Dear Patch Linden

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Patch Linden said:

I also tend to put Horizons in this mental bucket with it's retro-futurism approach on the home designs.   A specific Mid-Century Modern theme would be really fun to do.  😁

Pretty please, Patch!!  I want to be a Jetson-ite in HorizonsVillle!  ♥♥

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I wish I had been able to see that. The 50's and 60's seemed to be a good time to be alive.

It was, but, well  ... the Wheaties boxes did not show the whole truth.  Even the marvelous Mrs. Maisel seems to find the endless round of shirtwaist dresses, heels, and impeccable grooming imposed on women in the 50s something of a drag.  And the voting rights act wasn't until 1965.  But I won't go into it, vastly preferring Bjoyful's positivity  :) 

I'll just say that the arc of history was continuous from WWII to today.  Gravity's Rainbow is still relevant, showing how the rush to win the war, followed by a rush to forget the war and build idyllically happy lives, spawned the monolithic corporations that continue to prey on the American people today, and led directly to the rampant consumerism that now threatens the earth. It also spawned a cultural norm of denial that still impedes the US today.

But anyway.  If a midcentury modern theme shows up, I'll pray for asymmetric roofs and big windows, skip the drudgery of 50's life,  and Jetson it up along with you, Bjoyful!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

We've hit around some of these homes types in the past, definitely took inspiration from 50-70's American homestyle queues with the Traditionals, but not quite that Eichler/Mid-Century Modern approach directly.   I also tend to put Horizons in this mental bucket with it's retro-futurism approach on the home designs.   A specific Mid-Century Modern theme would be really fun to do.  😁

Can we have some more Horizons regions pretty please? Just copy paste a few more out?

The land prices have gotten insane and so many plots are being held in reserve to keep supply constrained - L$130,000 to get out of bed, L$500,000 for 'world edge' that haven't been occupied since the continent was launched. Land barons have ruined this entire continent. 

If you're feeling super brave .. how about relocating us with the rest of the mainland? It's lonely out here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Megan Draper is played by Canadian Actor Jessica Paré  💓🍁

@Patch Linden  Thank goodness the LDPW & Moles are tree lovers because we'd sunburn to a crisp in about 3 minutes in those dystopian Scissorhands suburbs with out the gorgeous landscaping, hand placed with such care in the Traditional Theme.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Can we have some more Horizons regions pretty please? Just copy paste a few more out?

The land prices have gotten insane and so many plots are being held in reserve to keep supply constrained - L$130,000 to get out of bed, L$500,000 for 'world edge' that haven't been occupied since the continent was launched. Land barons have ruined this entire continent. 

If you're feeling super brave .. how about relocating us with the rest of the mainland? It's lonely out here.

Iv never seen Horizon, is it an ”Adult” area?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Always Incognito said:

Iv never seen Horizon, is it an ”Adult” area?

Not especially.

It's adult rated land & loosely attached to Zindra. The land is cleverly parceled so each plot is 1024qm (and covered by std premium) but has 702 Li (double the normal Li allowance). There is the option of a themed home like Bellisseria however they are optional and rarely used.

Actual usage is domestic homes (anyone living explicitly because of the land rating is just overly cautious), mostly land baron speculative holdings and the odd in world store (some of which are adult in nature).

There is a huge multi region Linden game area in the center that also isn't adult in nature.

All the regions are named "Horizons Something". Find us on the mini map.

UkiQxG9.png

Typical parcel layout - notice the large amounts of Linden land, this is the trick behind them being "double prim".

2m3rvR3.png

Edited by Coffee Pancake
added parcel layout note
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Horizons prices are way out of control, I agree. I bought my parcel at what I thought was a totally outrageous price a few years ago.... because I loved the location so much .. this was before Bellisseria was even an option for me. Now the lots near mine are going for more than double what I paid for mine. 

TBH I am not spending much time at my horizon's parcel because I love the Bellisseria ones so much more. However, I am afraid to let it go because I keep thinking that if I want one in the future, it will be out of my budget, so I hang on to what I have even though I rarely spend time there.

