Houseboats?

Liv Dallas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I abandoned my mainland  land in hopes to  find a Linden Labs  Houseboat.  Houseboat was not an option when I went to look at LL areas.  Is there a way to find  a houseboat that someone has abandoned?  Belleseria houseboats have been out for a long while  now, surly someone has left a houseboat high and dry?  How do I find and  acquire a houseboat?

9 minutes ago, Liv Dallas said:

I abandoned my mainland  land in hopes to  find a Linden Labs  Houseboat.  Houseboat was not an option when I went to look at LL areas.  Is there a way to find  a houseboat that someone has abandoned?  Belleseria houseboats have been out for a long while  now, surly someone has left a houseboat high and dry?  How do I find and  acquire a houseboat?

if they don't show on the page, they are not available

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Liv Dallas said:

Put an auto refresher on the house page and set it to alert you when the word you type in comes up (houseboat). Houseboats is the most popular type home and abandoned ones are snatched up as soon as they show.

You can refresh the page 10 times in 10 minutes. You can log off and log in again when you reach the limit, but it is best to set the auto refresh to 72 seconds as suggested here.

EDIT: The link has some outdated info, about how the homes is released. But all the points about abandoned homes is still correct.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Liv Dallas said:

I see..  so if someone has abandoned a houseboat and one is available it will  come up on the  Option of houses to choose from?  Oh what a pain!  Thanks for the information! 

You can always try a Stilt home. Open the map and type in Treeowatoor. (I hope I spelled it correct) This is a public beach in the Stilt homes area of Bellisseria. You can explore a bit there and select Stilt On Water (Water on all sides). Or Stilt on Pier (attached to a pier) or Stilt on Land. Some of the lucky ones get a Stilt home that's half over water, but with the entrance on land.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong.  The homes around Treeowatoor were built recently; I haven't checked, but I bet the Lindens have not yet released them.  You can check that by looking at the name of a parcel (use the About Land page inworld, or just click on it on the map).  If it says "Protected Land", it hasn't been released yet.  If it says "Linden Home", it is ready for release and will probably show up on the Land page soon to be claimed.  If it says anything else, it has probably already been claimed, and the owner renamed the parcel, which you can do when you claim it or afterwards.  The Lindens usually release an entire region, or even sets of regions, at once (not one home at a time).   Once released, homes go into a queue which feeds the Linden Home Land Page, where they can be claimed, one at a time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Liv Dallas said:

Houseboats are the most poular and in much smaller supply than any other theme. They do appear occasionally, but not frequently. As soon as one does appwar, it will be gone in seconds.

• Like 5

@Marianne Littlethe stilts are almost as rare as the houseboats! At least more are being built, so people can vie for them during region releases.  My way of acquiring a Linden home is haphazard. I don’t bother with auto refresh. When I log into the land page, if there’s a theme I’m interested in, I go for it. I’ll refresh a few times. I landed a houseboat this morning, but it didn’t check all the boxes, so I realeased it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The building is a lot more spread than when it started. There are in-progress areas in a number of places now. Different people do different bits (like lay down roads, do the decorations, final checks and so on). These sometimes have markers, such as big colour squares around the whole region (you can see these on the map) and prims with messages on them like saying the road flickers. They also won't release unnamed regions (the ones starting with SSPE). Some are named before the building starts and some are named right at the end.

Once you see all the stages of decor done, the marker prims removed and the region named, that's when the release is likely to be soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

@Marianne Littlethe stilts are almost as rare as the houseboats! At least more are being built, so people can vie for them during region releases.  My way of acquiring a Linden home is haphazard. I don’t bother with auto refresh. When I log into the land page, if there’s a theme I’m interested in, I go for it. I’ll refresh a few times. I landed a houseboat this morning, but it didn’t check all the boxes, so I realeased it. 

Yes and no. Of the three versions, Stilt on Land is often on the page. It is almost common.

I can see one of those, as I type this. Stilt on Water and Stilt on Pier is rare, but I would say the Houseboats is super rare. Just my opinion from what I have seen, but I do not follow the page so close.

