Do you fill out your "First Life" profiles?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need more picks so yes, it's pretty full of stuff and things.  But I'm with Chris.  Having the first life tab is sort of silly although I do have info there.  Basics though.  Because you know, weirdos on the internet.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

Mine contains the following:

Colorado, USA (Mountain Time, 1 hour ahead of SLT)
♥♥♥
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." 
-  Author Unknown

Along with this picture:

image.png.2354d8ef3d6c0572f36d6d32019c06e8.png

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Storii Darkheart said:

I usually do have my picture in the first life section, I just have it only viewable by sl friends. 🤷‍♂️

Apparently you don't realize that 'friends only' thing only applies to the web profile, whereas the old legacy profiles are visible by everyone.  Anyone using Firestorm, and possibly other third party viewers, can easily see the legacy profiles.

image.png.01f8c3930fac9bdf6fc05d93f49646b8.png

• Like 3

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Apparently you don't realize that 'friends only' thing only applies to the web profile, whereas the old legacy profiles are visible by everyone.  Anyone using Firestorm, and possibly other third party viewers, can easily see the legacy profiles.

image.png.01f8c3930fac9bdf6fc05d93f49646b8.png

Oof. That’s awkward. Oh well. Such is life 😂

• Haha 3

I filled mine out and it links to my website (under my real name). I don't use profile photos because that does lead to extra harassment, but people knowing my name won't make things any worse than being on social media under my real name already does.

• Like 1

I did.

I come from shooters and MMO's where you might have a few, or even dozens of "characters" you play as. You're often on voice in TeamSpeak with the same few people, using the same "global" name with them all, often on a first name basis. The guys I played with knew who I was, no matter what game I was playing. Admitting who I am in Second Life is as easy as it was in Battlefield or Arma, for me.

If anyone had tried to tell us back then "Well, that's not me when I'm playing [insert game here]", we would have laughed and called them stupid.

• Like 2

I sometimes keep *very* general information there that might save myself and others some grief if I am “someone they might not like very much” (former military, over-40, raised Rural, slightly Impaired, adherent of an Alternative Spirituality). Other times I take all that down and make fun of the notion of placing *real* real-life information somewhere it can be used by Very Bad People.

Personally; I’m here do do all the things that my RL limitations (and physics) restrict. Why would I ever consider wallowing in RL when I can do so much better here?

image.gif

Edited by Amanda Crisp
Adds
  • Like 3

My First Life section has this image:

621326311_404error.jpg.2e292803be4d9eb34493175d453de328.jpg

and it says "Timezone SLT +8. English-speaking only. Only one other person in SL needs to know more than that."

That person is my RL partner who is also my partner in SL (though he doesn't play often).

I will tell people that I'm in the UK (though that's fairly easy to infer from the two items of information already stated).

• Like 1

Yes, I've pretty much always had mine filled out. I do occasionally go and change up my profile though, but currently (and usually) it includes my age and nationality, an RL selfie, and a little disclaimer.

"Thank you for your concern, but I do not 'need Jesus'."

• Like 1

I do sometimes put silly little sayings in the notes of random peoples profiles.. Then every once in a great while I'll see one of my little sayings and  be all excited for a minute..

It's just a little thing I decided to start doing for personal fun, once I knew we could.. hehehehe

• Like 1

I filled mine with my geographic region and time zone, because imagine that, there are people outside USA hours and even zones that are a day ahead.

Other than that I don't feel obliged to provide any additional information or verification. What's next? Put my ID card on display? :P

• Like 1

I'm a RL and SL performer, so my main has LIMITED RL info and the same pic I use as my forum icon. The two alts are "utility creations" and have no profile anyway - they dont exist outside my workshop unless I need to take one of them shopping for new clothes  so that they can try on demos before my main buys something as a "gift" for them.

I'm not secretive in limiting my RL info, I just prefer to give it in conversation rather than on a rando lookup. It would take no effort on anyone's part to track me down to the city I live in, my RL name and my age to the nearest decade. A few folks in SL have my RL phone number and even more have at least one of my email addresses. My RL "digital identity" is subject to the kind of monitoring and additional security you can imagine an old geek would set up, and I'm pretty much cool with the effectiveness of that and my ability to maintain it so meh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

I sometimes keep *very* general information there that might save myself and others some grief if I am “someone they might not like very much” (former military, over-40, raised Rural, slightly Impaired, adherent of an Alternative Spirituality

You sound like somebody I'd love to spend a sunny afternoon in a beer-garden somewhere with, just gossiping and "setting the world to rights" :)

• Like 2

mine has this quote "My mind really thinks i’m happy here but hasn’t been able to tell my face." and my blog link. I used to have an RL pic with someone famous i once met for a little while, i ditched it because it confused people that noticed it thinking i was a bloke in RL

• Like 1

"No voice, no pics. Don't break the spell."  That's all I have in mine. I used to have more but apparently no-one ever read it.

Nel has something similar: "UK. Over 18. My RL sex, gender and genital configuration are irrelevant here. Asking for RL info from me proves that your interests do not correlate with mine."

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.