Unfortunately, I think it might be hard for the Lab to simply dump new horizons out because they center around their game and they will not want to duplicate the game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

This was our family's car until I was 6 years old...

1962-rambler-classic-custom-1.jpg

Replaced by a good used 1968 model just like this one (even the same colour) in 1970...

12810506-1968-amc-rambler-thumb.jpg

Among my parents friends were members of a jazz quartet and they would play in each others Recreation Rooms or Living Rooms... instrumental tunes like this... always in suit jackets and ties until ties were loosened and sleeves rolled up as the night wore on..

and things got a bit more extreme, trying to match Buddy Rich's impossible drum solo...

Never managed to make it but  ♩ 𝖶𝗈𝗐 ♩ wøw ♩ ωøW ♩ ฬ๏ฬ ♩ 🆆🅾🆆 ♩ 🅦🅞🅦 ♩ Ѡ❤Ѡ ♩ ...just watching them through the bannisters on the stairs as they try, was an adrenaline rush!  ♥♪

I hope you can see why I'd plug into this as a Jestson-ite in HorizonsVille!   WHooOOooOOoOoo!  Cocktails for everyone!  🍸

Edited by BJoyful
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Not especially.

It's adult rated land & loosely attached to Zindra. The land is cleverly parceled so each plot is 1024qm (and covered by std premium) but has 702 Li (double the normal Li allowance). There is the option of a themed home like Bellisseria however they are optional and rarely used.

Actual usage is domestic homes (anyone living explicitly because of the land rating is just overly cautious), mostly land baron speculative holdings and the odd in world store (some of which are adult in nature).

There is a huge multi region Linden game area in the center that also isn't adult in nature.

All the regions are named "Horizons Something". Find us on the mini map.

UkiQxG9.png

Typical parcel layout - notice the large amounts of Linden land, this is the trick behind them being "double prim".

2m3rvR3.png

Thank you I need to explore a bit here! (Will temporary have to change my rating though >.> )

Edited by Always Incognito
  • Like 3

What is this modern-but-mid-century looking house, you ask?

Why it is called "Loftroom" and it is in the old Linden Homes. The really old Linden Homes.

No, it doesn't look quite like the models you are showing but it has that "vintage modern look" for sure.

I call this parcel The Last Stand - The Palm at the End of the Mind.

It's on the world's edge and near the dragon build and it is here I shall await the Mole Axe of Doom.

Yes, as you can see, the bird's fire-fangled feathers dangle down.

I lived in the actual mid-century and the houses we lived in, and the houses we saw, in fact did not look like these models, which I think of as "California". On the East Coast, they favoured split levels, two storeys, with the sunken family room with faux wood paneling and nubby shag carpets. 

Out of 32 sims, I count 10 green dots besides myself, which is 10 more than I thought would be here, and it's only a Thursday afternoon EST.

Sutherland_007.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What is this modern-but-mid-century looking house, you ask?

Why it is called "Loftroom" and it is in the old Linden Homes. The really old Linden Homes.

No, it doesn't look quite like the models you are showing but it has that "vintage modern look" for sure.

I call this parcel The Last Stand - The Palm at the End of the Mind.

It's on the world's edge and near the dragon build and it is here I shall await the Mole Axe of Doom.

Yes, as you can see, the bird's fire-fangled feathers dangle down.

I lived in the actual mid-century and the houses we lived in, and the houses we saw, in fact did not look like these models, which I think of as "California". On the East Coast, they favoured split levels, two storeys, with the sunken family room with faux wood paneling and nubby shag carpets. 

Out of 32 sims, I count 10 green dots besides myself, which is 10 more than I thought would be here, and it's only a Thursday afternoon EST.

