things we should have for second life

Nyla2k

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Ellie4024 said:

Okaaaay.... These are all interesting ideas, but I think that sea serpents aren't really related to how new folks (or old, don't have to be new) can make some passive, albeit small amount of linden$.... 😏

But how can you go fishing without fish to catch. Not fake ones you put there but real ones, natural ones that work in mysterious ways according to their own logic. 

10323051_FlyingFish8rezzer.thumb.png.ccec1efbdb2e554b26e105440aa00465.png

Birds. We need birds that fly around, do their thing, roost, build bird nests where they oughtn't, sing. People can feed them and see what happens. There are a few exceptionally rare birds, can you spot them all? 

While you're at it, we need bats, they were so commonplace when SL started, now they're a memory. And how about other things that come out only at night? Maybe you can spot the eyes of ground critters off in the distance as they go about their business. Oh, and day or night you should expect snakes, big and small.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

And how exactly will that be implemented to help new people earn Lindens?  Maybe you should try and stay on topic.  For once.  Please.

Wildlife minigames! Or they're paid for dwell if their build has lots of the new Linden Trees and the birds like it, this having the obvious benefit of more beautiful build trends across the grid and more eggs for adventurous sneks. 

How about this idea. Create a game which new residents can learn easily and play. Like running through a maze. Then create a betting system where the audience of residents can place bets on first place. This type of gambling would be allowed because the outcome is skill based. The audience gets to gamble and cheer on the runners. The new residents get to win a piece of the betting pool.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Wildlife minigames! Or they're paid for dwell if their build has lots of the new Linden Trees and the birds like it, this having the obvious benefit of more beautiful build trends across the grid and more eggs for adventurous sneks. 

A newbie asking for ways of free L and you make plans for people having an own place to place some weird kinda trees on it? I think you are online in SL too much when you have forgotten how many newbies do not have any land, or even know how to get some or effort it.

I still remember my days in the infohub, changing my avatar's clothing in a pop-up skybox dressing room that would derez after 30 mins.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

How about this idea. Create a game which new residents can learn easily and play. Like running through a maze. Then create a betting system where the audience of residents can place bets on first place. This type of gambling would be allowed because the outcome is skill based. The audience gets to gamble and cheer on the runners. The new residents get to win a piece of the betting pool.

Well, be sure to run all the residents through it first, and consider offering other activities for the more cooperatively-minded who think competitions like that are for the insecure boys to work out for themselves the length of their own mete. The objectors could instead play Among Us?   Karaoki? 

7 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

Well, be sure to run all the residents through it first, and consider offering other activities for the more cooperatively-minded who think competitions like that are for the insecure boys to work out for themselves the length of their own mete. The objectors could instead play Among Us? :3

I just threw out a competition off the top of my head. It could be anything really.

16 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I just threw out a competition off the top of my head. It could be anything really.

I think it's a good idea. I'm probably just reacting to this recursive feeling, but nevermind that. It's just, anything remotely real-time comes down to all sorts of network and computer performance issues. Older computers, systems with less memory, neighborhoods underserved by their ISPs all have a natural disadvantage in tweak-based gaming, so it's just food for thought when it's something new users are encountering because it may not be a standard experience for everyone. I suppose we could already do sailboat races; the wind is actually simulated. Kind of. 

Untitled-1.jpg.e747f7ae90916dc95048f7d94fa2ac88.jpg

9 hours ago, LilithServil said:

I wouldn't entirely be opposed if SL had some sort of way for newbies to obtain free L very slowly, and that's coming from someone who's a creator and has passive income.

It would be aggressively camped & botted.

This is why I keep suggesting a secondary in SL only currency operated with the expectation that it would be gamed - that would almost be the point.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2021 at 11:06 AM, Nyla2k said:

i think we should have surveys for our lindens and daily spins because some people cant afford lindens

Never, never but never fall for that. I fell for a bunch of "survey for linden" scams as a noob and never saw a dime from them. 

I'm glad they're no longer a thing!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Besides, folks would still create automated alt accounts to gather up the freebie L$ and then just transfer all of the money to one or more verified accounts for cashing out.

Surely, the Lindens could easily enough devise algorithms to detect such behavior and ban all the accounts involved, and ban anyone using the same RL ID information from ever cashing out again.

43 minutes ago, PeonyPlum said:

Does playing Linden Realms still allow you to earn Lindens? That was run by Linden Labs.

I believe so but you must have payment info either on file or used.  There was a.thread in the Games section of the forums.

