How Can I Full Optimize My Computer And/Or SL???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So heres my problem.

I have high speed internet, 160-180MBPS Download about 100-130 MBPS Upload. (I test it multiple times daily with and without devices on wifi, with and without SL running, this is accurate speed info)

My Computer Is:

HP-All-In-One 24-dd0010

AMD Athlon Silver 3050U with Radeon Graphics      2.30 GHz (Sometimes I wonder should I boost the clock??)

Dual-Core Threaded

8.00 GB  RAM (5.92 GB usable)

Now,

I have done the whole white list antivirus/firewall thing, (firestorm.exe slvoice , slplugin and the durnaham or whatever thing

My graphics settings are mid-way, of course advanced lightning is off.

I have bandwidth set to about 800 (regular is 500)

How can I further increase my FPS while in SL? How can I get more performance, Of course avatar complexity is big, so I watch that

And please do not tell me to derender bump or simple type..... you'll take away half of the grid.

You say your graphics are a mid.  What is your draw distance?  I keep mine around 56 unless I'm shooting landscapes.  Your LOD should be no higher than 2 if even that.  Just try those 2 things and see if there's an appreciable difference. 

Others will have some.more technical advice.

@Rowan Amore Yes Draw distance is always a huge factor, I keep mines between 100-200... I fly throughout sims (aviation) in SL. But yes, Draw distance always helps. Load stays at 2.

However the funny thing is, when I scoot the draw distance all the way up to 1024 (im still able to pull about 6-10 FPS) so I feel like at 100-200m of Draw Distance I should Always have good FPS lol

41 minutes ago, Rico Roizman said:

@Rowan Amore Yes Draw distance is always a huge factor, I keep mines between 100-200... I fly throughout sims (aviation) in SL. But yes, Draw distance always helps. Load stays at 2.

However the funny thing is, when I scoot the draw distance all the way up to 1024 (im still able to pull about 6-10 FPS) so I feel like at 100-200m of Draw Distance I should Always have good FPS lol

Having your draw that high and getting good fps will always depend on where you are and what is around you.  You can take a look at this blog for more ways to improve you frame rates and  overall performance.

Graphics Tweaking for Second Life | Nalates' Things & StuffNalates’ Things & Stuff

It blows my mind that people with integrated graphics wonder why they have a hard time in SL...The fact is your computer is too slow to run it even at low settings. You will never increase your fps or your performance. I know youre not gonna want to hear it but thats the truth. Any system with integrated graphics is going to be sub-par and struggle even at low settings. All-in-Ones are generally crap, anyways.

Edited by Chris Nova
  • Like 2

increase you FPS - where? Every sim you go to will change - some run well, others don't. Then start adding other avies into the mix.. but in general keep shaders off and especially shadows. Keep draw distance low. And, make sure your all in one is cleaned frequently to keep dust from building up - heat is a performance killer

But to make you feel better, I have a i7, 10700k, 32 gig ram, all SSD drives, a GTx 1080 and if I have 'everything on' on some sims, maybe ill get 10 or 15 fps. other sims 50+ crowded sims, rarely over 15fps. SL is what it is no matter how big and bad your computer may be

On 7/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, Rico Roizman said:

I have bandwidth set to about 800 (regular is 500)

That slider is misnamed .. and should probably be removed.

It has no impact on the speed the client attempts to fetch assets (textures etc) from the servers, those download just as fast as they can.

SL uses UDP traffic for certain time sensitive information (eg, avatar position), if your client fails to catch these packets (or they fail to arrive in order), then they are thrown away and never sent again - this is packet loss.

A lower bandwidth setting (and it can be very low and not break SL) makes sure you don't miss any data. Packet loss can cause a lot of weirdness and there is no acceptable amount.

Open the stats floater SHIFT+CTRL+1 and if you have anything other then 0.0% packet loss, lower this slider.

How can I further increase my FPS while in SL? How can I get more performance, Of course avatar complexity is big, so I watch that

Be patient.

