dev kits, morality and rats with ponytails

ILoveGUPuss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 6/29/2021 at 3:47 AM, Yukiko Yeshto said:

For both kits, reach out to their CSRs. Maitreya is usually quick to answer. Responses by Legacy might take a bit longer.

I couldn't figure out if you created anything at all yet. If you cannot show anything, that might be the reason why you didn't get a response yet. It could help to start creating on the dev kits you have already, then show your WIPs so they can see that you are indeed creating.

yep i already got maitreya yesterday, even i have no female cloths, only 7 sets of male, and yes, i ve send her and notecard with big description and links, same with application form . Legacy are not answering ingame, they dont have support email or contacts LOOOL, only LiveSupport group ingame where players talk to each other :D 

Edited by ILoveGUPuss

9 hours ago, ILoveGUPuss said:

Thats not a problem, rly guys, there is a lot cheap/free dev kits, for me i used avatar core nova at the start its free or 150l, peeps can find others like avatar 2.0. I talk about how its weird, because even if im not a creator, i bought Legacy male for full price, why cant i get dev kit, what are creators of some bodies scared of? Copyboting? Actually not, everyone can find it in google

In part it's to try and prevent people taking the dev kit and rolling there own mesh body from it ... which is silly as it only stops the honest (who aren't the ones pirating!) .. bit like walmart staff checking receipts as people leave the store (they can't stop you physically or even lay a finger on you, have no right to search you, and can be walked past).

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You cant just transfer weight and call it a day, you always have to tinker with the weight manually.  If the mesh is original, UV is original, and the rigging is partly manual, what would the DMCA claim be ?

Also, there are a bunch of bodies you can get to start with, I think eBody you can get, Tonic costs like $L 100, the zooby body, etc.  its only a couple of the big brands doing the dev-kit monitoring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 7:37 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

In part it's to try and prevent people taking the dev kit and rolling there own mesh body from it ... which is silly as it only stops the honest (who aren't the ones pirating!) .. bit like walmart staff checking receipts as people leave the store (they can't stop you physically or even lay a finger on you, have no right to search you, and can be walked past).

It's really silly because the people who are looking to steal the body are just going to right click and save it off a random person, not put their brand and name in that body brand's radar to be slapped with a law suit LMAO. They're so out of touch they punish their supporters more than they protect themselves.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:44 AM, FreeToSL said:

You cant just transfer weight and call it a day, you always have to tinker with the weight manually.  If the mesh is original, UV is original, and the rigging is partly manual, what would the DMCA claim be ?

Also, there are a bunch of bodies you can get to start with, I think eBody you can get, Tonic costs like $L 100, the zooby body, etc.  its only a couple of the big brands doing the dev-kit monitoring.

You're right. If you rig something to a pirated dev kit they can not legally do anything because you're not breaking IP. They'll just blacklist you on their personal list but that's it.

Edited by Out Jinx
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, ILoveGUPuss said:

yep i already got maitreya yesterday, even i have no female cloths, only 7 sets of male, and yes, i ve send her and notecard with big description and links, same with application form . Legacy are not answering ingame, they dont have support email or contacts LOOOL, only LiveSupport group ingame where players talk to each other :D 

I got legacy real quick without problems

If you have a LOT of time on your hands (I did, through a period of unemployment) you CAN cleanly reverse-engineer a devkit for a body without ripping anything or benefiting from anyone else's rips. You won't be fitting your clothes skintight and it will take a LOT of work, but it can be done. It involves spending long hours (like weeks) in a T-pose wearing a "neutral shape" and painstakingly fitting as many thin cylinder prims as you can cram in around your body as closely as you can by distorting them using regular prim-twisting skills and following where your intuition tells you edge loops should be (avoid using wireframe view to help with this if you can, you want your end result to be as completely "clean-room" as you can manage, viewing the original in wireframe steps a little too close to "using the creators IP" in some jurisdictions). You're not going to be able to approximate a head that way of course, and neither will you be able to achieve a high enough resolution approximate bento hands or feet, but you will be able (after you have pounded your head THROUGH your desk, wall and every other hard surface within reach) to end up with a bunch of prims that together approximate your body in a "neutral shape".

The prims are yours and you are not breaking any rules by downloading them. There are tools that can do this and get them into blender. In their absence, you can do regular prim-twisting in blender too, and you can "export" them manually by noting their parameters and their localpos and localrot within the linkset and creating them in bender one by one. Now in blender, load up an SL avatar skeleton, scale the imported prim shapes to fit it and then fit a mesh around the prims.

Finally, now that your desk, wall etc have been repaired, replastered and redecorated you get to wreck them with your pounding head again by rigging the mesh you created to the SL skeleton and tweaking the weights such that it scales and collision-fits "close enough" to your body when uploaded to the beta grid and worn that you see no excessive poke-through when wearing different shapes and running a bunch of different anims. This will be another effort stretching into weeks of full-time work.

Start to finish I would expect the project to take about 3 months as a minimum. Longer if you suck at rigging as badly as I do. However, if you can achieve a satisfactory result you will have a low-res devkit for your body without using any of the creators IP or ripping anything. Under the terms given by the creator I would not ever qualify for an official Niramyth Aesthetic devkit, I have no store and no interest in joining the fashion marketplace, but doing it this way I can make stuff for myself, rig it to my legally-reverse-engineered devkit and be "close enough" that it "mostly fits" and requires only tweaks to the weights to look acceptable when I wear the items on the avs I have based on that body inworld. Couldn't claim they are "rigged to that body" if I ever sold any of 'em but since I don't sell or otherwise distribute them that's a moot point.

3 hours ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Start to finish I would expect the project to take about 3 months as a minimum

OMG!  now way would I ever want to spend that much time making something, even if it was just for myself..  You seriously have way more patience than I do!

5 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

OMG!  now way would I ever want to spend that much time making something, even if it was just for myself..  You seriously have way more patience than I do!

not patience - an abundance of frustration. Even if I never use it I HATE not having a devkit for a body I wear - it feels like a violation of the SL ethos of "a world created by its residents" - I at least want the option of trying to make myself exactly what I want rather than just getting "close enough" with the products of "annointed creators" and anything rigged to the body, well with few exceptions without the "tailor's dummy" you're just screwed.

As there was no chance of getting the creators devkit it was either a process like this or download a ripper and since I will not, ever, rip....

I try to get the devkits for bodies I or my partner wear. A few just send 'em out without a problem. Some don't reply. One accused me of wanting to rip off their brand and went nuts on me (I promptly trashed that body and everything I owned fitted to it and added the creator to my mental list of "if you're associated with these guys, I'll buy elsewhere if I can" )

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.