The new SL ad.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

54 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I think LL is trying to appeal to a particular demographic (identified primarily by broadly unrelated characteristics, such as gender, age, education, employment and so on) and that ad is thought to push the right buttons to get a better response than can be attributed to chance alone.

I'm thinking back to when first I starting wondering about trying SL, so a long time ago, being struck by images I'd seen online of Inslico and of Caledon, not because I was particularly interested in Sci-Fi or Steampunk or Victorian RP, but because they made SL look a really interesting place to check out, and see what else I could discover there.    So I think they may not be looking specifically to attract people who actually want to engage in fantasy RP so much as people who think, "that looks interesting and cool.  I wonder what else there is there."

I wasn't talking about roleplay. Stop and think about how much time goes into planning the costume, obtaining the materials, then making it all by hand (not everything can be machine stitched) and then competing against other people who have done the same. That takes an enormous amount of time. I don't think cosplayers are going to spend much time in SL messing around with things when they need to use that time for working on the cosplay.

I know what LL is trying to achieve. They've been trying for almost 20 years and still keep missing the boat. They're aiming at too small/narrow a demographic. Those of us who have been here long are an extremely diverse bunch. So are all the people out there who don't know about SL yet but would love it as long as LL doesn't try to pull the wool over their eyes. Which, imo, is what that commercial does. It may not be intentional but that doesn't change the deceptiveness of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, animats said:

It's a great ad.

For Fortnite.

The first part of that looks like Fortnite avatars with Fortnite costume changes. I was expecting them to pop their chute and start gliding to a target.

2009 Second Life ad.

Is the new one better or worse?

The new one is better. If you know something about SL to being with.

54 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

But they have the time to post for hours on this forum everyday. :)

All of the Youtube video interviews have CC. You just click on CC and there in big white letters are their words.  Sometimes the speech to text algorithm gets a word wrong, usually from some British speaker with a bad accent and mumbling.  The Linden executives speak normal English, so you can rely on the CC for what they are saying.

Two of the relevant recent interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIIG1TWxkc&t=58s       Second Life's Lab Gab SL18B Special with the Linden Lab Leadership Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQI8J2j1VVE       Meet the Lindens 2021 - Brett Linden

I do agree listening to Saffia can be tedious at times.  You can always mute the sound and just watch in Closed Caption.

Have you ever tried to use Youtube's CC? It's not good, at all.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Have you ever tried to use Youtube's CC? It's not good, at all.

I use it when I am playing music or chatting all the time.  The people talk. Their words appear in large text, 2 rows at a time with an 1/8 second delay.  Easy to see and easy to read.  What part of that is "not good at all"?   I would really like you to explain what is not good.  When was the last time you watched a Youtube interview in CC?

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I use it when I am playing music or chatting all the time.  The people talk. Their words appear in large text, 2 rows at a time with an 1/8 second delay.  Easy to see and easy to read.  What part of that is "not good at all"?   I would really like you to explain what is not good.  When was the last time you watched a Youtube interview in CC?

Do you have hearing loss? I do. How many words did you see that were not even close to the word that was actually said or completely garbled? Or did you even notice just how bad that is? I've been using the YT CC for years and it has not improved. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

How many words did you see that were not even close to the word that was actually said or completely garbled? Or did you even notice just how bad that is? I've been using the YT CC for years and it has not improved. 

I just watched a portion of the interviews I posted above in CC.  In 10 mins of watching CC i saw ONE word misspelled, Bellisseria.  Given that it is a made up word that few have ever heard of, I think Youtube CC can be excused for spelling it Belliseira.  Speech to text technology is still improving.  There was no cases of garbling.  The CC reflected exactly what was said.  Brett Linden did use "uh" too much, and it was dutifully spelled out as uh, every time.

If you are watching an Ozzie Osborn interview than I expect the CC is more understandable than his voice.  Garbage in, garbage out.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

4 hours ago, animats said:

It's a great ad.

For Fortnite.

The first part of that looks like Fortnite avatars with Fortnite costume changes. I was expecting them to pop their chute and start gliding to a target.

2009 Second Life ad.

Is the new one better or worse?

Visibly, content quality in SL has improved greatly since 2009.

