Do you fill out your "First Life" profiles?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes I have a bit of general RL information, like what languages I can use in chat, what I did for a living, In what timezone I live, an indication of my age.
But nothing really specific.

• Like 2

Yup. I rewrite my profile constantly. The first life page doesn't get a lot of attention by me, but I fill it out. I usually include my time zone (EST) because I find that is useful information for me to know about others. Sometimes I get crabby there and admonish "you are not entitled to know more..." and sometimes I over-share. I wish there were more space for words there, actually, but I'm always running out of typing room.

Sometimes I let it be known I'm an INTP, or maybe cis female straight or put a quote or... dunno.

I think I am usually posting a silhouette of a crow there, which could be read a few ways, I tend towards it because as they say around here in my RL, "crows are wicked smaaah(r)t". I like to pretend.

One thing about OTHER people's profiles... I hate hate hate getting surprised by real life photos there. Yeah, I know, it is totally your choice to do that or not, and I'm not the profile police, but for me, personally, I really do not want to know what you look like in real life. It messes with my ability to immerse. Even if the person is gorgeous and looks kind, and has been acting kind, knowing that real life info about you is too much for me. I didn't consent! :)

Then again, in a bout of being grumpy, I posted a sexy picture of Scarlett Johansson as "my" real life picture. A few people actually asked if that was me. "Yeah, sure, yup..."

• Like 2

My RL profile reads:

I was born on a sultry summer's eve in 1970, home schooled in the 1940s, and grew up without TV.

I love: Feynman, Twain, Earhart, J.S/PDQ Bach, Frost, Reinhardt, oscilloscopes, telescopes, microscopes, Scopes Monkey Trial... and defenestration.

Here's my RL profile pic.

fl_image.png?907a321afd6d0c5eedd6bc1a1c9

Am I Anne Francis or the ocelot?

You decide.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

For almost all of my characters, I do not. I do give out my real life picture on one character but I do not communicate anything about my "First Life" in the text box....just some extended lore about the character.

Expecting me to remember something I might have done over 10 years ago is the epitome of insanity. 😉

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2021 at 12:05 AM, Storii Darkheart said:

I usually do have my picture in the first life section, I just have it only viewable by sl friends. 🤷‍♂️

how do you change that to be viewable by only SL friends, inworld?

On 7/4/2021 at 2:52 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

My RL profile reads:

I was born on a sultry summer's eve in 1970, home schooled in the 1940s, and grew up without TV.

I love: Feynman, Twain, Earhart, J.S/PDQ Bach, Frost, Reinhardt, oscilloscopes, telescopes, microscopes, Scopes Monkey Trial... and defenestration.

Here's my RL profile pic.

fl_image.png?907a321afd6d0c5eedd6bc1a1c9

Am I Anne Francis or the ocelot?

You decide.

You're the cat.

Anne passed in '11

58 minutes ago, Iggy UwU said:
On 7/3/2021 at 10:05 PM, Storii Darkheart said:

I usually do have my picture in the first life section, I just have it only viewable by sl friends. 🤷‍♂️

how do you change that to be viewable by only SL friends, inworld?

You can't - not completely anyway.  For the Web profile, which is what the SL viewer shows, you can restrict sections of it -- see below.  The problem is that those settings only apply to the Web profile and not the old Legacy profile view (which are a different older format for the profile).  The Legacy profile is visible via the Firestorm viewer, and probably other third party viewers.  There is no way to restrict any section of the profile in the Legacy view.

image.png.8d921892e14ea64003bdcb428510b331.png

• Like 1

Mine says 'Human female, most dangerous' and leaves it at that.

One of my alts has a complete life-story that I made up, complete with RL picture of someone else with the face obscured.  It's what I go through mentally before I take on that persona in-world.

Imagination is the important thing for a Virtual Life.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You can't - not completely anyway.  For the Web profile, which is what the SL viewer shows, you can restrict sections of it -- see below.  The problem is that those settings only apply to the Web profile and not the old Legacy profile view (which are a different older format for the profile).  The Legacy profile is visible via the Firestorm viewer, and probably other third party viewers.  There is no way to restrict any section of the profile in the Legacy view.

image.png.8d921892e14ea64003bdcb428510b331.png

ah, ok i see! thanks for the information. :)

I don't have a picture on my "First Life" profile page - it's just a blank white square.  I do have a tiny bit of information, mainly so if anyone should read it, they will not have unrealistic expectations about what they think I may be like:

I'm a fairly solitary person in RL (outside of family) and tend to be that way in SL as well. 

Female, happily married, and living in the SLT time zone.

Do you fill out your "First Life" profiles?

That's like asking things like: Can the word 'contrafibularities' be found in a dictionary? My counter-question would be: why don't you look it up for yourself? You lazy bum!

But al semantics and pedantry aside, I'm just assuming you meant to ask: why would or wouldn't you fil out the 1st Life section in your SL profile with an accurate description of your RL self?

Why would I, personally? To show my engagement in SL by taking the time to fill out the forms. And to make clear that my fellow residents are dealing with, obvious to most, but sadly and apparently not obvious to some, a real person behind the avatar.

Why would I not? Because I'm so spiffingly handsome and lead such an interesting first life, that I would not want all the admirers flocking around me like the nasty little stalkers they are. It's a waste of good Profile space. I think it can be used for much more interesting or funny side-notes that may or may not tell something about your nature and your character.

Btw. the answer to the OP's question is 'yes'. And to expand a little on that, last time I checked, there was a picture of my cat in my 1st. There, now you all know. I'm a cat person, not a dog person.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There, now you all know. I'm a cat person, not a dog person.

I'm anaspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation ... :|

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TDD123 said:
39 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I know you (Tari Landar).

Words, you can't write just one.

I would if ok was considered as such.

Yeah, but you're not @Tari Landar. She's trying to turn over a new leaf with her switch to walls of memes, but I think it's just a matter of time before she succumbs. I'm looking forward to it.

• Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.