Grey viewer

Leila Refenoir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sometimes I cannot login and when I do the scene is grey. I cannot see my avatar or the surrounding picture.  I have been a premium for a long time and have just re-joined after months of not being able to use SL.

I have done numerous tracerts and it appears that there is a problem with various servers. I have over L$24000 and would like to be able to use them. At the moment it is very frustrating and I hope you will help me.

SL login failure.jpg

SL Snapshot Coberes_001.jpg

6 answers to this question

It seems that you have a DNS issue and server names necessary for grid operation are not resolved properly on your side. Sometimes a simple router reboot may help, sometimes the problem is persistent. If you're trying to connect to Second Life through a proxy or VPN you may want to check if the settings are correct and connection is stable. Even so, I'd suggest trying a different set of DNS servers than - most probably - the ones given by your network provider. You may want to try Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 2

Not sure about you connection.  What's your packet loss when you do get logged in?   

You also have an integrated graphics card which might explain the slow loading of textures.  Those don't do well in SL.  You could try turning down your graphics settings.  Lower your draw distance to around 56.  Also, advanced lighting, although nice, is hard on lower end graphics cards.  You could try turning that off as well.

If you could show your Ping to sim and packet loss, that would be helpful, too.  

I suspect that panterapolnocy is right.  You have a connection problem that might be resolved by adding a new DNS server to whatever is already in your router.  Follow the link that she provided for the Google DNS servers.  They are free and reliable.  Rowan is right that your Intel graphics chip may also be having trouble, but if you reduce the load you are putting on it, it should be OK.  The only other thing I might suggest is lowering your Maximum Bandwidth, which is now at 3000.  Set it no higher than 1500. 1000 may be even better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.