the telepathy thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

So either ESP means there's something wrong with our understanding of the way the universe works and someone should contact CERN immediately or, alternatively, there's something wrong with either the data or our understanding of it

What we presently know at any given time is never the complete truth, is how I see it. A bigger picture always evolves, sometimes tossing out major aspects of the old while sometimes simply modifying what was previously thought to be the whole truth.

28 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm not going to waste my time on someone I already know isn't going to listen.

Then simply don't  reply. No waste of your time then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:
34 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm not going to waste my time on someone I already know isn't going to listen.

Then simply don't  reply. No waste of your time then.

Insulting me is not a waste of time for her, it's like the main course!  lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Insulting me is not a waste of time for her, it's like the main course!  lol

This is why my inworld friends are so disgusted by the forums.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Wow!  That's the same colour as both the mug from which I'm drinking coffee at this very moment!   And it's the same colour as my jeans.

Spooky.

(Though the coffee isn't Blue Mountain, so maybe not).

I must  have a psychic connection with you lol!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

For ESP to work, something has to be capable of causing electrochemical reactions in my brain, thus triggering neural activity so that I form an impression of whatever it is that's being communicated to me.

So either ESP means there's something wrong with our understanding of the way the universe works and someone should contact CERN immediately or, alternatively, there's something wrong with either the data or our understanding of it, and my friend William of Occam (who doesn't mind my borrowing his razor so long as I clean it after use) tells me the latter is rather more likely.   

Well, we've already been surprised in other ways. Reality is weird, and our biology evolved to exist in this reality and totally exploit physics in ways researchers may never completely know (given all the extinctions, if nothing else). The way things have been, it wouldn't surprise me if every animal that does anything even remotely spoopy might just die out under mankind's attentive stewardship.

Magnetoreception is a sense which allows an organism to detect a magnetic field to perceive direction, altitude or location. Experimental data suggests that cryptochromes in the photoreceptor neurons of birds' eyes are involved in magnetic orientation during migration.[46] Cryptochromes are also thought to be essential for the light-dependent ability of Drosophila to sense magnetic fields.[47] Magnetic fields were once reported to affect cryptochromes also in Arabidopsis thaliana plants: growth behavior seemed to be affected by magnetic fields in the presence of blue (but not red) light.[48] Nevertheless, these results have later turned out to be irreproducible under strictly controlled conditions in another laboratory,[49] suggesting that plant cryptochromes do not respond to magnetic fields.

Magnetoreception is hypothesized to function through the surrounding magnetic field's effect on the correlation (parallel or anti-parallel) of these radicals, which affects the lifetime of the activated form of cryptochrome. Activation of cryptochrome may affect the light-sensitivity of retinal neurons, with the overall result that the animal can sense the magnetic field.[53] Animal cryptochromes and closely related animal (6-4) photolyases contain a longer chain of electron-transferring tryptophans than other proteins of the cryptochrome-photolyase superfamily (a tryptophan tetrad instead of a triad).[54][55] The longer chain leads to a better separation and over 1000× longer lifetimes of the photoinduced flavin-tryptophan radical pairs than in proteins with a triad of tryptophans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptochrome#Magnetoreception

see also: https://gizmodo.com/birds-use-quantum-mechanics-to-see-magnetic-fields-new-1847159559

There are other known example of quantum phenomena interacting with our neurology, something about quantum spin in Lithium. If we can detect and produce quantum phenomena as a matter of biology that can be harnessed evolutionarily, well, let's consider social species carefully because, sure, we have cues, facial, gestural, aural, etc. But that's not to say this is the whole spectrum. Maybe someone who hasn't developed their innate telepathy has trouble in social situations, or they can't seem to learn from others well; they may seem to do better on their own.

It seems more than very possible that this thing is just right out there in open sight and everyone is thinking about everything incorrectly because confusion has been perpetuated intentionally by those who knew better for such a long time. People who are charismatic and magnetic or give you the wrong vibe from across the room may really be something you noticed with extrasensory perception, assuming you did. We might tell ourselves we're just clever, or we intuited it all along, but maybe we had invisible lines connecting all the dots. We're just perceptive like that when we try?

Edited by Chroma Starlight

So what is the conspiracy theory du jour that keeps telepathy from becoming mainstream again?

Was it the CIA? The GRU? The Illuminati? The Department of Men who Stare at Goats?

Brb, someone's knocking at the door.

[Update] I'm still here. The Church of 'It Only Works When No One Else Is Looking' came by for a donation.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

10 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The Department of 'It Only Works When No One Else Is Looking' was looking for sponsors.

That's right down the hall from the Department of "It Always Starts Working When the Service Technician Arrives". Both departments are housed in the Murphy Building...

