The Linden home thing

AnnHerrick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Oh sweetie I have been away from SL for so long I have no clue what you are talking about, and now I have a house to decorate so I'm really buried in it all now.

Depending on what browser you're using, you can make it so that when you click those "visit this location" buttons it will automatically open in the Second Life viewer of your choice :)

3 minutes ago, Storii Darkheart said:

Depending on what browser you're using, you can make it so that when you click those "visit this location" buttons it will automatically open in the Second Life viewer of your choice :)

Okay, thank you but now I am trying to change the size of a huge Maxfield Parish panting, and I forgot how to edit things. I'm going to be kept really busy. I cannot get the size thing in the edit window to work. Argh!

Edited by AnnHerrick

@AnnHerrick Welcome back to SL ! One major thing that was not mentioned is that you will be fine with a prim limit in either or, of course smaller lot, smaller house and bigger house, bigger lot vice versa etc.

You will have to buy new furnishings, its worth it. Alot cheaper, (I know you spent alot on furniture back in the day, we all did).

Yet, with the evolution of MESH, you get a better detailed product with a lot less prims, simply speaking.

As you have seen already probably is Land Impact, items,objects,attachments we no longer really refer to as prims. Prims exist, but less commonly used now.

36 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Thank you Rolig! It's a rather grand looking Victorian in a very nice neighborhood, and now I have to start decorating. I still have all the furnishings from the last house, but this is going to take some serious time. At least I won't be bored.

Definitely not. :) Now, before you get confused again, please do scroll back up the find that Knowledge Base article that I referenced in a post for you yesterday.  Read the whole thing. 

Then, go out your front door and walk to your mailbox.  Click on it to get the information notecard and your Content Pack (which contains all sorts of goodies that you will not have to build/buy for yourself). Read that notecard carefully so that you know how to handle the mailbox controls and the Control Panel in the house itself. 

Finally, but just as important: Click the World menu at the top of your screen and then select About Land (or Parcel Details, if that's what your viewer calls it) and open the Covenant tab.  Read the covenant completely.  It is not the same as the covenant for your old Linden Home.  It is important to know how you are allowed to use your land, what sorts of decorations will be considered out of theme, and what you are allowed to do with a security system (I really recommend taking the easy route and using the free Security System that is included with the stuff in your mailbox.  Doing that instead of buying a commercial security orb will save you a lot of grief -- or you can just forget about using a security system.  ;) )

Oh, and really final .... start watching the Linden Homes forum occasionally.  Most of the common questions anyone has ever asked were discussed in threads there.  If you can't find an answer, just ask there.  Also, that forum is one of the best ways to keep up to date with changes and new features/themes as the moles continue working on Bellisseria.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

Oh sweetie I have been away from SL for so long I have no clue what you are talking about, and now I have a house to decorate so I'm really buried in it all now.

Well, once you become unburied, you can do what I suggested at the start of this thread:   Install the SL Viewer, but do NOT run it.  Then restart Firestorm and Firefox and slurl links from your browser will show up in Firestorm.  

If you were able to install Firestorm, you can install the latest SL viewer. Same amount of effort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Well, once you become unburied, you can do what I suggested at the start of this thread:   Install the SL Viewer, but do NOT run it.  Then restart Firestorm and Firefox and slurl links from your browser will show up in Firestorm.  

If you were able to install Firestorm, you can install the latest SL viewer. Same amount of effort.

Okay, got it,  and thank you.

17 hours ago, Rico Roizman said:

@AnnHerrick Welcome back to SL ! One major thing that was not mentioned is that you will be fine with a prim limit in either or, of course smaller lot, smaller house and bigger house, bigger lot vice versa etc.

You will have to buy new furnishings, its worth it. Alot cheaper, (I know you spent alot on furniture back in the day, we all did).

Yet, with the evolution of MESH, you get a better detailed product with a lot less prims, simply speaking.

As you have seen already probably is Land Impact, items,objects,attachments we no longer really refer to as prims. Prims exist, but less commonly used now.

Well all my old furniture seems to be working just fine and I'm pretty happy with it.

38 minutes ago, AnnHerrick said:

Well all my old furniture seems to be working just fine and I'm pretty happy with it.

I think they meant so old furniture that it's prim heavy, before we had mesh. Then you run into the 351 Li limit fast.

But if you, as somebody else posted, has been gone from SL only 1-2 years, you already have mesh furniture.

8 hours ago, AnnHerrick said:

If you don't like the home you are in, you can abandon it and get another one. The Bellisseria homes come up pretty frequently but you may have to keep refreshing the page. In one session, you can abandon up to five times. 

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

If you don't like the home you are in, you can abandon it and get another one. The Bellisseria homes come up pretty frequently but you may have to keep refreshing the page. In one session, you can abandon up to five times. 