16 hours ago, Chloe Bunny said:

There have been many houseboats available today during my SL day - I have one I think I will be sending back to the land page now ...

That does not happen often? 😮 Unless it is a super picky one that look for a special location, so it is catch and release.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Marisa Starbrook said:

I landed a houseboat this morning, but it didn’t check all the boxes, so I realeased it. 

i think , together with the stilts, the houseboats have the lowest amount of very nice situated spots, ..most that come available are in long boring rows

for great locations the nr 1 is Campers, second (shared place) Vics and Trads

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Yes and no. Of the three versions, Stilt on Land is often on the page. It is almost common.

I can see one of those, as I type this. Stilt on Water and Stilt on Pier is rare, but I would say the Houseboats is super rare. Just my opinion from what I have seen, but I do not follow the page so close.

That does not happen often? 😮 Unless it is a super picky one that look for a special location, so it is catch and release.

I usually keep one, pop one in and so on because they can be sparse - yesterday I saw quite a few around outside of what I was doing myself :)

• Like 3

I had a houseboat for awhile, but didn't like being so close to my neighbors you could almost shake hands thru the windows 😆  But last night I watched a travel video & saw some great houseboats. They really are that close, irl.  The attraction for me, would be if you could take your house out for a spin  (& one of the houseboats did just that.  Rent was, if I remember right, $50 thousand a night.) It was like a palace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have hopped around on Bellisseria a lot, because of my building activities and always had the type of home that I wanted within a day.
I never used an auto-refresher. Try to avoid American prime time, then the houses go really quickly.
The houses are not always on a desired location, but for my building purposes always okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have had three different houseboats since joining SL a few months ago.  So they do come up.  The one I have now, still not in perfect location for me, so may try again - but fine for now.  But yes - you are very close sometimes to your neighbours.  But I kind of like that.  In fact, in the other house types I tried, I never once had a neighbour 'IM me', to say hello or anything, and yet I have that happen at every one of the three houseboats I've had, and have even got quite friendly with my one neighbour, and we have chatted a lot - which is nice, and makes it feel more like a real community - rather than a place with loads of houses, with people that must live in them, but just never seen - almost like ghosts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TrishSummers said:

I have had three different houseboats since joining SL a few months ago.  So they do come up.  The one I have now, still not in perfect location for me, so may try again - but fine for now.  But yes - you are very close sometimes to your neighbours.  But I kind of like that.  In fact, in the other house types I tried, I never once had a neighbour 'IM me', to say hello or anything, and yet I have that happen at every one of the three houseboats I've had, and have even got quite friendly with my one neighbour, and we have chatted a lot - which is nice, and makes it feel more like a real community - rather than a place with loads of houses, with people that must live in them, but just never seen - almost like ghosts.

Maybe that has to do more with the neighbor than with the location? I mean, I am not a houseboat person and I frequently chat with my neighbors in my assorted locations. In fact, a few of my neighbors have become close friends.

• Like 1

I am having an issue with the textures in the content creation pack... none of them match (or even come close) to the colors on the houseboat itself. I got a houseboat a few days ago and tried to decorate it. Wasn't working for me, so decided to put up a wall in the barnacle model to separate the lower part into two rooms. So I went to the texture pack and selected Innerwall - Gray. The wall was a drastically different color than the boat walls. So I started trying all of the wall colors and every single one of them.. the wall color and the corresponding color in the texture pack (applied on a prim) were not even close.

So then I decided to try some of the other textures, like the floor textures, the outer textures, the deck textures, etc. NOT a one of them was even close to a match for what the houseboat looks like. I tried it with the default EEP environment for the region and also with the old windlights.. Still no similarity. I tried using full bright to see if that would fix the mismatch.. nope did not!  I even experimented with enabling/disabling the advanced lighting model... No matter what I did, I could not get close to a match.

