Beginner Question, can I combine these parts?

Maaya89

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi together I started SL a few days ago and I'm a little overwhelmed with the avatar customization. I tried some free stuff like the free ebody but I'm not completely happy with it. I want to build an avatar which looks close to me as possible. Body wise I found this:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Chubby-Shape/14625452

Can I adjust these shapes? I'm curvy especially for an Asian woman but not that curvy ;) Also I'd prefer to use another head, this one probably:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MYSTERIKA-Megumi-Shape-CATWA-Catya/16875125

Can I just use the body shape (adjusted) from the first link and head from the second or wouldn't that work?

ย 

Before I spend any money I want to make sure everything will work together. Also can I apply any hair to the head?

Thanks alot for the help.

ย  ย Both shapes are modifiable, so you can manually copy the slider values for the head and body respectively from either shape to combine the two (and adjust them along the way). To do so, just wear a shape, click to edit it, and put down the slider values on a notecard or notepad and then put the noted down values into the other shape (or a new shape).ย 

ย  ย Also, note that those are shapes and that you will need the bodies they're made for for them to look like that - so for those particular ones, a Catwa Catya head and a Belleza Freya body.

ย  ย Neither of those are the 'latest' and 'most up to date' products, but are functional - I'd advise looking into it a bit further and familiarising yourself with the alternatives before spending your money. Catwa has a line of new heads called HDPro (I think there are 2 females ones by now?), and Belleza's body isn't compatible with the latest tech 'thing' (BoM) due to lack of updates from the creator.

Thanks alot for the quick reply and insight. I will look up the HDPro head from Catwa. Is there any body which might be similar andย  has BoM ? I will look up what BoM means now but I've seen it mentioned before in SL.

ย 

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Maaya89 said:

Is there any body which might be similar andย  has BoM ?

ย  ย I'd suggest either Maitreya (due to the large amount of clothes and stuff available for it) or Kupra (it's curvier, but it may be too curvy - there's 2 different Kupra bodies).ย 

ย  ย BoM is a means of using system layers that you wear to put the textures (skin, tattoos, etc) on the body rather than using appliers that function differently (usually a HUD with buttons that you click to put the texture on your body/head via a script). BoM is easier to use and solves a fair few issues, and since appliers are going out of vogue for skins and such, BoM is probably the better option for compatibility with future releases as well.

ย  ย For more information on BoM, Skell made an excellent post explaining how it works, here:ย https://virtualbloke.com/archives/3449

• Like 2

Thanks for the explanation. I will go for Kupra I think. If I can edit this a little bit, it would get me pretty close:

ย 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TSUKI-CHUBBY-KAWAI-SHAPElelutka-evoX-ceylon-inithium-kupra/21798630

ย 

For the head I might go for an "outdated" head from the first post. Would this work with the above by adjusting them as you described? The HDPro head doesn't have any japanese looking shapes yet unfortunately. Maybe in the future I might make the switch when more designs come out.ย 

ย 

Anyway SL looks like a great hobby and timesink ๐Ÿ˜

ย 

ย 

14 minutes ago, Maaya89 said:

For the head I might go for an "outdated" head from the first post. Would this work with the above by adjusting them as you described? The HDPro head doesn't have any japanese looking shapes yet unfortunately. Maybe in the future I might make the switch when more designs come out.ย 

ย  ย  Yes, Catwa's Catya is still among the most popular heads on the grid (there was some data on this in a thread just last week), and it absolutely does work. I know Lelutka has heads that are specifically Asian too.ย 

ย 

LeLUTKA Head Ryn

ย  ย I haven't made any Asian avatars myself, but I think the skin store 'Mudskin' has some skins that should work with it too, and I know Izzie's has a couple of modification layers to help accentuate an Asian look (monolids for example).ย 

ย  ย I suggest you go grab some demoes and try them out together to see if you find something you like!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

Ceylon.

ย  ย Oh yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Didn't see it on Lelutka's Flickr due to the teeny tiny text and them putting it in an advert with 2 other heads!

Orwar has provided you excellent information and advice. I'll put avatar customization in its historical context so you and have a chance of understanding the advertising you are going to encounter.

SL started out with an original avatar optimized reasonably well for 2004 tech. We call that avatar the basic, classic, or system avatar. AKA Ruth or Roth. Take off every thing you can and you are looking at the classic avatar. The classic or aka system avatar uses 'system layers', i.e., skin, tattoos, underwear, shirt (clothes), and jacket. Each of these is on top of the previous. They all are painted on the avatar body like decals on a model.

Shoes and amour were made from prims as we didn't have mesh.

Users wanted better looking avatars and as tech improved the Lab advanced from the Classic avatar to a Mesh avatar. The classic avatar is inside the mesh avatar. The mesh body and head are worn over the classic body hiding it.

The advance was done in stages. Initially mesh bodies and heads were ridged and we had to shape the classic avatar under it all to make clothes fit. Those were the days of the Standard Sizes. An inter mediate step was Liquid Mesh. Now we are using Fitted Mesh. Fitted is so common we seldom mention it as it is assumed Fitted is what we mean. The difference is technical, Suffice to say a body and the clothes made for that body change size and shape as we adjust the avatar shape.

BOM and Appliers are solutions to the same problem. You'll notice that objectsย  in SL have only a single materials layer. Avatars have several layers, all materials aware. Appliers were the solution for mesh bodes needing multiple layers prior to BOM.

Older bodies use several shells of single layer mesh to give the illusion of layers. Appliers were used to get textures on the right part of the body. It was sort of a Russian dolls thing. IT was complex.

Server Side Baking (SSB) was an early solution to improving render efficiency to avatars. But it only worked on the classic avatar. BOM or Bakes On Mesh was a step to add layers to mesh objects. So, now what use to only be possible with avatars is also possible with mesh. We can bake skin, tats, underwear, etc into a single texture and stick it on a mesh object, i.e., usually head, body, or clothes.

Items from all these stages of development are currently on sale. You have to figure out which are for you. What has been said here is that BoM is the way to go. Avoid Appliers until you understand what they are for and how they work and what they work with. Classic/System layer stuff works with BOM. But focus on getting BOM as it will be the new stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Catwa heads are still great. The new hd heads look good if you are zoomed in full screen but no one walks around like that. Itโ€™s like having a necklaceย ย made of a hundred individual prim jewels. Looks great zoomed in but 99% of the time all you see is a few pixels on your neck.ย 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:56 AM, Maaya89 said:

for a more "Asian" look, I'd definitely check out Lelutka's Evolution Ryn head or their Evolution X Ceylon head.ย  You might also have some luck with Genus' Strange head.ย  As for skins, there are several creators that cater to that demographic.ย  I know Mudskin does, but can't remember any others off the top of my head.

• Like 1

Thanks alot everyone for the great tips, advice and explanations. SL seems to be very complicated but the community is great and really helpful. I appreciate that alot. Thanks again :) I might come back for further questions later, for now i have some good starting points.

ย 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Maaya89 said:

Thanks alot everyone for the great tips, advice and explanations. SL seems to be very complicated but the community is great and really helpful. I appreciate that alot. Thanks again :) I might come back for further questions later, for now i have some good starting points.

ย 

You're welcome. There is always someone around with an answer.

SL is and isn't complicated. Because SL started out as a game-prototyping platform we have incredible control over the SL virtual world. Once you understand how a world-in-a-computer works it gets simpler. Fortunately you only have to learn the parts you want to control.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.