support for the EvoX line they released a few months back too. 

Hope this helps! 😊

Maitreya is the starter mesh body for new people or others returning and/or wanting to get into the mesh body scene. Then you upgrade to other better looking bodies once you get the hang of it.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Maitreya is the starter mesh body for new people or others returning and/or wanting to get into the mesh body scene. Then you upgrade to other better looking bodies once you get the hang of it.

I wouldn't say Maitreya is a starter body. Ruth and classic mesh body are starter bodies. Also which body is looking better? Upgrate? Lol. 

• Like 3

Maitreya is reasonably frustration free and inoffensive. It's easy to shop for, easier to mesh for and less prone to fit issues  so long as you don't stray from the base body type.

If you're after something with a few more curves, it's the least suitable option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HelenaNavy92 said:

I wouldn't say Maitreya is a starter body. Ruth and classic mesh body are starter bodies. Also which body is looking better? Upgrate? Lol. 

Maitreya is literally the go to body to any and all new and returning female avis. It’s the most recommended even on these forums. I never see anyone mention Ruth or Classic Mesh. Ever. It’s always Maitreya. Its as if Legacy, Kupra, Belleza and all the other 30 female mesh bodies don’t exist. 
It’s been around since forever and has the most clothes. So yes, it’s become the default starter mesh body. Everybody and their grandma has maitreya.

I never liked it. It’s not made for curvy. It’s for thinner avis. And the shoulders are a mess. So yes, there are definitely upgrades. 

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Maitreya is literally the go to body to any and all new and returning female avis. It’s the most recommended even on these forums. I never see anyone mention Ruth or Classic Mesh. Ever. It’s always Maitreya. Its as if Legacy, Kupra, Belleza and all the other 30 female mesh bodies don’t exist. 
It’s been around since forever and has the most clothes. So yes, it’s become the default starter mesh body. Everybody and their grandma has maitreya.

I never liked it. It’s not made for curvy. It’s for thinner avis. And the shoulders are a mess. So yes, there are definitely upgrades. 

I agree with Chris. I only recommend Maitreya for the Petite add-on version if you plan to have a shape with really small boobs. Otherwise I'd recommend Legacy Perky for a "classic" shape and Legacy Classic/Feminine for a shape with big boobs. Kupra is also a good body if you want a very thicc shape but it's more a fetish body than anything. I think you should try them before making a purchase. 

• Like 1

You don't like thin avis and that's the reason you don't like Maitreya. Well I don't like curvy bodies, so making a statement that Maitreya is a starter body just because it's not curvy is nonsense. Also, there are deformers for the shoulder which work very well. 

I never said there are no other bodies, but all of them except Legacy, are not well suported. And I'm not talking only for clothes. 

If someone wants free mesh - then yes, Ruth, Ebody and Classic are the first pick. 

My first was Ruth, then Ebody. Then I purchased the full version of Ebody and I know very well how much efforts I made to find something to fit this body. So Maitreya is recommended because you can wear literally anything you like with this body. 

Edited by HelenaNavy92
  • Like 2

Mesh heads and bodies are best purchased in-store, most creators don't have them on the MP at all. 

One that's not been mentioned yet is Tonic. They have a curvy one and a slimmer one, the slimmer one can have a petite chest option too. I demoed them last week and I think they are lovely bodies, up to date and well made. But then, there's the same old issue of not having much clothing to wear with them. More than Ebody, I think, but not much more.

Another one that seems to be getting a lot of attention lately is Kalhene. They also have a slim one and a curvy one. One of my alts has the slim one and it fits most Maitreya clothes and shoes so you will have plenty to wear. The curvy one is brand new (out this week) so it has nothing, yet. Time will tell but I wouldn't be hopeful. Kupra seems to be the new go-to for curvy but be warned, the hips and butt are HUGE. 