3427978_web1_vnd-murphybuilding3-062320.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Well, we've already been surprised in other ways. Reality is weird, and our biology evolved to exist in this reality and totally exploit physics in ways researchers may never completely know (given all the extinctions, if nothing else). The way things have been, it wouldn't surprise me if every animal that does anything even remotely spoopy might just die out under mankind's attentive stewardship.

There are other known example of quantum phenomena interacting with our neurology, something about quantum spin in Lithium. If we can detect and produce quantum phenomena as a matter of biology that can be harnessed evolutionarily, well, let's consider social species carefully because, sure, we have cues, facial, gestural, aural, etc. But that's not to say this is the whole spectrum. Maybe someone who hasn't developed their innate telepathy has trouble in social situations, or they can't seem to learn from others well; they may seem to do better on their own.

It seems more than very possible that this thing is just right out there in open sight and everyone is thinking about everything incorrectly because confusion has been perpetuated intentionally by those who knew better for such a long time. People who are charismatic and magnetic or give you the wrong vibe from across the room may really be something you noticed with extrasensory perception, assuming you did. We might tell ourselves we're just clever, or we intuited it all along, but maybe we had invisible lines connecting all the dots. We're just perceptive like that when we try?

We subconsciously comprehend things before we can consciously asses them. The person across the room is an example of that. It's based on our past experiences.  I'm not discounting  your propositions of telepathy  or psychic phenomena.  The possibility is not 0.  But,  I am skeptical.

Edited by Bagnu

7 minutes ago, BiliEyelash said:

No just psycho.

Takes one to know one!!! Smirking as I stick my tongue out at you!!!  Oops, that last part should have been in private.

Edited by Bagnu

There is a lot about the way the mind works we do not understand (trying to be good ang get back on topic) Take for example, flatworms.

Flatworms can be taught.

Flatworms will grow a new head and brain if you cut it's head off.

If you teach a flatworm something, then cut off it's head, it will still know what you taught it when the new head and brain grows back.

Not completely on topic but it shows that knowing is more complicated than some electrical charges in a brain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep, I've read Incognito. I'll read the article you linked and put "Noise" on my reading list.

I think you might like this Podcast... https://hiddenbrain.org/

I'm a fangirl of the host, Shankar Vedanten. His voice just drips curiosity. His podcast was inspired by... Daniel Kahneman.

I listen weekly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BiliEyelash said:

There is a lot about the way the mind works we do not understand (trying to be good ang get back on topic) Take for example, flatworms.

Flatworms can be taught.

Flatworms will grow a new head and brain if you cut it's head off.

If you teach a flatworm something, then cut off it's head, it will still know what you taught it when the new head and brain grows back.

Not completely on topic but it shows that knowing is more complicated than some electrical charges in a brain.

Yes. And our spinal cords also store memory. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/21/health/no-dullard-spinal-cord-proves-it-can-learn.html

2 hours ago, Bagnu said:

We subconsciously comprehend things before we can consciously asses them.

Okay. I mean, yes but that's a specific statement about "subconscious" "comprehension". But subconscious just means you haven't noticed. Isn't comprehension just the process by which a pattern is resolved to some meaning? And can't we say that what people are or are not conscious of is a matter of all sorts of factors ranging from their culture and conditioning to their relationship with internal fear to their state of restfulness? This is a vast domain of possibility already.

How well do they know themselves? Are they really in the 'now,' the present moment, which is to say are they awake rather than preoccupied with something? It's not an on-and-off thing, you can be conscious of one thing and completely unaware of another at the same moment. All this can be shaped by how you've been conditioned to react and feel, and not all your reactions and feelings may be entirely naturally sound, no fault of your own, your host culture's ideas about certain things may simply be off-kilter somehow in a few strategic areas or maybe your mom botched a suicide and then returned to your life forever changed and proceeded to abuse you in a metaphorical cabin in the woods when you were ages 9-11, even as your Doctor Father was too busy or self-absorbed or invested in his practice to see these things that she was doing to his five children, now in her custody, seemingly only to prove to him and the universe what a terrible human being his kind must be. These things are known to happen and too rarely are addressed by social services or medicine in a few western nations that seem so artificially to be trailing the world in their understanding of how things ought to work according to their imperious and unsound preferences and opinions about the mind, soul, and psyche.

Sometimes conscious awareness of something creeps up on you slowly until it becomes so intrusive that you can't ignore it any longer. Personally, I don't assess things often, it's not about me or my ego's role in it. I'll let the hardware work out the aesthetic details. An assessment is sort of a  comparative judgement, but that's not what I'm going for when I'm approaching life to explore possibility co-creatively.

Edited by Chroma Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.