Dear Patch Linden

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

midtwentiethhouses.thumb.jpg.8f332b29fd130f8f88821374e92e044b.jpg

Classic Linden homes. Mostly vacant.

There's an Eichler-type house on Marketplace.

If that's what you want, you can get it now.

A whole neighborhood of those houses on mainland, with a '50s car in every driveway, would be amusing. Put in a 50's diner and soda fountain, a drive-in theater, and a gas station. Or find a roadside area that has the retail and some abandoned land out back, and build a subdivision.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, animats said:

There's an Eichler-type house on Marketplace.

If that's what you want, you can get it now.

A whole neighborhood of those houses on mainland, with a '50s car in every driveway, would be amusing. Put in a 50's diner and soda fountain, a drive-in theater, and a gas station. Or find a roadside area that has the retail and some abandoned land out back, and build a subdivision.

This would be more useful with links to the mentioned places 👍

• Like 2

10 hours ago, animats said:

fA whole neighborhood of those houses on mainland, with a '50s car in every driveway, would be amusing. Put in a 50's diner and soda fountain, a drive-in theater, and a gas station. Or find a roadside area that has the retail and some abandoned land out back, and build a subdivision.

Or one could start in the Lionheart estate, which already has a builtout midcentury-ish downtown with tram service, and I think some empty commercial space if you want to put in your own diner.  They have a ton of empty parcels, maybe you could make a deal with them and team up with friends to buildout most of a region. 

This puts you down in front of the bowling alley.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lionheart Nala/169/55/28

Back when we rented there, they had the highest-performing regions I had ever encountered.  Most people used "contemporary" prefabs at the time. We had a spot on the river near downtown.

808536065_Snapshot_006crsmall.thumb.png.810a464d7fe1a91373c99cd6a2337240.png

• Like 10

And, for the commercial district...

ce17469436694dbbf2681d59699ad819.jpg

It's Un-American to miss the Cavalcade of Chrome! That would be a fun build for a shopping event.

There's a whole series of Bruce McCall takes on mid-century design. He did many New Yorker covers with such themes.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2021 at 12:51 AM, animats said:

I can never remember the name of that Linden house type, I just call it "university" or "student housing".  I can remember the names of the other three just fine.  If LL replicates the style but not that feel of "school days" in the area between the homes, I wonder how many people will say "Meh, there's something not-right about it"?

Hm, another thing:  Bellisseria houses tend to have eight or four models.  I've always wondered how many models there are of the old Linden housing.

Some of them are in groups too, which I remember appealed greatly to people who were friends or relatives in real life and hoped to share a group of homes in Linden housing.  No idea if any succeeded, but they were eager to roll the dice.

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LibGwen said:

I can never remember the name of that Linden house type

It's called Meadowbrook and was the most popular theme of the old Linden Premium Homes ♥  

I think I do understand what you mean about that feeling.  A sort of utilitarian dwelling, erected very close together but with a good amount of privacy.  Maybe they remind me of military housing.  They are nice inside and out, but not as beautiful as the new Premium Linden Homes ♥ 

To me, Mid-Century Modern is a "Living the American Dream" home ...when America was the envy of the world.  Every aspect of an ideal "Better Homes and Gardens" lifestyle, achievable by every American who worked at jobs they loved and the future was embraced as full of infinite achievements which everyone had a fair chance of accomplishing.  Everyone wanted to be part of that and its too bad things got in the way.  I'd pick this to be the "Matrix" I plugged into! 🥰 🕊️

• Like 3

Here's a good overview of that style.

"American Look" (1958), sponsored by Chevrolet. From the Library of Congress film preservation project.

An excellent overview of mid-century American design.

Edited by animats
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, animats said:

Thank you very much for sharing this @animats !  I love the nostalgic 'epitome' of style and the focus on art as the ultimate goal.  I can't help but wonder where are the LGBTTTQQIAA couples and why are they not sitting around the tables in those boardrooms and why is everyone a WASP?  Oh yeah...  There was no room for 'everyone' in those days and perhaps that's where things went awry 😞  Hugs EVERYONE and wishes for RL Region Restarts so there would have been a chance to include EVERYONE plus a little more peace love and understanding when the scripts  and the code got corrupted. 