Script, animation, camera & sound features, not much.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:
4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Sometimes the speech to text algorithm gets a word wrong, usually from some British speaker with a bad accent and mumbling.  The Linden executives speak normal English

I beg your pardon?

Yeah, Brits tend to score much much lower on the 'Name all American presidents' test too. Not very bright, those Brits.

[Update] Me: "President Armin van Buuren, president George H. W. the First, president George W. the Second..."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Do you have hearing loss? I do. How many words did you see that were not even close to the word that was actually said or completely garbled? Or did you even notice just how bad that is? I've been using the YT CC for years and it has not improved. 

Oh my apologies.  I see just what you mean. Clearly Bill Gates is using the CC to communicate with the Illuminati here. Sorry for your hearing loss, as he is speaking clear American English if you turn on the sound:

72a3abfdc40578d88a33e9c7054fec7c.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I recall Brett said they were releasing multiple ads with different approaches and then they would check the metrics on population growth and retention.

Yes, exactly what he said, and a lot more.  But the critics in this thread don't have the time to actually listen to the LL top management interviews.  It would ruin their narrative.

Two of the relevant recent interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIIG1TWxkc&t=58s       Second Life's Lab Gab SL18B Special with the Linden Lab Leadership Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQI8J2j1VVE       Meet the Lindens 2021 - Brett Linden

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Oh my apologies.  I see just what you mean. Clearly Bill Gates is using the CC to communicate with the Illuminati here. Sorry for your hearing loss, as he is speaking clear American English if you turn on the sound:

72a3abfdc40578d88a33e9c7054fec7c.jpg

Can you link the video?

4 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

No, not the Bill Gates one - has nothing to do with LL.  The two SL interviews about marketing are linked  above.  Unless you are Armenian, best to leave the CC in English :)

Edit: nvm I misunderstood. 

Edited by stlshayne

10 minutes ago, stlshayne said:

So we can't independently verify if the CC on the Bill Gates video is legitimately messed up and it's not something on your end?

No, we can not.  But when I called customer service, they also claimed it was on my end as usual.  They are not fooling me though.  The Illuminati only communicate in Armenian.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

3 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I just watched a portion of the interviews I posted above in CC.  In 10 mins of watching CC i saw ONE word misspelled, Bellisseria.  Given that it is a made up word that few have ever heard of, I think Youtube CC can be excused for spelling it Belliseira.  Speech to text technology is still improving.  There was no cases of garbling.  The CC reflected exactly what was said.  Brett Linden did use "uh" too much, and it was dutifully spelled out as uh, every time.

Odd I watched the Brett Linden one (Meet the Lindens 2021 - Brett Linden) with CC on and it was terrible. Absolutely no punctuation making it just confusing. No speaker ID's as to who was speaking and what not. No non-spoken content indications like [Laughing]. No ellipses when correcting himself, like where he is going to say understand and all he gets out is "unders..." but it reads as just "unders tech" looking like it was correct. Also in closed captions you usually never keep the "uh" or "ums" as they are unnecessary and distract from the text.

I also dont know what you are talking about with only one word being misspelled in the first 10 mins either (unless you watched the other vid you posted). Linden's is spelt Lyndon's, the recently deceased CEO is spelt "ebbieltberg". Then after that rather than saying "better known as Ebbe Linden" its reads "better known as i be lyndon" and Linden Lab is "lyndon lab". Then there is sansar spelt correctly earlier on, then, at around 9 mins it becomes "samsara" or my favourite is a few lines later sansar becomes "sensors are still around". Wookie who took over sansar are written as "wiki" then after that Linden Lab becomes "london lab".

All of the above was in the first 10mins of that video you posted. So, I will disagree with you like others have. YouTubes CC is known to be terrible and not compliant to CC codes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Their vision has been made clear by their recent interviews.  Have you watched and listened to what they said?    It doesn't sound like you have.

in the most accesable interview with Strawberry, the emptyness of the answers were excellent... more words and less meaning seemed the lead of that program.

all other meetings or stuff with Lindens are not to follow for a majority of residents, they never got of the point to provide only their timezones with some comfort

Edited by Alwin Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.