the telepathy thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Speaketh your mind, Rat Luv!  I will protect you from these evil proponents of SCIENTISM !!!!!!!!!!

Oh I don't mind really but my posts were silly. I suppose deep down I don't believe in it (or I'd be using my psychic abilities to brainwash my boss into giving me less work and more pay 🤑) but I like the idea of it.

Just thought this thread was a relief after a few other 'heated' threads, didn't see a reason to go all 'muh labcoat' about it :( I guessed red and purple by the way :$

• Like 2

I know a professionally on stage used routine, that flirts with telepathy.
Very nice to get a dull party to the next level. Always works, no preparation needed. Just one person who knows the routine too.
And it really looks like something magical is happening right in front of your eyes.
But it sadly it is only make believe with a pinch of black magic (being the abracadabra of the performer).
Like all the other telepathy bogus.

David Copperfield can't really fly or let the Statue of Liberty disappear either.
Welcome to the land of make belief.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I know a professionally on stage used routine, that flirts with telepathy.
Very nice to get a dull party to the next level. Always works, no preparation needed. Just one person who knows the routine too.
And it really looks like something magical is happening right in front of your eyes.
But it sadly it is only make believe with a pinch of black magic (being the abracadabra of the performer).
Like all the other telepathy bogus.

David Copperfield can't really fly or let the Statue of Liberty disappear either.
Welcome to the land of make belief.

Years ago the Sun's then editor Kelvin McKenzie sacked the paper's resident astrologer for recycling old horoscopes with a memo beginning, "As you will doubtless have foreseen, ...".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

There will always be those who exploit anything they can find profit in, and this truth is no less evident in the charlatans who exploit spirituality for their own gain. But distorters of truth related to any facet of our existence is not proof of its falsehood, but only proof that the exploiters are false.

Telepathy, psychic experiences, astrologers, and seances aside, this is really about the fundamental nature of reality and whether the universe is connected in ways we don't typically experience with our predominately materialistic outlook of the present.  

"Finally, the human mind faces its own nature. By extending the information-theoretic paradigm, the informational nature of consciousness is uncovered. This gives rise to the very first formal description of consciousness. In attempts to bridge the chasm between the objective and subjective, scientists and philosophers have opened up to the unspeakable. The nature of consciousness, as has been suggested by ancient Eastern and shamanic traditions, is necessarily universal and primal. The notion of spirituality is creeping back into science. Moving towards a more empirical analysis, the enigma of intelligence is discussed, arising in decentralized systems and even in inanimate structures. Then, the surprising therapeutic effects of psychedelics is discovered, next to a myriad of transcendental planes of being, accessible to pure consciousness. Moreover, peer-reviewed studies are appearing in the physics literature describing mind-matter interactions in double-slit quantum experiments—a long suspected connection by many pioneers of quantum mechanics. As the cracks in the current edifice of science continually grow, the new information-theoretic paradigm is embraced. Beginning with an information ontology, a radical participatory ontology is hinted at. In essence, the human mind is witnessing the most radical paradigm shift in its own history. The well-served and previously glorious materialistic and reductionistic scientific worldview is yielding to a novel scientific conception of subjective consciousness and objective reality—and their unexpected intimate kinship."

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-03633-1_14

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

but I like the idea of it

No you don't. If it was real we would have ... 

Psychic advertising & influencers, thought police & thought crime, remote subliminal coercion, dream direction, mind r***, mind theft, other people's earworms, religious cults & fanaticism, psycorps, actual tin foil hats and not a moment's peace in any of it.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 6:19 PM, Rat Luv said:

Me and a friend used to do the zener symbols test but it never worked...except for one evening at someone's house when a few other people were around, and we both suddenly got every single guess correct, all evening :o

It was brilliant, everyone thought we actually had telepathic powers B| I started wondering too! But the next time we tried it, we got 0 out of 20, lol. 

If anyone had it on SL, they could make a fortune as an alt detector 🙂

Not to mention some serious coin to be made as a catfish buster sniffing out gender differences between an avie and their typist. ;) 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Dad took Pascal's Wager. I don't think I can. I don't imagine a god I believe in because Pascal said "it couldn't hurt" would appreciate that kind of nonchalance.

I'd wager there are many who "believed" for a lot less than that but in the final analysis it is not so much about why one came but why one stayed.

I experienced what is sometimes called "twin telepathy" with my now deceased identical twin. I don't believe there is any scientific evidence that telepathy between twins exists, but talk to twins, especially identical ones, and many of them will be able to tell you stories about such things as knowing or sharing what their twin is feeling when they aren't present. And of course, I experienced the typical twin stuff like finishing each other's sentences, and buying each other the same gifts every birthday. Whether as the result of a close relationship or something else, it's certainly interesting.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I experienced what is sometimes called "twin telepathy" with my now deceased identical twin. I don't believe there is any scientific evidence that telepathy between twins exists, but talk to twins, especially identical ones, and many of them will be able to tell you stories about such things as knowing or sharing what their twin is feeling when they aren't present. And of course, I experienced the typical twin stuff like finishing each other's sentences, and buying each other the same gifts every birthday. Whether as the result of a close relationship or something else, it's certainly interesting.

I don't discount that. But I am highly skeptical of "pure" telepathy in the sense of being able to read someones thoughts. And hypothetically, if someone could, they would likely never admit it. 

8 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Not to mention some serious coin to be made as a catfish buster sniffing out gender differences between an avie and their typist. ;) 

Or whether a DJ is using an alt to host 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I've heard this! Also, I think there was some case where twin brothers were separated at birth and they finally met up, and each one had picked a similar career, and dressed the same, and their wives even looked really similar...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

No you don't. If it was real we would have ... 

Psychic advertising & influencers, thought police & thought crime, remote subliminal coercion, dream direction, mind r***, mind theft, other people's earworms, religious cults & fanaticism, psycorps, actual tin foil hats and not a moment's peace in any of it.

Sounds like that new Tom Holland movie

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I've heard this! Also, I think there was some case where twin brothers were separated at birth and they finally met up, and each one had picked a similar career, and dressed the same, and their wives even looked really similar...

That isn't telepathic. It relates to the nature vs. nurture debate.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

This article from 2017, in which a respected researcher hosed his career by proving ESP works.

(Hint:  Replication is really, really important.)   

https://slate.com/health-and-science/2017/06/daryl-bem-proved-esp-is-real-showed-science-is-broken.html

I had to read half the article before realizing I'd read it before. My mind is going, Innula.

I wish I'd noticed Daniel Kahneman's name in the story, so I didn't have to wait for @Pamela Gallito introduce me to his book "Thinking Fast and Slow".

I recently read a debunking of the Dunning-Kruger effect, which I was happy to use for looking down my nose at people. Now I have to work harder to prop myself up on a pedestal, dammit.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking/dunning-kruger-effect-probably-not-real

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.