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

And how exactly will that be implemented to help new people earn Lindens?  Maybe you should try and stay on topic.  For once.  Please.

Doesn't help when the thread title doesn't accurately reflect the OP. . .

18 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Surely, the Lindens could easily enough devise algorithms to detect such behavior and ban all the accounts involved, and ban anyone using the same RL ID information from ever cashing out again.

That is often what non-techy types think.

Consider the copyright protection schemes that proliferated in the music, movie, and computer gaming industries. Billions of US$ were spent on development of protection schemes. Every... EVERY... scheme was defeated in weeks (when not days) of its implementation.

Consider the ongoing escalation of hacker viruses and commercial anti-viruses. Cyber warfare is an ever escalating battle.

No matter what the Lab guys do, someone will figure out how to game the system. The Lab has figured out the ONLY way to avoid the problem. A good example of the thinking is portrayed in the 1983 movie War Games. The only way to win is to NOT play.

• Like 2

Just now, Nalates Urriah said:

That is often what non-techy types think.

Consider the copyright protection schemes that proliferated in the music, movie, and computer gaming industries. Billions of US$ were spent on development of protection schemes. Every... EVERY... scheme was defeated in weeks (when not days) of its implementation.

Consider the ongoing escalation of hacker viruses and commercial anti-viruses. Cyber warfare is an ever escalating battle.

No matter what the Lab guys do, someone will figure out how to game the system. The Lab has figured out the ONLY way to avoid the problem. A good example of the thinking is portrayed in the 1983 movie War Games. The only way to win is to NOT play.

We're all forced to pay via credit card anyway, why not just require billing info to be on file with a phone number? That's what Discord does when they want to regulate someone's behavior.

Just now, Chroma Starlight said:

We're all forced to pay via credit card anyway, why not just require billing info to be on file with a phone number? That's what Discord does when they want to regulate someone's behavior.

LL have been quite addiment about not wanting to impose barriers to participation in SL.

Shouldn't need to add real world finical details till the moment you intend to use them, limiting participation as a whole to those who have such information presents a bar than not everyone in SL will be able to meet.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LL have been quite addiment about not wanting to impose barriers to participation in SL.

Shouldn't need to add real world finical details till the moment you intend to use them, limiting participation as a whole to those who have such information presents a bar than not everyone in SL will be able to meet.

A few barriers would go a long way toward making our world a livable place, you know. If an account doesn't have payment info on file, it should be limited in its ability to grief until it has established a positive reputation or enough time has passed, say, thirty days.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chroma Starlight said:

A few barriers would go a long way toward making our world a livable place, you know. If an account doesn't have payment info on file, it should be limited in its ability to grief until it's established a positive reputation or enough time has passed.

Or perhaps we need to stop approaching new accounts as though they are a suspicious underclass and deal with an individuals actions individually.

PIOF should be removed from public view. It is no ones business who does and does not have such information registered with LL. It is a breach of that users privacy and in a world populated by alts, it's not even close to being accurate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Or perhaps we need to stop approaching new accounts as though they are a suspicious underclass and deal with an individuals actions individually.

PIOF should be removed from public view. It is no ones business who does and does not have such information registered with LL. It is a breach of that users privacy and in a world populated by alts, it's not even close to being accurate.

And how will that stop the evitable spread of grief and its weaponized higher level effects?

13 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

But they have limited what new people can earn in Linden Realms by imposing the new rules.  

You must have a payment method on record with Linden Lab, and you must have used it at least once in order to receive a payout for completing quests and collecting crystals.

1 minute ago, Chroma Starlight said:

And how will that stop the evitable spread of grief and its weaponized higher level effects?

Not by imposing systemic restrictions on everyone based on the actions of a tiny minority.

That's like banning all chat because some people swear.

Deal with grief as it happens, on a case by case basis as needed. In SL this is easy to do; land owners have the power to remove people for any reason at all, individuals my block any other individual with equally little need for justification.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

But they have limited what new people can earn in Linden Realms by imposing the new rules.  

You must have a payment method on record with Linden Lab, and you must have used it at least once in order to receive a payout for completing quests and collecting crystals.

Because we - the older established residents - came up with creative ways to farm free money. Newbies aren't making alt/bot armys to play Linden games.

As it's impossible to tell the actual newbies apart, that's the only solution they had if they wished to keep the games. It would have been easier to just remove them entirely.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Not by imposing systemic restrictions on everyone based on the actions of a tiny minority.

But then the tiny minority wins by default because you're allowing them to do whatever they please with higher-level effect.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.