Can now pose but not move.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I manage to fix the Bento Angel rig so I can create poses in a way that fit my workflow, but I have some problems and questions I hope folk here can answer or point to a good answer with links. I work in Blender and would like to know how to do it with Blender and best without any plugins, but if you have answer for any other application you can post it here, it may help other users that want to learn to create poses.

1: I wanted to make a sit pose so I moved the bone "mPelvis" down and rotated it backwards, but when I uploaded it (preview) the position and rotation had not been saved so it looked like my avatar sat in the air rather on the ground, how do I adjust height position and rotation for the rig?

2: One avatar I have is named Pokki and it is rigged in a strange was, so when I bend the foot it look dislocated, so in the pose I make I want to just move the foot (in the pose) a bit in relation to the leg bone, is that possible?

3: I Got a 3rd party tail for my avatar and it came with 3 "deformers" to adjust the tail position, even they work I would like to make a own deformer lo get the tail in the right place for my avatar, how do I do that and can I also make a deformer to move the legs out or to move the shoulders backwards?

4: Just now I can only export all bones so when I made a happy tail wag it worked well except for my avatar also stood in a fixed T-pose, how do I only export the animations for some selected bones?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

I work in Blender and would like to know how to do it with Blender and best without any plugins,

Here's something I posted a short while ago that should cover this: 

1: I wanted to make a sit pose so I moved the bone "mPelvis" down and rotated it backwards, but when I uploaded it (preview) the position and rotation had not been saved so it looked like my avatar sat in the air rather on the ground, how do I adjust height position and rotation for the rig?

This is probably the "SL treats 1 unit = 1 inch" issue with BVH importing. If you move mPelvis, say, 0.9 units down in Blender because your model scale is 1 unit = 1 meter, it'll only move down 0.9 inches when the animation plays in SL. The scale factor I mention above can fix this.

2: One avatar I have is named Pokki and it is rigged in a strange was, so when I bend the foot it look dislocated, so in the pose I make I want to just move the foot (in the pose) a bit in relation to the leg bone, is that possible?

Yes, but you have to keyframe that bone's location too, not just rotation. And use the export scaling option. And do NOT check "Root Translation Only". Plus you should be aware of possible deformer or shape slider interactions

3: I Got a 3rd party tail for my avatar and it came with 3 "deformers" to adjust the tail position, even they work I would like to make a own deformer lo get the tail in the right place for my avatar, how do I do that and can I also make a deformer to move the legs out or to move the shoulders backwards?

Make a 1- or 2-frame animation that changes the locations of those bones, export it with all the options from last paragraph, and import it as a looping animation that holds on the last frame and has high priority. (With vanilla Blender and typical SL viewing programs, that's priority 4). You'll also need a script in a body or HUD attachment that keeps that animation running.

One big word of warning: deformers interfere with each other and with SL's avatar shape sliders. They all work by changing bone locations (and, for the sliders at least, sometimes scale). And the location changes tend to overwrite one another instead of getting added together.

4: Just now I can only export all bones so when I made a happy tail wag it worked well except for my avatar also stood in a fixed T-pose, how do I only export the animations for some selected bones?

If you want to be super-sure, you can delete the bones you don't want to affect from your armature before exporting. Just make sure you delete all the way out to, and including, the last child, and don't delete any parents or grandparents of the bones you're moving.

However, you should also be able to get this result by never giving them keyframes. SL ignores -- or at least, it SHOULD ignore -- any bone that never changes at any point in the animation (even if it starts in a non-default pose!) (*) Any of your bones that has no keyframes, or only one, or several but they're all identical, shouldn't get animated when you import and play that animation in SL. In theory.

(*) There is one exception: if you manage to export a BVH with exactly one frame, SL will import and affect every single bone in it. A tailwag won't have one frame, though.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 113 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.