Legacy is beautiful but there are issues with it. It's about five times more complex than Maitreya and three times more than the next-highest (Belleza), so it is going to cause lag for the person who wears it and those around them.  It relies on server-side control for the hud so if Legacy ever go out of business and shut down their servers you're left with a body that you can't modify any more. And it's also twice the price of everything else (except Kupra which is also rather pricey). 

• Like 3

I went with Maitreya (despite the shoulders looking a bit better on the Legacy) because I can walk into 99% of the good clothing places and know I will find the styles I want. I am also slender IRL and so is my avatar here (for those who need details, a small B cup), my only concession to SL's runaway "gigantism" issue is I made my avatar 5'9" tall (164cm) which is several inches taller than I am in RL.

The recent posting about bodies showed Maitreya had a 40% market share with no one else even close.

There are several other good ones, but none that I like each for their own specific reason ... Kupra wayyyy to curvy, Kahlene slim I can not get the hips slender enough to match the real me, Legacy HUD proprietary and stupidly expensive, others not enough clothing support at my fave shops, etc.

Edited by Sapphire Dakota
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sapphire Dakota said:

Kahlene slim I can not get the hips slender enough to match the real me, 

I have the same issue with Kalhene, the hip-to-waist ratio is higher than it is on Maitreya so it always looks like the hips are too big to me. My alt doesn't mind though :)

• Like 1

I like Freya for looks, but Maitreya for low lag and high clothing support, so I just wear Maitreya and make it a little thiccer. It's not as smooth as Freya but now I can shop everywhere.

Used Genus Strong for months and was pretty happy with it, literally just switched to a Lelutka this week.

1 hour ago, BookishMelinoe said:

I like Freya for looks, but Maitreya for low lag

Any mesh body that allows the user to show and hide sections via a HUD can not be considered low lag.

Meshes can only have 8 faces. Each section that can be hidden is a face. Add up all the tiles you can show & hide, divide by 8. You are wearing that many rigged meshes per onion skin layer.

This is bad because the viewer has to process every single rigged attached object every single frame, before it can be rendered. (not attachment, attachments can be made from multiple objects, the total number of sub-objects matters). This is why avatars kill SL performance. The total triangle count is almost immaterial compared to the rigged processing part.

The newest Maitreya wins a point back for allowing you to only wear the base layer and not all of them all the time anymore.

It loses a dozen points for having a hacky bounding box that is the maximum allowed size for a standard avatar, this forces the viewer to treat it as the most important body in a scene. Maitreya bodies are the last to be rendered as an imposter and will remain fully rendered even when larger avatars or avatars closer to your camera get downgraded to imposters.

(as an aside. the HUDs for these tile based bodies consume a lot of VRAM .. so maybe don't leave them attached all the time.)

It is very much not a low lag mesh body.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Then what would you recommend, pray tell?

I don't wear the onion layers or go around with the HUD on.

Maitreya is still considered the lowest lag in terms of mesh vertices. Least "heavy" visually overall, even likely with said bounding issue mentioned(which i'd never heard of until now). I don't know the specifics but just BOM and you're generally pretty golden. Maitreya's script lag is pretty decently low too compared to most of the popular bodies.

• Like 1

@Avinami There is no objective BEST. Maitreya is the most popular both as a choice to wear and as a choice to make clothes for. But, it has a couple of technical flaws. I suspect most Maitreya users consider them trivial. However, the shoulders REALLY annoy me. So, I won't buy Maitreya.

There are visual and technical features that people weight differently when making their choice of body. I suggest you try the top 4 or 5 brands of body. Also visit some events and notice the bodies most supported by clothes designers. Then make your decision. If you change your mind later, not a big deal.

19 minutes ago, RitaCallisto said:

Maitreya is still considered the lowest lag in terms of mesh vertices. Least "heavy" visually overall

The triangle count is immaterial compared to the time the viewer has to spend processing the rigged attachment. It's the least impactful part of this whole mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If your body of choice doesn't offer a BoM only version, maybe it's time they did.

Any recommendations for a full-perm Alpha layer HUD/system? Unless you can replicate the functionality of alpha cuts, they're not going away.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.