I LOVE Second Life ♥♥♥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I posted this set on another thread a while back, but the Loft & Aria has a deal on that style of furniture--a whole living room suite for 300L

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Loft-Alderan-Mid-Century-Living-Room/5493064

Plus they sell some of the parts individually for pretty cheap--just search Alderan on their MP 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw I have my traditional house done up 70s style on the Bellis Home Parade, so I have a lot of 1970s looking things as well. lol

• Like 5

I live in a city with a TON of American midcentury homes, and when I visit them, I classify them into two very crude categories.  I see examples of both in this thread.

1.  Sparse windows in common areas.  Often interestingly grouped into, say, narrow strips of 3 or 4 panes high on a wall.  Or narrow vertical "lights" in unexpected places.  Usually a single picture window in the living room.   The exterior may or may not be striking with neat brickwork or rooflines,  but inside these homes always seem dark to me.  Paricularly given the large roof overhang common in these homes.

2.  Big huge plate glass windows in common areas, often almost an entire wall, except in kitchens, which are usually traditional.  Often there will be a big standalone fireplace in the middle of the common rooms, which helps when furnishing.  In better homes, there may be a large (often concrete) patio space.  Nowadays, those spaces are often outfitted with full outdoor kitchens, more interesting paving, and expanded with an outdoor living room. 

I mention this just to be able to say:  I VASTLY PREFER CATEGORY 2!!  I note that the ever-popular Meadowbrook is more in this style.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Fay Starlight said:

I posted this set on another thread a while back, but the Loft & Aria has a deal on that style of furniture--a whole living room suite for 300L

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Loft-Alderan-Mid-Century-Living-Room/5493064

Plus they sell some of the parts individually for pretty cheap--just search Alderan on their MP 

RE: Loft and Aria - they are one of the most expensive home furnishings vendors out there in SL with their newer releases, but once in a while they release older stuff on MP for a fraction of what their new stuff sells for. Yes, other stores sell older items at reduced cost on MP  (Floorplan, etc) but Loft is the one I see having the greatest discrepancy between their pricing.

Like, for example, those bathroom vanities they sold at Uber last month...that were like $L350. Doesn't sound so bad, till you realized that you had to buy the sink separately, which are like $L400 to $L500.

Edited by Trinity1776
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 4:38 PM, BJoyful said:

I can't help but wonder where are the LGBTTTQQIAA couples and why are they not sitting around the tables in those boardrooms and why is everyone a WASP?  Oh yeah...  There was no room for 'everyone' in those days and perhaps that's where things went awry 😞

I wasn't sophisticated enough yet to pick up if there were subtle suggestions of LGBTQ, but in the 1970s when people asked "Why are they all white men and blonde women?" the answer was "If not, the Southern sponsors will boycott."  Apparently Southern sponsors were/are very powerful, although I wonder if boycotts would really have been significantly injurious.  By the 1980s there was subtle advertising for "and those who aren't in the model husband-wife-2.5 kids situation".

There's an account on YouTube (RwDt09) that assembles compilations of title sequences to old U.S. TV shows.  The shows that are supposed to take place in Texas or Louisiana stick out like a sore thumb because everyone looks the same.

Where *was* mid-century modern, anyway?  I can't think of any places synonymous with it.