Set your cache folder as large as you can spare.

SL is CPU bound. There is a ton of data to be processed by the client before it ever gets to your screen. While this is happening, your CPU isn't telling your graphics to render frames.

Reducing your draw distance can have a massive impact on how much the viewer needs to download and process before it can settle. Changing your draw distance makes the viewer throw everything out and start again, don't do this. Set it low and leave it low.

Don't immediately start camming about when entering a new location, that just bogs the download/process queue and makes it take even longer. Waking about is better than camming if you are suffering performance issues.

Stop watching the numbers, watching the numbers doesn't make the numbers better, if anything it can make borderline performance feel much worse than it actually is.

Don't minimize or switch to another application when waiting for SL to load content, this cuts the amount of CPU time SL uses and makes everything take longer.

Be patient.

And please do not tell me to derender bump or simple type..... you'll take away half of the grid.

Processing animated rigged avatar attachments is very CPU intensive, when your CPU is doing that, it's not processing texture data or rendering frames. Disabling avatars, especially unless necessary can have a huge impact on performance. The actual mesh complexity is secondary to this.

SL water is similarly CPU heavy and will reduce performance even when you can't see it. Switching that off can provide a disproportionate boost especially on weaker hardware.

My Computer Is:

HP-All-In-One 24-dd0010

AMD Athlon Silver 3050U with Radeon Graphics      2.30 GHz (Sometimes I wonder should I boost the clock??)

Dual-Core Threaded

8.00 GB  RAM (5.92 GB usable)

Your computer is feeble. Sorry, it is what it is.

You have very little ram, Windows can happily consume a full 8GB all by itself and will be running in low memory mode and leaning on the disk to swap stuff in and out. Your ram is also shared with the graphics, which is very slow. 8GB usable is barely acceptable, 16GB is a more realistic target.

SL tends to want a 1GB just to get out of bed and can consume much more, number of avatars in a scene can push this up well beyond the total system memory on your machine.

Avoid running other applications at the same time as SL, close everything that isn't necessary (especially browsers and chat apps like discord).

It boosts the clock for you when it's able to.

It looks like that PC ships with one 8GB memory module with an empty slot for a second one. If that's the case with yours, and you're comfortable doing the upgrade, I'd put a second memory module in it. More memory will help, and it'll be running in dual channel mode which is a little faster. It won't make it great, but it'll be slightly less crappy.

3 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

It boosts the clock for you when it's able to.

It looks like that PC ships with one 8GB memory module with an empty slot for a second one. If that's the case with yours, and you're comfortable doing the upgrade, I'd put a second memory module in it. More memory will help, and it'll be running in dual channel mode which is a little faster. It won't make it great, but it'll be slightly less crappy.

an additional 8GB of usable memory would make the whole machine generally more usable

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With that computer your graphics settings should be at low or one above low. If you "must" stay at mid turn your max # of non avatar imposters to 4 or less. Mid defaults at 16. It wont look as pretty since only the closest 4 avatars will be rendered and the rest will be 2d. That will improve your fps a bit. I know you paid good hard earned cash for that computer but running SL on that is like having a Hyundai Accent pull a two ton trailer. It might work when your on a level surface but once the grade increases it will just halt (and probably die but your comp wont it will just sputter and freeze). Wish I had better news for you. 

You could also install Linux. It will have better SL performance than Windows. There will be a steep learning curve though to familiarize yourself with that OS.

I have a wicked fast Internet connection (as in, I am always DLing at 1024Mbps or higher) and a PC rig with a loaded 3070 video card, 32GB RAM, and a i7 10700. Draw range 128 or 256 depending on where I am. I have one setting short of Ultra on a widescreen 4K UHD monitor (3560 wide or something like that). My frame rates varies from 80 down to 15 depending on how crowded the parcel is. That popular Blues place for example makes my rig crawl. You integrated graphics card and lower end CPU are not going to handle SL well, sadly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.