Apple approves IOS version of the Second Life Mobile App

Daniel Voyager

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

During this month's Web User Group meeting Keira Linden mentioned that the iOS version has now been accepted by Apple. The lab are working on the first set of feature updates before it gets released on the Apple Store very soon. The Android version is still in development and won't be released until much later in the year/next year. 

* At the moment the iOS version is in the testing phrase with 40-50 users using it.

* There will be new dedicated "SL Mobile" regions soon which will be used for communications for those that use the app. Physical avatar presence within the regions won't be available or engaging in local chat. 

* Direct IMs will be possible and Group chat will be added very soon.  3D View is on the roadmap but it's way down the line. 

* Viewing Notecards / Inventory / Seeing who's in the region won't be available in the early days. 

* I think having a chat room/region is being looked into for those that want a few or so friends to hang out with. 

Over time more functionality will be added to the IOS version/Android version of the Second Life mobile app. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Well this is very motivation done by Linden for mobile user players. Just wish this will be more advance and better in future. 

But I am wondering if this is like other games for example IMVU game which I have playing which was like SL too using pc at early time and now they are at mobile platforms into appstore link. 

If the mobile is up, can we extract our account which we have been playing in pc and played it to mobile then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seniora Parkin said:

If the mobile is up, can we extract our account which we have been playing in pc and played it to mobile then. 

yes. We will be able to signin on our regular account with the mobile app and communicate with other users signed in on both mobile and pc

• Like 1

Just now, seniora Parkin said:

So this mobile, is not the full run play like in pc when you used to play.  Is more to chat and few things will implement first.. Is it right?.. 

yes this is correct. Is only a communication app at this time.  When we sign in with it then we can't see anything of the inworld, we can't go to our own land either. The app places us on a special region setup only for communication

i think Linden are just taking it one step at a time. Get the communication part working first then one day maybe extended it to fully inworld app able to run on a mobile device

• Like 2

I have been playing SL for more then 10 years but becoz of some personal problem in life's I cant used pc and only by mobile. I miss my SL but no choice I can't play it anymore, so alternative I have to played IMVU. Wish SL will be in mobile soon and could played as like in pc. That's why I am looking into this topic if there is any future for all mobile user for SL. 

4 minutes ago, seniora Parkin said:

I have been playing SL for more then 10 years but becoz of some personal problem in life's I cant used pc and only by mobile. I miss my SL but no choice I can't play it anymore

there is a TPV called Speedlight which can be used to play Second Life on a mobile device.  I don't know much about it myself tho, just that other people use it. I think also there is some kind of use fee, dunno how much tho

link here: https://speedlight.io/

• Like 1

Just now, Mollymews said:

there is a TPV called Speedlight which can be used to play Second Life on a mobile device.  I don't know much about it myself tho, just that other people use it. I think also there is some kind of use fee, dunno how much tho

link here: https://speedlight.io/

even I'll go out on a limb and recommend speedlight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try that link before, but still not really fully nice to play.  It's still on update and it's pay to install too anyway will wait SL mobile fully stable on mobile in future.  Anyway thanks all who reply me its nice to know on this topic and will keep checking time to time on any update or any news for mobile users. 

• Like 1

One…a single human….brought 3D view from SL into mobile. Lumiya. And yet 3D view is way down the road? There’s already apps for what they are doing. Include 3D view or scrap it. We don’t need another simple chat app.

Mobile Grid Client for Android already does what they are doing and probably does it better.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've probably joined the conversation too late, but why is no mention made of Radegast? It's on the Third Party Viewer page, and while it won't play on phones, it should play on mobile devices like Chromebook or iPad. 

Plus you can do all sorts of things with it, including rudimentary 3D.

17 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I've probably joined the conversation too late, but why is no mention made of Radegast? It's on the Third Party Viewer page, and while it won't play on phones, it should play on mobile devices like Chromebook or iPad. 

Plus you can do all sorts of things with it, including rudimentary 3D.

This post was to announce the IoS version,  a radegast thread can be made for that viewer if you want.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2021 at 7:43 AM, Daniel Voyager said:

Physical avatar presence within the regions won't be available or engaging in local chat

Think this is a mistake personally. I know people in my community who log in with their phone from time to time, and their physical presence is still appreciated even if we know they can't see us unless they enter the 3D view. For partners it can be a comfort thing too

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 5:56 AM, Extrude Ragu said:

Think this is a mistake personally. I know people in my community who log in with their phone from time to time, and their physical presence is still appreciated even if we know they can't see us unless they enter the 3D view. For partners it can be a comfort thing too

I suspect this is to prevent the mobile client being used to bot.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 3:02 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

I suspect this is to prevent the mobile client being used to bot.

I suspect his and maybe they figured they can cut some costs on aws having to send all the data?  but I've not got a clue what they pay, I'm sure it's a crap load less than my aws load.

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I suspect his and maybe they figured they can cut some costs on aws having to send all the data?  but I've not got a clue what they pay, I'm sure it's a crap load less than my aws load.

I have been told that AWS means "Argh!  What Shysters!", commonly shouted when receiving the invoice.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/11/2021 at 6:49 AM, Chris Nova said:

One…a single human….brought 3D view from SL into mobile. Lumiya. And yet 3D view is way down the road? There’s already apps for what they are doing. Include 3D view or scrap it. We don’t need another simple chat app.

Mobile Grid Client for Android already does what they are doing and probably does it better.

Totally agree! So much procrastination over the years only shows the total lack of interest  about it cause I very much doubt they're incompetent to do it though.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 944 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.