Movement Bug

EmpressCiela

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So this bug randomly popped up as I randomly teleported to a new location and now it's persistent location to location.

For some reason, whenever I make any sort of directional input, my avi will jerk either left or right every fraction of a second without stopping, so she's just kinda twitching and slowly moving in that direction non-stop. It also happens while flying, but she eventually stops until I make another directional input or land. It is also persistent between viewers, as I've tested it in both Black Dragon and Firestorm, so I think it's server-side. idk if there's a way I can fix this, but any advice is appreciated.

Quick update: the bug doesn't affect sitting, it seems. Only flying and standing.

Edited by EmpressCiela

13 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh well, worth a try.  That's the sort of behavior that tells me my mouse is on its last legs.  Maybe yours just has dirty feet?

I thought the same, but unplugging it didn't do anything, and no other software on my laptop is displaying anything that could be remotely linked to that kind of behavior, technically speaking.

1 minute ago, EmpressCiela said:

unplugging it didn't do anything,

That sounds pretty definitive. So probably not the mouse.

no other software on my laptop is displaying anything that could be remotely linked to that kind of behavior

That's possibly a bad conclusion. SL depends on your viewer and the Linden Lab servers trading information 45 times a second. Unlike almost all other applications on your machine, then, it's easy to get erratic behavior of the two systems get out of sync, as they can easily do if you have a problem with something delicate like a motion sensor (mouse).  Still, I agree that it's sounding like a different part of your system.  Time to check cables, connectors, and other loose things.

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That sounds pretty definitive. So probably not the mouse.

That's possibly a bad conclusion. SL depends on your viewer and the Linden Lab servers trading information 45 times a second. Unlike almost all other applications on your machine, then, it's easy to get erratic behavior of the two systems get out of sync, as they can easily do if you have a problem with something delicate like a motion sensor (mouse).  Still, I agree that it's sounding like a different part of your system.  Time to check cables, connectors, and other loose things.

Actually it might not even be that? I just changed outfits to see if maybe there was some sort of wonky collision detection going on that may have caused it (I've never looked at how LL programs their stuff yet) an it actually works now. Oddly. I'm trying out more outfits and it looks like only a specific body I have is affected, which is making me even more confused than I was before lol

… it looks like only a specific body I have is affected, which is making me even more confused than I was before lol

I was going to suggest ruling out server-side influences from attachments by simply removing them all, but this is much quicker: you've already identified the offending attachment. Now to decide how far to investigate further. If it were me, I'd remove the offending attachment, go to a no-scripts sandbox, and add it back and see if it still nudges one direction or another, just to determine if it's a script bug (probably?) or something else (but what?).

Either way, a redelivery might be worth trying, to be able to keep using (a new copy of) the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I was going to suggest ruling out server-side influences from attachments by simply removing them all, but this is much quicker: you've already identified the offending attachment. Now to decide how far to investigate further. If it were me, I'd remove the offending attachment, go to a no-scripts sandbox, and add it back and see if it still nudges one direction or another, just to determine if it's a script bug (probably?) or something else (but what?).

Either way, a redelivery might be worth trying, to be able to keep using (a new copy of) the body.

I'll go ahead and give both a shot when I get home from work later

Ok update: so it seems to be an teleportation bug. I TP'd using a body and outfit I found to be previously unaffected, and now it's reappeared on this one as well. I have also reset all of my viewer's settings to default and that did not help, so I'm pretty confident that this has to be a server-side bug

EDIT: On logging back in, the system had automatically TP'd me to the Welcome Area with the "the area you requested is not available" error, even though I can just right back there. So I guess that confirms the bug to be on the servers.

Edited by EmpressCiela

If you have exhausted all of the tests you can think of, put together a procedure that can be used to replicate the behavior (with the standard LL viewer) and submit a BUG  JIRA report.  It would be most helpful (and most likely to speed up action on the JIRA) if you can demonstrate that this behavior is not unique to your own account or assets.  Try to test your procedure with alt accounts or by having friends replicate the bug.  You should also query the JIRA archives to see if anyone has reported a similar problem.  Then wait. Some bug reports get quick attention; others can languish for ages. 

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you have exhausted all of the tests you can think of, put together a procedure that can be used to replicate the behavior (with the standard LL viewer) and submit a BUG  JIRA report.  It would be most helpful (and most likely to speed up action on the JIRA) if you can demonstrate that this behavior is not unique to your own account or assets.  Try to test your procedure with alt accounts or by having friends replicate the bug.  You should also query the JIRA archives to see if anyone has reported a similar problem.  Then wait. Some bug reports get quick attention; others can languish for ages. 

I submitted a report a while ago, but going through my usual bug hunting procedure is difficult since I have yet to find a catalyst for the bug. I'm certain that it's not based on location, since I've been to multiple places and back by now. I've ruled out outfits/bodies thanks to this last occurrence (the two outfits didn't share any assets), and even in terms of connection strength/stability, I had things open in the background earlier, but this last one was on a fresh reboot of the system. idk what else I can test XD.

Edited by EmpressCiela

Ok, so I finally figured out the issue: it's the RP HUD I use. Somehow, it got bugged during TP at some point. It took going through every last Item I use on a day-to-day basis, but I finally found the cause. Pretty sure I just need to get a new copy.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EmpressCiela said:

Ok, so I finally figured out the issue: it's the RP HUD I use. Somehow, it got bugged during TP at some point. It took going through every last Item I use on a day-to-day basis, but I finally found the cause. Pretty sure I just need to get a new copy.

If it's not a HUD that requires attachment 24/7, you could store it in Favorite Wearable.  I keep all of my often used huds in there for easy access.  There's a menu bar button for favorite wearable, too.

Edited by Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.