I cant figure out what is going wrong here. All of the other house types, the textures in the content creation pack match well. Houseboats -- no similarity. I find it hard to believe that a content creation pack could be that off, but I also cant figure out what I could be doing wrong to make such a drastic mismatch. (I am an experienced builder so it is not a matter of not knowing how to apply, scale, etc a texture...)

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

I am having an issue with the textures in the content creation pack... none of them match (or even come close) to the colors on the houseboat itself. I got a houseboat a few days ago and tried to decorate it. Wasn't working for me, so decided to put up a wall in the barnacle model to separate the lower part into two rooms. So I went to the texture pack and selected Innerwall - Gray. The wall was a drastically different color than the boat walls. So I started trying all of the wall colors and every single one of them.. the wall color and the corresponding color in the texture pack (applied on a prim) were not even close.

So then I decided to try some of the other textures, like the floor textures, the outer textures, the deck textures, etc. NOT a one of them was even close to a match for what the houseboat looks like. I tried it with the default EEP environment for the region and also with the old windlights.. Still no similarity. I tried using full bright to see if that would fix the mismatch.. nope did not!  I even experimented with enabling/disabling the advanced lighting model... No matter what I did, I could not get close to a match.

I cant figure out what is going wrong here. All of the other house types, the textures in the content creation pack match well. Houseboats -- no similarity. I find it hard to believe that a content creation pack could be that off, but I also cant figure out what I could be doing wrong to make such a drastic mismatch. (I am an experienced builder so it is not a matter of not knowing how to apply, scale, etc a texture...)

Any suggestions?

The textures included in the pack for the interior walls are the base textures without the baked shadows that are in the actual houseboat builds. I used the base textures and made new textures adding the ambient occlusion manually. I wasn't able to get an absolutely perfect match, but I was able to match it close enough to feel comfortable with the results.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Any suggestions?

You can try to change the resolution, that helped me. 

21 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The textures included in the pack for the interior walls are the base textures without the baked shadows that are in the actual houseboat builds. I used the base textures and made new textures adding the ambient occlusion manually. I wasn't able to get an absolutely perfect match, but I was able to match it close enough to feel comfortable with the results.

Thank you so much for the info. :)

It is odd that LL did houseboat textures this way, because none of the other types of homes have a similar issue. I am a builder at heart, and I tend to build and add on to almost any linden home that I get... adding walls or decks or addon rooms or whatever. This is the first time I have run into the issue with the textures in the content creation packs not matching the home the pack is for.

It seems as if houseboats are in a class of their own and maybe they just are not going to be "my thing."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Thank you so much for the info. :)

It is odd that LL did houseboat textures this way, because none of the other types of homes have a similar issue. I am a builder at heart, and I tend to build and add on to almost any linden home that I get... adding walls or decks or addon rooms or whatever. This is the first time I have run into the issue with the textures in the content creation packs not matching the home the pack is for.

It seems as if houseboats are in a class of their own and maybe they just are not going to be "my thing."

Its strange, I didnt have any problem with building deck and walls applying textures?? Or im not picky enough maybee? Now im getting insecure 😳

Always, maybe it has to do with the model of houseboat you have rezzed. I was pancamming around and noticed that some of the houses have have built addons that look like they match but non of them are Barnacle. I will try another model.. maybe the issue is just with that model.. idk at this point.

Also I noticed that some of the barcacle walls dont match each other in the house itself...

barnacle interrior.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Any suggestions?

I have not seen that issue in a houseboat myself, but I tend to brew my own textures so it's likely I just haven't noticed.  One thing that may be a factor is the orientation of the item you are trying to texture.  It is always best to match textures on the same plane, and then put them into position.  For example, in the figure below, I have approximated the texture of this stilt home, but when I rotate it, it appears much lighter.  I'm sure this isn't what you are dealing with, but thought it worth mentioning for others who may be new to this stuff.  Always match textures on the same plane.  And if there is any colored lighting source in the vicinity, it can really play tricks with how it looks.   

demo.thumb.png.61692832157b9030becb6eab14d0eaf5.png

Edited by Matthieu Quander
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1009 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.