Laptop Recommendations for SL Creator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

This question is really aimed at the creators of SL, but I am happy for answers from everyone! 

After many years I am hoping to return to SL having logged in briefly on my MacBook Pro and developing ‘the bug’ again. Long story short, I have now returned that MBP and would like a gaming laptop. 

I know that desktop PCs are preferable for SL and would be optimum for someone who is a creator using software such as Maya and Photoshop. Despite this, I enjoy the portability of a laptop and I wouldn’t be spending time in heavily populated SL locations, nor would I want it on high settings unless I was taking photos for products. 

I have budget of 1000-1500 and would be grateful if anyone could recommend me a laptop that would suit my needs. I would combine this with a cooling pad and a mouse. 

Also I know this question has been asked many times - but I haven’t seen one in 2021! 

Thank you

River

Edited by River Ogleby

With the global chip shortage going on right now this is a very bad time to be buying a computer. So if you see something that looks interesting, in your budget and available buy it. Next time you look it will be sold out. Best though would be to wait at least one year when computers will hopefully go back down to MSRP and actually be available to purchase. You wont find any deals right now even if it fell off the back of a truck. Everything is selling way over MSRP right now.

Other than that. Look for something with a discrete GPU from Nvidia or AMD (no Intel graphics!). CPU wise Intel i5, i7, i9 (stay away from i3) or AMD Ryzen. At least 16 GB ram. Anything more than that is a bonus. 

Happy shopping! :)

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your responses! 

I will definitely take everything said into consideration. I just hope a laptop is sufficient enough. Though to be honest in SL I am quite boring and spend most time with people in skyboxes, so lag is only ever an issue if I go shopping or I need to take pictures with really high settings. 

OR - this is a bit more expensive and is refurbished

ASUS ROG Zephyrus S 15.6" Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-9750H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD

• Intel Core i7 9th Gen. Processor
  • 15.6 in Screen Size , 1920 x 1080
  • 32 GB RAM , 1 TB SSD 
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU
  • Windows 10
Edited by River Ogleby

3 hours ago, River Ogleby said:

That’s a good point!

Do you think the specs of the Lenovo would be good enough for the programmes I mentioned?

Thanks

Maya won't be upset over the 3070 that's for sure .. blender wont be either .. actually .. using blender pays for the laptop.

fF7vKYm.png

• Thanks 1

Well, I haven’t used Maya for years and I have had experience using Blender - so I may just use that over Maya! I just haven’t made hair in Blender, but I’m sure it won’t take me too long to learn! The interface is less intimidating too. 

So the 3070 is the one! Thanks for your help. Looking forward to experiencing SL with a little less (or a lot less) lag than I did when I logged in using the MBP!

2 hours ago, River Ogleby said:

Well, I haven’t used Maya for years and I have had experience using Blender - so I may just use that over Maya! I just haven’t made hair in Blender, but I’m sure it won’t take me too long to learn! The interface is less intimidating too. 

So the 3070 is the one! Thanks for your help. Looking forward to experiencing SL with a little less (or a lot less) lag than I did when I logged in using the MBP!

The new blender is fantastic.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 6:14 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

as much gfx card as you can get

So, consider this... I have a ROG Strix SCAR II Gaming Laptop purchased in October, 2018.

The graphics is NVidia GTX 1060, which is  modest compared to 2021 GPUs. However, it works great in Second Life... maximum frame rates in common conditions. I usually stay in High+ graphics but use Ultra for photography and forget to reset it back to High+.  Recently this laptop failed to power up and is currently "in the shop". I am temporarily using an ancient Lenovo running a GeForce GT 555M/PCIe/SSE2 that burns your leg. It gets15 FPS at Mid+ graphics but slows considerably when in a crowd.

If the repair cost of ROG seems excessive, I may choose to ditch it and buy 2021 technology.

The question. if you google gaming laptops under $2000, you will see alot of Intel RTX 2xxx and RTX 3xxx machines as well as AMD based laptops . Is it possible that some of these are actually overpowered? Does anyone know of a study that compares what viewers are asking the GPU to do compared to what the GPU can do?

I realize that this requires assumptions about number or triangles and other 3D graphics parameters :)

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

The question. if you google gaming laptops under $2000, you will see alot of Intel RTX 2xxx and RTX 3xxx machines as well as AMD based laptops . Is it possible that some of these are actually overpowered? Does anyone know of a study that compares what viewers are asking the GPU to do compared to what the GPU can do?

There is no such thing as having too much power. However power vs price is not linear. If you are looking for value do not look at the highest end machines. If you want the most possible fps SL can give in laptop Origin has some fabulous choices in the $5,000 usd range. https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/new-eon17-x/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.