Sutherland_007.jpg

BTW I totally get that the newest Linden homes are the ne plus ultra by contrast, but there are two aspects of the old ones I appreciate:

o Misty Mole, God bless her, she of the dragon creator, made tea and sushi that actually delivers. There are very nice picnicking spots in the newest Bellisseria area, but the items don't deliver so you sit there, in active. (If you want an add-on to the Linden camping kettle with mugs you can drink from, IM me).

o The underwater parts look more realistically like under water would like like. In Bellisseria, the areas are as smooth as a baby's butt, and don't seem realistic. I suppose it would be just that much more work to terraform them and add textures and "clutter," but remember the old areas had "undersea clutter".

Sutherland_008.jpg

Sutherland_009.jpg

• Like 2

This video from 1963 is from a place where we actually lived, and we went to all the places shown in the video. It's scary to look at a film that seems to be "1950s"  stereotype but the 1950s extended into the 1960s and 1970s.

Look at the split level houses - they show trees, although the tract we moved into was shorn of trees when developers bulldozed an old Native American hunting ground and called it "Indian Valley". We used to find arrowheads there. My father planted trees that seemed scrawny when we lived there but today when I look on Google Street View I see they are huge.

Note the $25 million shopping mall called "Midtown Plaza" with the "Parisian" street cafes and fabulous Swiss -style clock.

But today that mall has been razed to the ground, like a lot of malls put out of business by the Internet.

And here's the part this video doesn't show you -- fast forward 10 years, and many of the Dads working in Xerox and Kodak, like my own father and the fathers of my friends who worked for the two giant plants that sustained this area with people and corporate funding, were laid off and never recovered. Those big businesses essentially died (Xerox was bought by a Japanese company), and killed not only by the Internet, but the recession of 1973-1975.

No wonder people want this dream in SL! It is hard to find as it was in RL...

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Unfortunately, I think it might be hard for the Lab to simply dump new horizons out because they center around their game and they will not want to duplicate the game

They could get rid of the game and put housing there instead, lol. I tried the game a couple of years back and found all the levels too easy, except for the last one which I gave up on. I didn't see anyone else playing while I was there.

• Like 1

Palm Springs, Caifornia is an area full of beautiful Mid-Century Modern homes.  If you Google Palm Springs Photos, you'll see them in full glory where so many have been lovingly maintained ♥

78457b7d-f9cf-4a57-b306-cde56d97c467.jpg?q=55&w=1440

Kaufmann2.jpg?w=1000

neutra1-1.jpg

art-house-3_bq5it5.jpg

Palm-Springs-Guide_Update_Stocksy_txp1e32f833Sj9200_Medium_2236623.jpg

Walt Disney's former home ...

Image may contain Housing Villa House Building Grass Plant Tree Hacienda Vegetation Urban and Neighborhood

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

"Loftroom"

That was my favourite model of the Meadowbrook homes!  It was the one I was living in with no furniture when I met Doc!  He took pity on me and sent me a folder of items he had made or scripted, some he was selling on MP https://gyazo.com/8c1857e507c329a8551ee88a5bf9ec5f  I still have it.  It has grown considerably from the 50 or so items he sent me 5 years ago ;D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

They could get rid of the game and put housing there instead, lol. I tried the game a couple of years back and found all the levels too easy, except for the last one which I gave up on. I didn't see anyone else playing while I was there.

It's a good example of all the kinds of games SL isn't very good at .. I did complete it when I first got some land here and that last level is a royal PITA. It's rare to see anyone playing it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

They could get rid of the game and put housing there instead

Maybe they could put a Mole Amusement Park in the middle... perhaps a Moley World?

image.png.97c6e05d6f98b7f9e04124a3202af0f7.png

d4729e952758666287733a98f100ac89.png

Hopefully MOLE-Y WORLD won't ever close for 2 weeks!

• Haha 4

On 7/8/2021 at 4:07 PM, BJoyful said:

Palm Springs, Caifornia is an area full of beautiful Mid-Century Modern homes.  If you Google Palm Springs Photos, you'll see them in full glory where so many have been lovingly maintained 

I think Palm Springs has the best examples of midcentury modern architecture. From homes to libraries, gas stations, grocery stores. Palm Springs takes midcentury modern SERIOUSLY. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.