5 times in 24 hours. It's easy to burn through them in a few minutes when you keep rolling the same crappy one over and over again.  I try to avoid re-rolling for the same house type on the same day, I'll try different types, or wait until another day, unless it's a new release with a lot of availability.

I wish they'd not count duplicate rolls of the same parcel in that 5. Or remove that parcel from your availability for 24 hours - in which case if that type also disappears, you'd know it's the only one currently in circulation.

• Like 3

I thought I'd like to play game of homes again since I have a premium alt that hasn't claimed hers yet and I went looking for that thread "When did you last see a Bellessarian home available?" and found that it had been locked back in April.  What do people do now?

1 minute ago, kali Wylder said:

I thought I'd like to play game of homes again since I have a premium alt that hasn't claimed hers yet and I went looking for that thread "When did you last see a Bellessarian home available?" and found that it had been locked back in April.  What do people do now?

Didn't someone start a new one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's at a point where threads aren't very helpful anyway. There are pretty much always new houses there for you to claim and region releases aren't always noticed as they slip in with the rest of the available houses. Just keep checking the page until the house style you want appears.

• Like 3

The last time I played GoH the Log Cabins had just come out.  So I've yet to decorate a stilt home or a chalet.  I still have my trad in SweetMarsh that I adore.  I'd like to at least get the content creation packs for all the models.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2021 at 10:23 AM, AnnHerrick said:

Well the map appears alright, but when I click on 'visit this location" nothing appears in my viewer.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet Ann. but you can always just paste the surl into local and click direct that way too. Also there is something in the Bellisseria Citizens group called the "Parade of Homes". Which is a collection of homes owned by Belli residents who have opened them to the public! So you can zip around and get a feel for how things look and the many styles of decor you can dream up! 

🐹

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, Karly Kiyori said:

5 times in 24 hours. It's easy to burn through them in a few minutes when you keep rolling the same crappy one over and over again.  I try to avoid re-rolling for the same house type on the same day, I'll try different types, or wait until another day, unless it's a new release with a lot of availability.

I wish they'd not count duplicate rolls of the same parcel in that 5. Or remove that parcel from your availability for 24 hours - in which case if that type also disappears, you'd know it's the only one currently in circulation.

Agree.  Getting the same house again and again, and having that count towards your five for the session is a pain.  Only way to avoid this is not choose same house type that session, or take a risk by leaving it for a few hours before selecting same house type.  But that does mean you still risk getting the same house from earlier.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

Agree.  Getting the same house again and again, and having that count towards your five for the session is a pain.  Only way to avoid this is not choose same house type that session, or take a risk by leaving it for a few hours before selecting same house type.  But that does mean you still risk getting the same house from earlier.

Or…

When you abandon a house, you can loiter and wait to see when it gets assigned to someone else and then select another of that theme from the house page. Sure, there may not be any available, or you may have to wait a while, but no one ever said that the Game of Homes would be easy. After all, it’s not what the system was designed for.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sister Nova said:

Or…

When you abandon a house, you can loiter and wait to see when it gets assigned to someone else and then select another of that theme from the house page. Sure, there may not be any available, or you may have to wait a while, but no one ever said that the Game of Homes would be easy. After all, it’s not what the system was designed for.

...perhaps...although if the system allows 5 changes in 24hrs...then some kind of 'design' thought must have gone into that process.  And therefore as part of whoever in Linden Labs 'designed' a system that allows 5 changes in 24hrs, would have (hopefully) presumed/realised those people who use those five changes aren't going to want keep selecting the same house five times in a row?  So perhaps there is 'design' to the system, but it's 'flawed' in some way #DesignFlaw.  But just not enough of a priority or issue for most users for it to be worth their effort in re-designing the  'five dice rolls a day' system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrishSummers said:

...perhaps...although if the system allows 5 changes in 24hrs...then some kind of 'design' thought must have gone into that process.  And therefore as part of whoever in Linden Labs 'designed' a system that allows 5 changes in 24hrs, would have (hopefully) presumed/realised those people who use those five changes aren't going to want keep selecting the same house five times in a row?  So perhaps there is 'design' to the system, but it's 'flawed' in some way #DesignFlaw.  But just not enough of a priority or issue for most users for it to be worth their effort in re-designing the  'five dice rolls a day' system.

On the other hand, there are those who would prefer any home to no home, and being allowed to reroll your recent abandons allows for that.  When it happens, it is often an indication that the queue for your chosen theme is almost empty, and you should either keep what you keep rolling, or be content with nothing for the time being.    

• Like 7

5 hours ago, rawberryla said:

How do we know when a region will be released?

We watch.  When it's released, we can go there.  Anything before that is pure guesswork.  I suspect that even the moles and Lindens who work on Bellisseria don't know until the last few minutes when a region will be released.  They probably schedule these things, but there is a lot of cleanup and testing to be done, so a schedule is just a rough target.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.