Edited by LibGwen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is so interesting! @LibGwen  I was born in 1964 in Canada in a small town settled by pioneers who immigrated from the British Isles and grew to a population of about 10k population by the time I was born and my mum and dad dressed in clothes like in @animats wonderful video.  Our family car was an American Motors Rambler and there were (and still are) about 50 of these Mid-Century Modern  style of houses built in a 1945 -1965 development along a river which skirted the town.  They were stick-built (from scratch - no prefab cupboards, cabinets or built-ins so each has all these custom made) and used lots of fine-grained wood like mahogany for the cabinetry.  Many had those fold-down cooking elements just like in the video 😻  My dad worked as a rough carpenter on many of them and proudly told us which year each was worked on, interesting stories about how the many trades took their turns plumbing, pulling electrical wire, Gyproc-ing (old brand name for drywall… which wasn’t totally trusted to be a proper finish for paint or wall paper so they also had plaster covering the drywall) painting, flooring, carpeting of such high quality that even today it looks like new.  Sometimes the cabinet makers worked before the flooring and sometimes over it, depending on the General Contractor’s preference or the house plans, or what the architect designed.  Then back to plumbing for the hardware (taps, tubs, showers, toilets, bidets) and the electrical fixtures and so on… like a ballet.  They did love their jobs and many took lunch and coffee breaks together, still usually discussing the build progress.  At community parties they greeted each other warmly, bragged and praised each other while they sipped the trendiest new cocktails, dressed up in suits with skinny neckties and gorgeous knee length dresses, kitten-height heels, layers of the latest body shaping lingerie, full make-up and hairstyles worthy of an episode of MadMen!  We were excited to have a babysitter who heated TV dinners for us to eat on TV trays watching 1 of 2 channels we had on TV until they went off the air at 10 PM or Midnight.  I’d watch my mum get dressed up like Harriet Nelson or someone from the Truman Show, Edward Scissorhands or Pleasantville 🥰😉 even if it was just for a Tupperware Party or a visit from the Avon Lady.

Most cities and towns in North America probably have had similar residential developments containing the Mid Century Moderns but many went on to get makeovers in the years since they were first constructed. 🚗 🏡 🌼🦮💗💏💗 

Innocent queries to my normally attentive parents or other adults like “why doesn’t Beth Bronstein have to go to church?” or “why do Miss Lee and Miss Finch never go out on dates with men and only with each other?” were glossed over or ignored, especially if asked in public.  So I guess for me it was the best of times and it was the worst of times.  It was a time when most mums didn’t works at jobs outside home but they could if they wanted to and they could be dentists or florists or gardeners but usually only until they had children and sometimes mums worked after their children were older or away at school or if their husbands died or “moved away” which sometimes meant divorced. 😲 The best of times were because everyone was helpful and polite, less rushed and everyone practised philanthropy and belonged to at least one kind of Service Club or Group to raise funds for worthy projects and causes.  The worst of times because of those unanswered, ignored questions and the nervous or embarrassed glances the adults shot to each other when one of them was asked.  It was like adults were involved in a conspiracy and agreed not to discuss some things… of course they did the same thing when I asked questions about Santa so I wasn’t too worried!

Edited by BJoyful
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/5/2021 at 3:29 PM, animats said:

"American Look" (1958), sponsored by Chevrolet. From the Library of Congress film preservation project.

I love that video. I have it running in Sansar on the TV of a midcentury house that I made there. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BJoyful said:

I’d watch my mum get dressed up like Harriet Nelson or someone from the Truman Show, Edward Scissorhands or Pleasantville 🥰😉 even if it was just for a Tupperware Party or a visit from the Avon Lady.

I wish I had been able to see that. The 50's and 60's seemed to be a good time to be alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

The 50's and 60's seemed to be a good time to be alive.

It was a wonderful time, but so is now ♥  In 50 years the children will feel the same about the 2020s.  The things that are terrifying to you as an adult now will contain treasured memories for them because they spent more time with parents and got to do schoolwork in pajamas and learned how to make ice cream at home ♥ not mindful about how frightened their parents are about the world their children will inherit.  Hopefully we will have shown them that no matter how hard life can be we can make it through.  Keeping their world full of peace love and understanding, not fear and worry will empower them to forgive the mess we left them when we or our leaders didn't know better and worried more about an extra 5% profit than whether  it cost us 500 years of fresh water in the future.  Each of us can change that.  One person can make a much bigger difference than they think they can with only support from their immediate surroundings. ♥  I have Reduced, Reused and Recycled my entire life, because my parents did and knew it was important even if they didn't know exactly why, they understood waste control and management from growing up on farms because there was no garbage pickup of any kind here for farms in the 1920s to 1960s ♥  Enjoy life and LOVE SL ♥

Planting a tree every week is a wonderful gift for the future 🌍 

Edited by BJoyful
afterthought
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

We've hit around some of these homes types in the past, definitely took inspiration from 50-70's American homestyle queues with the Traditionals, but not quite that Eichler/Mid-Century Modern approach directly.   I also tend to put Horizons in this mental bucket with it's retro-futurism approach on the home designs.   A specific Mid-Century Modern theme would be really fun to do.  😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.