1 RL meter = 1 SL meter -builders/creators?

Sebastyne Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Do you happen to know builders (furniture and houses, most importantly) who build as 1 real life meter equals 1 Second Life meter, please? I'm trying to compile a list of sellers who sell stuff sized to real life instead for the 7 foot tall avatar. I know a few places, but not very many.

Thanks

Edited by ToniaThraw
clarifying

3 answers to this question

The SL "meter" is the same as a real life meter, at least insofar as that has any meaning between a digital world and the real one. But most things in SL are sized to fit the average SL avatar and then some, for good reason.

Here's what happens.

Our cameras, or point of view, are positioned above and behind our avatars. So we are looking at the world from a spot about 8 feet off the ground. If you enter a room with an accurate-to-real life 8 foot ceiling, your camera is always going to be colliding with it, or even pushing up into it. Bummer. So, builders make buildings with 12 or 15 foot ceilings. Rats, now lengths and widths look out of proportion.  So the entire building gets made bigger than real life. Oops...now all the furniture looks doll sized. So furniture gets sized up larger too...and we all end up looking like little kids sitting in our parents' chairs, even if our avatars are 6 feet tall or more!

My first SL "home" was a live-aboard yacht that was accurately proportioned.  It was terribly claustrophobic and I spent most of my time up on deck.

• Like 1

Here's some information on real-world sizes useful for work in Second Life.

Typical real-world size information for objects in Second Life

All dimensions in meters. Data from various architectural sources.
Rounded off to 0.005m.

Furniture

Dining table height     0.750
   Chair height            0.460
   Kitchen counter height  0.915
   Bar height              1.010

Buildings

Door height             2.135 (Real world. SL tends to run bigger due to oversize avatars)
    Door width              0.920 (ADA compatible)

Brick dimensions        0.100 × 0.070 × 0.200
    Cinderblock dimensions  0.410 × 0.200 × 0.200
    Stair tread height      0.180
    Stair tread spacing     0.280

Brick and cinderblock dimensions include mortar, so these values are suitable for repeating textures.
Stair tread spacing is a minimum.

If you stay close to these dimensions, but boost door heights a bit, things look reasonably good.

In particular, get stair dimensions right. Off-size stairs look fake, because non-standard stair tread height is very rare in RL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lindal KiddWith the new viewer camera positioning functions, there's no reason to keep building that big anymore, even if before, there were. Camera control huds have been around for a while now, too, which, to me, sealed the deal a long before the latest viewer updates.

Personally, I prefer the 1:1 scale no matter how much OTHERS like to keep it big, and I know I'm not the only one. I know why you want to do it, I'm just saying I don't, and was curious if anyone knew of builders who do build to the scale regardless of the difficulties around it. I just like it this way, that's all... but if there ARE any builders who use the 1:1 scale I'd love to know about them as I'm tired of repositioning animations for everything. I WILL, of course, but I'd love to buy from 1:1 builders if I knew them. I know one or two, but more would be nice.

animats, that's exactly the method I use to scale my stuff: seat height, standard mattress sizes, standard door size and door knob height is good, too, (around 90-100 cm) allowing bigger buildings, that would be grandiose in real life to honour that scale, too. I like to keep my door heights as standard, too, but I often fake by making a prim above the door phantom... if possible, so taller avatars don't get stuck in the door. (Sometimes they do, tho.)

I have a standard size brick in my inventory, too, to scale brick wall -textures realistically.

I also don't lower ceilings, however, as lower ceilings make the floor space look bigger, even if it's in a realistic size. Our eye is so used to certain standard sizes, that I can now scale things quite reliably by eye - I always check but I love it when my eye tells how big things should be.

In some cases, I make things just a tad bigger, but still scaled to a human-sized avatar, my own height, that is, because I can sense the size of things when my avatar is directly my own height. (In high heels, my knees would come up when sitting on a chair, which means that on a regular sitting pose on a realistically scaled seat, my feet would go through the floor, so it is about as much slack that I give to my furniture, which is sometimes too much height for a realistically sized male avatar, whose heel-to-knee height wouldn't be as much as a tall woman's chin in a high heel, but... You know. One adapts.)

Edited by ToniaThraw
Getting a bit passionate. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.